Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 32 33 34 ... 129 130 131

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Viciouss 2020-03-28 16:29:17
Link | Citer | R

lol, you have been proven wrong on every single one of your conspiracies. You don't live in America, you know nothing about this country, you solely rely on Google to peddle your ***.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2020-03-28 16:34:40
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
It seems to be a slow mutator. For such a small boon of good news we should be grateful.
Considering second wave happens 7~ days after people recover from the first and it's the exact same for third wave, the problem isn't so much the mutation but the fact that the virus stays dormant.

I'm surprised that this isn't pushed forward as much as the first wave data when it's actually more important.
By Viciouss 2020-03-28 16:36:41
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
It seems to be a slow mutator. For such a small boon of good news we should be grateful.
Considering second wave happens 7~ days after people recover from the first and it's the exact same for third wave, the problem isn't so much the mutation but the fact that the virus stays dormant.

I'm surprised that this isn't pushed forward as much as the first wave data when it's actually more important.

Back in January when we were still working people were extremely concerned that the virus is a 7-10 day incubation period and its asymptomatic. Obviously thats still a big concern, but its kinda taken a backseat amongst all of our other problems.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2020-03-28 18:08:37
Link | Citer | R

Viciouss said: »

Back in January when we were still working people were extremely concerned that the virus is a 7-10 day incubation period and its asymptomatic. Obviously thats still a big concern, but its kinda taken a backseat amongst all of our other problems.
Yeah but that's still first wave you're talking about.

Back in 2019, people were already reporting Chinese cases of people succumbing to the second wave and started documenting it. It was shut down very quickly officially, but there are still data here and there. I'm just really surprised that other countries haven't talked about this officially as several countries are already on the third wave (Italy and France just to name two).
It's mentioned randomly in articles here and there but it's never developed. "Patients fell ill again X days after being cleared". That's it, it never goes further and the stats of the second wave are never ever shown along with the first wave.

That's the most annoying part because why would we care about the first wave and surviving it if we have a very high chance of facing a second wave despite "healing" from the first one. I mean, we'd want to know how to survive both at least equally.
It's very difficult to find anything actually interesting on the topic considering governments are lying 24/7 and, unfortunately, the one with the most data happens to be China, aka the biggest culprit when it comes to lying.

I'm mostly worried about the "aftermath" rather than the current situation. It's dragging on with very little changes in the past 3 weeks. We've been talking about the same things over and over, it's just that certain countries are catching up 1/2/3 weeks later, but I find it really annoying/suspicious that more advanced countries aren't speaking about these things.
 Leviathan.Draugo
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-03-28 18:11:02
Link | Citer | R

Back in 2019, people were already reporting Chinese cases of people succumbing to the second wave and started documenting it. It was shut down very quickly officially, but there are still data here and there. I'm just really surprised that other countries haven't talked about this officially as several countries are already on the third wave (Italy and France just to name two).
It's mentioned randomly in articles here and there but it's never developed. "Patients fell ill again X days after being cleared". That's it, it never goes further and the stats of the second wave are never ever shown along with the first wave.

That's the most annoying part because why would we care about the first wave and surviving it if we have a very high chance of facing a second wave despite "healing" from the first one.
It's very difficult to find anything actually interesting on the topic considering governments are lying 24/7 and, unfortunately, the one with the most data happens to be China, aka the biggest culprit when it comes to lying.

I'm mostly worried about the "aftermath" rather than the current situation. It's dragging on with very little changes in the past 3 weeks. We've been talking about the same things over and over, it's just that certain countries are catching up 1/2/3 weeks later, but I find it really annoying/suspicious that more advanced countries aren't speaking about these things.
China owns the world, snap of their fingers they could crash half the planet easy.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2020-03-28 18:12:28
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draugo said: »

That's the most annoying part because why would we care about the first wave and surviving it if we have a very high chance of facing a second wave despite "healing" from the first one.

China owns the world, snap of their fingers they could crash half the planet easy.
I don't think we can speak about this on this website but, while they do own part of the world, they don't own all of it. But I'm pretty sure that's another topic entirely and wouldn't fly here.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Odinz 2020-03-29 00:42:02
Link | Citer | R

Where are you getting that from?
Its not going dormant. and that sequence doesn't apply to everyone.
The symptoms manifesting and going away is not the same as the virus going dormant. That's not how the human body works.
Once your body produces antibodies, it is a matter of time before the virus is rendered obsolete. Even if it mutates, your body is familiar with the specific family now and can detect variations of it. Your body starts producing variations of antibodies as well as it gathers information on the structure of the virus, once its identified. Your body is pretty smart too, if it sees something that looks similair to something it fought off in the past, it treats it the same way. This is both a silver bullet and an Achilles heal.

Back to 2nd and 3rd wave - that's not the virus becoming dormant and waking up. That's symptoms. Symptoms are a side effect of your body going to war. Mucus production, the pain in your bones, the cough, the fever - these are all bi-products of your body going to war with a foreign invader.
Some people get symptoms, the fade after 3-4 days, followed by another 5-7 days of symptoms not because the virus has gone dormant and then woken up. But because your body is releasing several fighting mechanisms to address it. From increase blood count of both red and white cells, to using your bone marrow, to increasing your cor temperature - to be more accurate its a transition from "recon" missions, and "carpet bombing" to on-the-ground warfare and finally "target assassination" and/or patriot missiles for defense and early detection radars.
HIV is the virus, AIDS is the body's condition as a result of that virus going active. Covid-19 isn't the same.

To be more accurate, compare it to SARS and MERS.
The only difference is that Covid-19 shows symptoms very late in comparison to those two, and has a much much lower fatality rate.
Also you don't see cases of MERS and SARS anymore because its been contained.

That's why social distancing is the best to combat it. The onset of the symptoms occurs days after the host has been infected and becomes contagious. If Covid-19 was as fatal as MERS and SARS or even Ebola, this entire thing would have been over weeks ago.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-03-29 01:41:47
Link | Citer | R

Obviously you're going to see disagreements among the medical community, but even though the virus is an RNA virus (and therefore more prone to mutations) there doesn't seem to be a heavy concern that this particular virus is going to mutate into something much worse. Apparently it mutates at a slower rate than most flu viruses, and even though there are several strains going around the differences are essentially net-neutral.

I just read a quote by an evolutionary biologist that predicted that once a person gains immunity either by recovery or vaccine they can expect to be protected for "years rather than months" against future strains. Obviously it would be preferable that we eradicate this thing entirely, but at least it should be manageable in the future if we don't.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Pantafernando 2020-03-29 03:29:40
Link | Citer | R

Everytime someone is against lockdown measures, everyone toss Italy example as the one to prove one for all that lockdown is necessary.

They try confusing people though. Yes, according the worldometer, they have the highest amount of deaths of the world. But they also have the greatest death/case ratio (over 10%), almost twice the second highest. That number just can be explained either by a poor medical resources or population more suceptible to this type of disease, as the lockdown dont work on the disease effect but the disease transmission.

Yeah, obviously more cases means more deaths but just the late lockdown there dont explain why they have the highest number of deaths by covid. In terms of cases, the high number is also due by supposelly being the first european country to be effect by the virus.

I just think this measure should be better thought. Yes, maybe it was developed by some top university in europe but that dont mean it shouldnt be criticized. It does need to be criticized so it can improve.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2020-03-29 03:38:29
Link | Citer | R

I just glanced at NBC news, yes, lots of doom and gloom, but there absolutely are positive headlines:

Quote:
Amid our coronavirus fears in Hong Kong, we are slowly making room for hope
Wuhan residents greet loosening restrictions with caution, sigh of relief

Scroll down and find a collection of videos:

Quote:
Top Videos

01:43
Americans find news ways to give back to health care workers

02:24
Social distancing upside has led to less pollution around the world

01:01
Americans today must come together like the Greatest Generation before us

01:43
Americans find news ways to give back to health care workers

02:24
Social distancing upside has led to less pollution around the world

01:01
Americans today must come together like the Greatest Generation before us

00:51
Puppies get to explore closed Georgia Aquarium during pandemic

01:05
Watch New Yorkers cheer for healthcare workers

00:45
Hoda gets emotional after powerful interview about her beloved New Orleans

00:43
Around the world, citizens applaud healthcare workers as they change shifts

Around the world, citizens applaud healthcare workers as they change shifts

In fact, all 7 videos linked on their main page I'd say has a positive spin.

Pop over to ABC:

Quote:
Top Coronavirus Stories
Why coronavirus antibody testing in one town could provide a way forward

Quote:
Health and Science
Why antibody testing could provide way forward
How scientists are looking for a COVID-19 vaccine
People crowdsourcing coronavirus protection
Mothers transmitting COVID-19 at birth possible
Is chloroquine a savior or Wild West of medicine?
COVID-19 'is not a laboratory construct': Study

Not all of those are positive, but more positive and informative than "doom and gloom".

There is a very clear purpose to the doom and gloom, people aren't taking this seriously. And that includes Trump. If you're a journalist who wants to inform the world of the truth, and one source is heavily slanted in one direction, it may be the right play to slant more in the other direction to help get people into the middle.

Not to mention the US just broke 2k deaths, it's ramping up, it's not a time for celebration, thousands of Americans have died, many more are in the hospital. There is positivity to be found (a la "Look for the helpers") but what we need is people to take this pandemic seriously and with proper caution. So your stance of "it's just a flu" like you came in with is literally going to get people killed. You can try to say you're just being positive with it, but I'd say that's a direct example of "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"...or it's ignorance, either or.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rezeak
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Rezeak
By Ragnarok.Rezeak 2020-03-29 03:49:11
Link | Citer | R

kireek said: »
It's dragging on with very little changes in the past 3 weeks. We've been talking about the same things over and over, it's just that certain countries are catching up 1/2/3 weeks later, but I find it really annoying/suspicious that more advanced countries aren't speaking about these things.

The media wants things to get worse, it's wall to wall negativity and they attack anyone that says otherwise. There is no light at the end of the tunnel stories, there are no "we are going to make it!" When any possible cures are mentioned by world leaders they attack them, they find stories about some pleb drinking drain cleaner and dying to discredit it or they actually say a positive drug will kill you if taken in overdose amounts. They refuse to cover positive stories about it even when they exist. They are even arguing now that presidential briefings stop being shown because they get large ratings and offer positivity that isn't wanted (cause that is dangerous apparantely).

The only news media at all that have any positivity are conservative ones, the rest are wall to wall Perma doom and gloom. You say there are no "we are going to make stories", I think yesterday they reported UK could potentially make it with 20k deaths down from 250k so yea.

When any government tries to lift the lockdowns they will attack them in a mass and organized frenzy (the UK tried to not go into lockdown for weeks and were attacked mercilessly by the press and finally relented), they will oppose quarantine of the effected areas so the rest of the nation can return to normality (they want everyone, everywhere to be in lockdown and panic) they will run wall to wall stories of death and gloom to try make people so afraid they demand the lockdown continue.

It's also working, when I went out yesterday I saw people wearing latex gloves and masks and jumping out of the way from people walking towards them like everyone has the plague. I have never seen this kind of reaction to anything before, I live in a fairly small and friendly country town and we have had a handful of cases in the entire region of 110k people (nobody has died). People are still petrified like never before.

I'm starting to be more worried than I have been before, not because of the virus itself but because "this train has no breaks"

*I'm not saying the virus does not exist, I'm not saying we should not be in lockdwon, I'm not saying people have not died, I'm not saying it's not serious. I'm also not going to be posting too much more about it, I get this is mainly a ffxi website.

Media, honestly take it all with a pinch of salt. Like I'm from the UK and really we only have the independent (which still has bad opinion pieces) and the BBC (which isn't always fair but it's pretty close). These two only are balanced because the BBC has not incentive to clickbait and the independent selling point is that it's tries to give a neutral outlook without click-baiting.
Outside of that yea, they all are doom and gloom because it makes money and gets clicks. That said I wouldn't say it's wall to wall doom and gloom. Regardless most media has agendas and stuff at all times it's no different now than it has been in the last 5 years because since the internet it's not good reporting that gets sales it's flashy extreme headlines. Thankfully most people know this.

As for people jumping out the way/gloves etc. You understand right you can be infectious without symptoms which means people that do this are saving lives and it doesn't matter where you live, my friend I think was one of the first cases in my area but he was doing social distancing so he didn't spread it. I do it too and it's not because I'm scared but because it's easy to do and really has no negative effects on me if I stay 2m away from people or respect a cashier is taking a risk and hates telling people over and over that think "Oh it's not bad down here so why do I have to" even tho it's basically a law now.
I do however think the 1 walk a day thing is bs cause my dog needs more than 1 walk a day!

As for being worried, I dunno sure it's scary and all but really there are 2 outcomes we get through this and social distancing works and the health service doesn't fall apart and they can manage it. Or we don't and a lot of people die that may have been able to be saved. The economic things can be dealt with after and yea some people are going to be poorer and other richer but really with been in a very stable economic state for 20 odd years now. To make an example 10-20 year house price in the UK have maybe doubled at best (unless London) go back say 60 year house price has gone up 10-30 times. It's happens. That said if the predicted baby boom happens after this at least I'll have someone to pay my pension!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2020-03-29 04:31:18
Link | Citer | R

Odinz said: »

The symptoms manifesting and going away is not the same as the virus going dormant. That's not how the human body works.
Once your body produces antibodies, it is a matter of time before the virus is rendered obsolete. Even if it mutates, your body is familiar with the specific family now and can detect variations of it. Your body starts producing variations of antibodies as well as it gathers information on the structure of the virus, once its identified. Your body is pretty smart too, if it sees something that looks similair to something it fought off in the past, it treats it the same way. This is both a silver bullet and an Achilles heal.

Back to 2nd and 3rd wave - that's not the virus becoming dormant and waking up. That's symptoms. Symptoms are a side effect of your body going to war. Mucus production, the pain in your bones, the cough, the fever - these are all bi-products of your body going to war with a foreign invader.
Some people get symptoms, the fade after 3-4 days, followed by another 5-7 days of symptoms not because the virus has gone dormant and then woken up. But because your body is releasing several fighting mechanisms to address it. From increase blood count of both red and white cells, to using your bone marrow, to increasing your cor temperature - to be more accurate its a transition from "recon" missions, and "carpet bombing" to on-the-ground warfare and finally "target assassination" and/or patriot missiles for defense and early detection radars.
HIV is the virus, AIDS is the body's condition as a result of that virus going active. Covid-19 isn't the same.

The only difference is that Covid-19 shows symptoms very late in comparison to those two, and has a much much lower fatality rate.

That's why social distancing is the best to combat it. The onset of the symptoms occurs days after the host has been infected and becomes contagious. If Covid-19 was as fatal as MERS and SARS or even Ebola, this entire thing would have been over weeks ago.
Viral reactivation after going dormant is a thing (Varicella-Zoster & HSV-1 are well-known examples). I'm a physician (radiologist) but not an ID specialist so I'm not sure if patients showing symptoms of COVID19 5-7 days after recovery and discharge from the hsopital (documented) is reactivation or something else (window feels too short for reactivation). I saw a Korean ID professor calling it "reactivation", though.

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Odinz 2020-03-29 07:03:42
Link | Citer | R

Moderna and Jenner Institute 3-8 months away from being able to release vaccine.
Just trials now.
2 different type of vaccines though.
Lots of insights in how to treat covid-19 patients.
Another benefit of testing, early treatment (even before symptoms show) = much faster recovery, less complications, higher likelihood of coming out of it unscathed. (no pneumonia)

This means testing is going to be mandatory for a very long time to come, until 100% are vaccinated or immune.
By Viciouss 2020-03-29 10:02:55
Link | Citer | R

The media wants things to get worse, it's wall to wall negativity and they attack anyone that says otherwise.

No. They. Don't.
 Leviathan.Andret
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2020-03-29 10:30:35
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »

Viral reactivation after going dormant is a thing (Varicella-Zoster & HSV-1 are well-known examples). I'm a physician (radiologist) but not an ID specialist so I'm not sure if patients showing symptoms of COVID19 5-7 days after recovery and discharge from the hsopital (documented) is reactivation or something else (window feels too short for reactivation). I saw a Korean ID professor calling it "reactivation", though.

Possible, but I hope it's not a 7-day reactivation. I know certain viruses never really go away and just stick around dormant in parts of the human body and every once in a while they would reactivate and cause symptoms and new infections.

Probably need more information.

Would it be very "sci-fi" to think that there are 2 types of virus. Once you defeat the 1st one the 2nd one gets activated?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-03-29 10:32:31
Link | Citer | R

The media wants things to get worse, it's wall to wall negativity and they attack anyone that says otherwise.

No. They. Don't.
Yes. They. Do.

The media's entire business plan is to push doom and gloom on the people, because fear sells. There is no money in reporting facts anymore, there is only money in digging down in their bias and selling specific information to their base. Anyone who believes that A) media outlets do not pander and B) media outlets do not wish doom and gloom for their own profit are just hyperpartisan sheep.
By Viciouss 2020-03-29 10:41:40
Link | Citer | R

I'm not interested in hearing *** conspiracies about how certain people want this pandemic to worsen. Bash the media as much as you want in order to justify using open sources and trash blogs to push said conspiracies, but they aren't rooting for the coronavirus. Yesterday the US had 19k new cases and 500 deaths. I don't see any media reports cheering it. LoH already completely debunked kireek's shitpost.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-03-29 11:04:38
Link | Citer | R

LoH already completely debunked kireek's shitpost.
Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
I just glanced at NBC news, yes, lots of doom and gloom,
Talk about reading with blinders on.

I don't see any media reports cheering it.
I don't know if you are being purposefully obtuse, or outright lying about this. I'm hoping for the former, but it's most likely the latter.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-03-29 11:28:03
Link | Citer | R

Media doesn't have to 'cheer' it to dramatize it. And, nobody is saying individual people want it to be worse, but their broadcasts are certainly not designed to be optimistic.
By Viciouss 2020-03-29 11:50:37
Link | Citer | R

lol, did you just cut out all the links LoH posted just to falsely accuse me of "reading with blinders on?" That was amusing.

The only news media at all that have any positivity are conservative ones, the rest are wall to wall perma doom and gloom.

This is all this is. You guys are just trying to take shots at the media and as I said, LoH debunked it. Its just an attempt to justify using trash "sources" like Tucker Carlson (as recently as yesterday), Breitbart (LOL), gatewaypundit, Twitter and on down the trash list.

To repeat, no one wants this pandemic to get worse. No one.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2020-03-29 11:59:54
Link | Citer | R

That's info that was originally posted by Chinese doctors before January and that has been talked about by doctors in Italy and France in February.

It wasn't talked about on TV at all, though, only medical papers.

The words I use were words used by the doctors/profs specifically (some of them were virologists), so if they're badly used it's probably the person trying to vulgarize it too much.

It's dragging on with very little changes in the past 3 weeks. We've been talking about the same things over and over, it's just that certain countries are catching up 1/2/3 weeks later, but I find it really annoying/suspicious that more advanced countries aren't speaking about these things.

The media wants things to get worse, it's wall to wall negativity and they attack anyone that says otherwise. There is no light at the end of the tunnel stories, there are no "we are going to make it!" When any possible cures are mentioned by world leaders they attack them, they find stories about some pleb drinking drain cleaner and dying to discredit it or they actually say a positive drug will kill you if taken in overdose amounts. They refuse to cover positive stories about it even when they exist. They are even arguing now that presidential briefings stop being shown because they get large ratings and offer positivity that isn't wanted (cause that is dangerous apparantely).

The only news media at all that have any positivity are conservative ones, the rest are wall to wall perma doom and gloom.

When any government tries to lift the lockdowns they will attack them in a mass and organized frenzy (the UK tried to not go into lockdown for weeks and were attacked mercilessly by the press and finally relented), they will oppose quarantine of the effected areas so the rest of the nation can return to normality (they want everyone, everywhere to be in lockdown and panic) they will run wall to wall stories of death and gloom to try make people so afraid they demand the lockdown continue.

It's also working, when I went out yesterday I saw people wearing latex gloves and masks and jumping out of the way from people walking towards them like everyone has the plague. I have never seen this kind of reaction to anything before, I live in a fairly small and friendly country town and we have had a handful of cases in the entire region of 110k people (nobody has died). People are still petrified like never before.

I'm starting to be more worried than I have been before, not because of the virus itself but because "this train has no brakes"

*I'm not saying the virus does not exist, I'm not saying we should not be in lockdwon, I'm not saying people have not died, I'm not saying it's not serious. I'm also not going to be posting too much more about it, I get this is mainly a ffxi website.
Well, to be honest, I've mostly been reading specialists papers since what, December if not before. I only hear about what's going on on TV/newspapers from my family. They follow this kind of stuff, my family is pretty mixed politically wise, though, so I wouldn't push the agenda on either side considering both say the same stuff here in France (far right actually being the most realistic on the issue).

I'm mostly interested in what specialists that have actually dealt with the virus have to say, tbh. I don't really care about economy and all but that's unfortunately part of the whole issue, too.
We officially know that, in France, finance and health people have been aware about the virus and its unavoidable arrival in France ever since the end of December, at the very least.
This corroborates the leaks formulated by a finance worker who explained Italy would be hit first in EU, 1 month before it was.

Too much stuff going on, all of it is fishy as *** and it's very easy to fall into a bit of conspiracy theory, so I'm mostly stopping myself at what has been officially published, either in those specialist papers or in the medias (talking about stuff that was leaked and that is then confirmed, thus aren't lies).

All I know is that the virus killed people near my family in a rather scary fashion, so while I never doubted the existence of this virus and its effects, I'm more aware about what it really does when ***hits the fan. Given my poor health, I wouldn't last long.
By Jetackuu 2020-03-29 12:25:26
Link | Citer | R

Freehugs said: »
remember to keep your JO crystals charged just in case.

That's OUR thing!
[+]
By volkom 2020-03-29 12:27:02
Link | Citer | R

I have a family member that works at the airport. A lot of the major carriers have scaled back and canceled all flights. This impacts many of the support services like food catering, airport staff/shops etc... but even though there's travel restrictions in place and a lot of people are being furloughed some of the larger airports are still receiving traffic like international flights from japan. I would think countries would want to stop all non-essential flights to reduce the spread...

Post deleted by User.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 32 33 34 ... 129 130 131