Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-11-02 16:23:49
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Ragnarok.Nightmarelord said: »
So y'all actively use / find facebook useful?
I cant personally remember the last time anything useful came from facebook, myspace, etc. they typically always die out sooner or later.

My singular use for social media is keeping in touch with family and friends who've since moved to other parts of the world.

And cat memes. Please don't diminish the social value of cat memes on the stability of our nation.

Memes of all variety for me. That's the most valuable thing that I've gotten out of social media and I'm relatively active on FB. Though the amount of hate that exists in this world is depressing. I'm just too addicted to memes to stem the bleeding...
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-11-02 16:24:15
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Memes said: »
What % of tiktok users are 11-15 year old girls?

I think you just got put on some list...
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-11-02 16:25:13
Link | Citer | R

there is one great gift that should not be so ignored via social media- we have fewer high school reunions now due to Facebook and the like.

If that's not a win, I don't know what is.
 Ragnarok.Nightmarelord
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: BushinNmL
By Ragnarok.Nightmarelord 2020-11-02 16:27:06
Link | Citer | R

I barely remember high school. People actually go to those lol. i doubt any of my teachers would remember me if theyre still alive.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-11-03 14:47:22
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
That's because we seem to thing "we" are the customers, we aren't.

Data is not the product, using the data to change people's behavior is the product, the more data a person has on them, the easier it is to manipulate them. Data in and of itself is meaningless without extrapolation, and inception.

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
The real product, is the slight imperceptible change in behavior of their users. To quote a dude named Jared in the documentary, that is the only product, that is the only possible product.
........ Yea, I said this.

So.... With that definition of the true product, who are the real customers, and what are their dollars buying them, this is obvious, and it's not for world peace.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-11-03 15:02:45
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
If you have children in this day and age, it is even more important to be aware of what is happening with social media specific trends, that are happening this very second.

By the way, from the OP, something us adults seem to want to gloss over. Especially susceptible to this crap, especially important because they will soon be the majority of decision makers, especially important because these #ManipulationAlgorithms are more influential on them than any other real world peer or parent ever will be......
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-17 08:50:52
Link | Citer | R

Facebook and Twitter doing another Senate hearing about the thing, if that's your thing. starts in 10 minutes(ish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MPU-LOg8c4
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-11-17 08:53:26
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, it doesn't matter anymore.

Facebook and Twitter committed business suicide these past few months, we are all just watching the bleeding out of their userbase.

Congratulations Facebook/Twitter, you are now 2020's MySpace.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-17 08:56:38
Link | Citer | R

Long overdue

Not like anything will change. There will be fines and both sides will laugh and that'll be that.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-11-17 09:02:30
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Not like anything will change.
I'm hoping that they finally impose the Sherman Act on these companies. Especially Google.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-17 09:10:42
Link | Citer | R

"the average milennial checks their phone 157 times DAILY"

*checks my phone 157 times... monthly?* Maybe bi-monthly
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-11-17 09:16:11
Link | Citer | R

I guess it depends on what you check on your phone.

I don't check my phone 157 times a day, week, or month. Maybe around 75-100 times a month.

I would say that 80% of the time is my email, 15% of the time it's my bank account/investment account, and the remaining 5% of the time is to pay various bills I have apps for (insurance, utilities, etc.).

Absolutely zero times do I check my phone for any "social media" posts, and the extent of social media is this website.

So, in essence, I can't say I'm canceling Twitter/Facebook because, well, I don't exist on either of those platforms anyway.
By RadialArcana 2020-11-17 09:36:48
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Honestly, it doesn't matter anymore.

Facebook and Twitter committed business suicide these past few months, we are all just watching the bleeding out of their userbase.

Congratulations Facebook/Twitter, you are now 2020's MySpace.

Nope, not going anywhere.

People will complain, but they will keep using them. The few who actually do stop using them will be tiny in the grand scheme of things.

The only time something popular can die is if it's replaced, there is no widely accepted replacement.
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-11-17 09:37:40
Link | Citer | R

Phone?

I use my smartphone as a dumbphone. I spend too much time on my computer already. I don't need a computer in my pocket / purse.

I don't even have a data plan.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-11-17 09:40:34
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
The only time something popular can die is if it's replaced, there is no widely accepted replacement.
Parler says hi.

I mean, Twitter/Facebook will not automatically die. Just like MySpace didn't automatically died.

It will be a slow death.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-11-17 09:41:27
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I don't even have a data plan.
Wait, there's phone services out there that doesn't force you to have a data plan??? Especially for smart phones???
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-17 09:43:44
Link | Citer | R

You can still get something like Ting with literally only phone call service, yeah.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-17 09:45:15
Link | Citer | R

Oh, Graham just asked Dorsey and Zuckerborg if they saw "the social dilemma"! lol
By RadialArcana 2020-11-17 10:17:11
Link | Citer | R

I think we will move to a position where half the people who use social media will use one platform and the other half will use another, once these companies ban you know who (and they will) the echo chambers will become solidified and new users will automatically start using the ones that align with their beliefs. Using the wrong one will lead to you very quickly being banned, since "wrong think" on either side will become totally unacceptable to be seen.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-11-17 10:25:46
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
I think we will move to a position where half the people who use social media will use one platform and the other half will use another, once these companies ban you know who (and they will) the echo chambers will become solidified and new users will automatically start using the ones that align with their beliefs. Using the wrong one will lead to you very quickly being banned, since "wrong think" on either side will become totally unacceptable to be seen.
I don't know how it is with the UK, but generally speaking, conservatives in US generally don't outright ignore other's viewpoints.

Ridicule them, sure.

But at least not demean them, and most certainly don't cry for them to be outright banned or removed from society. Remember, this is where libertarians come to discuss, and they are at least more open for discussion than the very small fringe group on the right.

I know this is getting a little political, but I'm only talking in the concept of social media platforms (leftist platforms vs. rightist platforms). I'm not talking about politics in general.
By RadialArcana 2020-11-17 10:37:28
Link | Citer | R

I do not see a future where we can all use one platform at all. It's beyond the point of arguing with each other and well into stage of demanding silencing and banning of people who the majority disagree with.

There will be Twitter and there will be Parler, there will be Facebook and some similar company that is made in coming years (or they will be split up by force and become that).

That's the future of social media, we are not destined to come together and accept each others opposing views or find a way to coexist, we are destined to fully embrace echo chambers.

Hopefully it stays in social media but I doubt it will, I don't see great unity in the future for western nations.
[+]