Multiboxing On Ultrawide Monitor?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Multiboxing on ultrawide monitor?
Multiboxing on ultrawide monitor?
By billnes 2020-06-21 13:21:39
Link | Citer | R

Hello all,

If anybody is multiboxing on an ultrawide monitor, I'd like to see what that rig looks like. If you can snap of a picture and post it, that would be greatly appreciated.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-06-21 14:29:58
Link | Citer | R

There's a random question thread, you don't need to make a post about every thought you have.

Ultrawides on their own would look horrible if you stretched the image across. If you effectively used it as a dual screen then it'd look like that, there isn't much to process, it's a *** screen.

There's only 2 ways to achieve using 1 screen though: use windowed mode or set the resolution size, and set the positioning with windower (can be done in the init.txt).

Few of the people smart enough to do the latter are dumb enough to waste time with an ultrawide for games, but I digress.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2020-06-21 14:47:17
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
Few of the people smart enough to do the latter
/
By SimonSes 2020-06-21 14:52:24
Link | Citer | R

Ultrawides on their own would look horrible if you stretched the image across.

Is ultrawide monitor actually stretch game image? I tho you just see more on sides.
By Jetackuu 2020-06-21 14:57:33
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »

Is ultrawide monitor actually stretch game image? I tho you just see more on sides.
I mean, it depends on the settings.
[+]
 Asura.Zidaner
Serveur: Asura
user: Xavierr
By Asura.Zidaner 2020-06-21 15:07:20
Link | Citer | R

god this must be horrible to do. Maybe I misunderstand how this works but I can imagine you looking from one side of the monitor to the other and just getting neck spasms lol.
[+]
By HyperKTM 2020-06-21 16:49:14
Link | Citer | R

I dont multibox on my ultrawide just play as my single char but I have the option to split my screen into 2-16 separate screens. I played ffxi for 15 years went to an ultrawide 6months ago and it's made playing ffxi alot more enjoyable.
 Leviathan.Andret
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-06-21 18:00:53
Link | Citer | R

If you want to have 1 giant windows spanning into ultrawide ratio then you would have an ultra-fat character. FFXI has the monitor ratio setting and I don't think that one support up to ultra-wide ratio.

If you want to have multiple windows and each on one side then I wouldn't recommend it.

I tried playing on a 60' 4k TV with multiple small 720p boxes. It sounds cool at 1st but I eventually ended up playing on 1 big window box 2016:1440, watch Netflix at the other corner and every other boxes would be underneath a bunch of windows.

Playing on multiple windows visible at the same time sounds cool but you can only control 1 windows and the rest of them just giving similar information.
 Carbuncle.Tyleron
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Tyleron
By Carbuncle.Tyleron 2020-06-21 18:51:43
Link | Citer | R

I actually am very interested in this question. I triple box and am playing with set ups. Windower makes it easier as you can set up different profiles.

I am currently doing 4:3 ratio which takes up 1/2 screen then I am running Alts two smaller 4:3 ratios.

I am on a 34 inch but tempted to go bigger
 Asura.Nexdeus
user: Greyfin
By Asura.Nexdeus 2020-06-21 20:35:44
Link | Citer | R

I game on an ultra wide 34 inch, usually dual box. Both characters are set to 1080pn windows, and I've got space for other ffxi related programs on the side. My setup is currently down since I'm moving, but I'll snap a pic once it's up.
 Asura.Botosi
user: Botosi
By Asura.Botosi 2020-06-21 21:47:41
Link | Citer | R

There's a random question thread, you don't need to make a post about every thought you have.

Ultrawides on their own would look horrible if you stretched the image across. If you effectively used it as a dual screen then it'd look like that, there isn't much to process, it's a *** screen.

There's only 2 ways to achieve using 1 screen though: use windowed mode or set the resolution size, and set the positioning with windower (can be done in the init.txt).

Few of the people smart enough to do the latter are dumb enough to waste time with an ultrawide for games, but I digress.

Didn’t know you could edit position in the init file, mind telling me how?
By Jetackuu 2020-06-21 21:53:09
Link | Citer | R

wincontrol, in my case I have these lines

alias screen2 wincontrol move 1920 0
screen2

idk if that's the best syntax but it works
[+]
 Asura.Airoh
user: Anjou
By Asura.Airoh 2020-06-21 21:59:52
Link | Citer | R

I disagree with sentiment on ultrawide for gaming. I originally got my ultrawide for FF14 since it actually helps with game play. I can literally see the entire map while playing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7qa8217S-Y

On FFXI, with the right config, you can play ultrawide and it looks really smooth/beautiful. Here's the one video I created when I was active lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7MWT3JHzO4&t=324s

I LOVE the extra screen room and nothing feels cramped.

I've thought about multiboxing on it, and it seems pretty straight forward to just have windowed settings on the config.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-06-21 22:04:03
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Airoh said: »
I disagree with sentiment on ultrawide for gaming.
Cool story.
By Aerison 2020-06-21 22:39:10
Link | Citer | R

I disagree with sentiment on ultrawide for gaming. I originally got my ultrawide for FF14 since it actually helps with game play. I can literally see the entire map while playing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7qa8217S-Y

On FFXI, with the right config, you can play ultrawide and it looks really smooth/beautiful. Here's the one video I created when I was active lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7MWT3JHzO4&t=324s

I LOVE the extra screen room and nothing feels cramped.

I've thought about multiboxing on it, and it seems pretty straight forward to just have windowed settings on the config.

Yep, agreed. Ultrawide gaming is nice and completely fine for ffxi.
[+]
By missdivine 2020-06-21 23:02:25
Link | Citer | R

I play ffxi on an ultra-wide monitor, is a blessing having 5 windows/ windowed mode on the right side and other tools such as fantasywarp/ scripted, google chrome etc on the left side. Lots of space to place apps
 Asura.Gotenn
user: Gotenn
By Asura.Gotenn 2020-06-21 23:59:33
Link | Citer | R

I don't play on an ultrawide, but I do play my characters borderless and smaller resoulutions. I use the wincontrol built into windower to move the characters around //wincontrol move 1920 0 moves a character over a monitor, or in your case, to 1920 pix to the right. Also supports -pix numbers.
By Mattelot 2020-06-22 11:02:24
Link | Citer | R

you don't need to make a post about every thought you have.

What if.... just what if the thought is fresh and exciting?
 Asura.Tsm
user: rangler33
By Asura.Tsm 2020-06-22 12:37:49
Link | Citer | R

I disagree with sentiment on ultrawide for gaming.
Cool story.
Destroyed.
 Carbuncle.Tyleron
By Carbuncle.Tyleron 2020-06-22 14:34:17
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Gotenn said: »
I don't play on an ultrawide, but I do play my characters borderless and smaller resoulutions. I use the wincontrol built into windower to move the characters around //wincontrol move 1920 0 moves a character over a monitor, or in your case, to 1920 pix to the right. Also supports -pix numbers.

Wow did not know this. I may have to try this next
 Carbuncle.Razziel
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2020-06-22 15:26:00
Link | Citer | R

I played on 3840x1080 for a bit on my 4k monitor. It works fine, and had the top half of my screen for the browser and discord.

But am enjoying playing in 2560x1440 a bit more lately. Plus it doesn't get distorted when I decide to maximize it.
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2020-06-22 18:09:03
Link | Citer | R

I'm running 3440x1440. It's ***' nice to be able to zoom back and see more than diabolos's *** and thighs.
[+]
 Shiva.Arislan
Serveur: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2020-06-23 18:26:41
Link | Citer | R

billnes said: »
If you can snap of a picture and post it, that would be greatly appreciated.

Monitor: 34", 2560x1080
Main window: 1777x1000
Alt window: 800x480

Open corner at the top right is for wikis and youtube :)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Razziel
By Carbuncle.Razziel 2020-06-23 20:41:12
Link | Citer | R

Since we're on the subject I was messing with playing in an Ultrawide(21:9) setting. Config plugin works wonders and the game looks great. But was wondering if someone out there had a custom XIview for this resolution (3840x1440 specifically). Overhead names/pearl/stars look crappy all stretched out.
 Carbuncle.Tyleron
By Carbuncle.Tyleron 2020-07-01 18:34:32
Link | Citer | R

Anyone on 49inch? Just curious about over all experience
By billnes 2020-07-02 07:49:48
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Arislan said: »
billnes said: »
If you can snap of a picture and post it, that would be greatly appreciated.

Monitor: 34", 2560x1080
Main window: 1777x1000
Alt window: 800x480

Open corner at the top right is for wikis and youtube :)

Thanks so much for this... This is what I wanted to see. The two game windows look great together. Right now, I'm using two seperate 16:10 monitors. I'd like to get rid of the one on the right. It's old and the image isn't as good as it used to be. I'll put the center monitor into storage so I have an emergency backup.

[+]