Minimum GPU To Run HD Texture Packs And Etc?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Minimum GPU to run HD Texture Packs and Etc?
Minimum GPU to run HD Texture Packs and Etc?
By soralin 2019-12-14 23:47:20
Link | Citer | R

Im looking to throw a cheap GPU on my spare computer so a friend of mine can play FFXI on it with me, it currently has 8GB Ram, an i7 4770, but no GPU.

So thats basically all I need to grab to make it FFXI viable. So Im surer any cheap $60 GPU could run the game on normal settings with Ashita/Windower.

However.

What would you guys say I should get at minimum if I wanna load on the HD Texture packs and using Reshader?

Also, bonus if its already compatible out of the box and doesnt need the Voodoo stuff to work.

I know my AMD Rx380 is currently running FFXI with all the works seamlessly, and didnt need Voodoo to function either.

So, thoughts?

Edit: Looking at it, the GTX 1050 TI seems pretty comparable to the AMD 380, but Im wondering about drivers in that regard, should I still be fine?
 Bahamut.Empyrean
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2019-12-15 02:54:19
Link | Citer | R

If you are looking at anything newer than the GTX 600 series you will be good. This is a 17 year old game. (680 could manage ff14 on max if you overclocked it)

If you are looking at 1050 TI or the AMD 380 you will have more than enough power for this game, just make sure to set up DgVoodoo
By soralin 2019-12-15 14:14:26
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Empyrean said: »
This is a 17 year old game.

As mentioned, with HD Texture Packs that bar gets raised. The HD texture packs make the game way more demanding.

And I just said that I didnt need Voodoo on my 380 which I am using now, and Id prefer a GPU with doesnt require Voodoo setup.
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2019-12-15 15:16:36
Link | Citer | R

soralin said: »
Bahamut.Empyrean said: »
This is a 17 year old game.

As mentioned, with HD Texture Packs that bar gets raised. The HD texture packs make the game way more demanding.

And I just said that I didnt need Voodoo on my 380 which I am using now, and Id prefer a GPU with doesnt require Voodoo setup.

That's not what dgVodoo does, the compatibility is a side benefit not it's primary purpose.

FFXI is a DirectX 8 game, no modern system supports DirectX 8, you would need a system running Windows XP with an old graphics card to get that. Modern OS's and GPU's run DirectX 11 or 12 with a DirectX 9 compatibility layer. Direct3D versions below 9 are passed through another emulation layer.

Looks like this

Game Engine -> DirectX8 Library -> DirectX9 Library -> DirectX 11/12 Library -> Graphics Drivers -> Screen.

This introduces all sorts of weird behavior due to the layers upon layers of abstraction, especially since Microsoft and the Nvidia/AMD/Intel aren't really interested in provided good legacy emulation and instead provide good-enough emulation.

dgVoodoo2 is a proxy, it accepts the legacy DX8 calls on one side, then emulates them through a DX11/12 session on the other side. Because dgVoodo2 establish's the session, it can tell the Graphics Drivers what features to use and how to implement modern things like texture filtering and anti-aliasing. This raises the potential graphics quality, especially since it enables the use of DX11 level shaders and post-processing.

Game Engine -> dgVoodoo2 -> DirectX 11/12 Library -> Graphics Drivers -> Screen.

Post processing is where we can really crank up the quality as DX8 era engines didn't support it much as shader language didn't exist back then. Reshade is the leader for third party shader effects

https://reshade.me/

Amelia's HD textures actually includes a premade reshade profile so the user doesn't need to make their own. Now adding all these dramatically increase's the GPU resources that FFXI use's while also really enhancing how good it looks.

So dgVodooo2 isn't about "a GPU that needs it", that is merely a side benefit for Optimus users. It's real purpose is to open a whole new world of graphics enhancement for older games.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Serveur: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2019-12-16 04:48:09
Link | Citer | R

Im currently running a 1650S on my current rig and am able to use pretty much every HD pack on an SSD with no issue at 1080p/30fps

It also has the latest i7 and 32 gigs of ram though, so dunno how much of what goes where.
 Phoenix.Rizzspeed
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Rizzspeed
By Phoenix.Rizzspeed 2019-12-16 08:16:23
Link | Citer | R

I'd suggest more RAM as not only will you be running the game but also possibly have multiple webpages open to search for stuff.
Double the RAM if possible.
By Jetackuu 2019-12-16 08:36:11
Link | Citer | R

If you can't research things while XI is open on 8gb of ram then you need to reevaluate what you're doing.
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
Serveur: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2019-12-16 09:01:01
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
If you can't research things while XI is open on 8gb of ram then you need to reevaluate what you're doing.

If you only have 8GB of RAM in 2019 you need to re-evaluate what you’re doing.

Edit: PSA to anyone still using 8GB:
32GB (which you don’t really need that much of for gaming or FFXI) of 3200c16 DDR4 for about 100$ is out there waiting to enhance your PC experience.
[+]
By Unzero 2019-12-16 09:04:00
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Zerowone said: »

I've only got 4GB D:
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-12-16 12:26:32
Link | Citer | R

Edit: PSA to anyone still using 8GB:
32GB (which you don’t really need that much of for gaming or FFXI) of 3200c16 DDR4 for about 100$ is out there waiting to enhance your PC experience.

While I would agree that any system bought in the past 2 years if you have 8GB isn't really a good thing- I have a frankenbuild that I only use for FFXI that runs w/ 8GB, and does what I need this machine to do- run FFXI, keep a google chrome window open w/ 2 tabs (ffxiah,com, bg-wiki.com) and stream netflix during boring times.

You're damn right it could be better! Doesn't mean it "has" to be if your needs for the machine are limited.
By soralin 2019-12-16 12:27:59
Link | Citer | R

This isnt my main computer, this is normally just my Plex/torrenting/fileshare box I use as a simple selfhost server, but Im slapping a GPU on it so friends can play stuff on it when they visit, primarily FFXI, Minecraft, ***like that.

I got FFXI installed on it last night, ended up going with a GeForce GT 1030, I hope thats enough to handle Reshade stuff, if not, its not the end of the world and I can not use it.

Really really hope it gets the job done though lol.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2019-12-16 12:57:06
Link | Citer | R

8gb is plenty for most things, especially for those on a budget or mobile.

Recently bought a laptop for a person with only 8gb, the rest of the specs are great though, for the price and can upgrade it later but for what it will be used will be more than enough.

8 I would say is the minimum people should have while using windows.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-12-16 13:41:55
Link | Citer | R

This seems excessive, RAM is something that offers literally no benefit if you aren't going to utilize it. Windows 10, 12 small FFXI instances, background music or video streaming, skype, discord, chrome has me at 11.2GB in use. I would bet there are people on here who could even go without a page file at 8GB, meaning any more does literally nothing for them.

It's not an expensive upgrade, and if you do photoshop, video encoding, or a few other memory intensive tasks it'll do wonders for you. But, if you're not using it, you don't need it.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Serveur: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2019-12-16 13:51:11
Link | Citer | R

8 gigs of RAM is the minimum you would want for a home PC, and 16 gigs is the optimal amount for current gen software. Anything beyond 16 gigs is overkill in the current marketplace unless you know you're going to be running a lot of extremely taxing video editing software. You can run multiple PC games, open a dozen or two streaming media channels, and have a few dozen browser tabs open all at the same time and still be fine with 16 gigs of ram. 32 gigabyte options are out there, but it really takes a lot of effort to tap out your resources to the point any of it becomes relevant. That may change in the future of course, but with the current generation of software it shouldn't be necessary.
[+]
By soralin 2019-12-16 14:36:29
Link | Citer | R

As a professional software developer, running a game, a dozen chrome tabs open, and having Visual Studio running to debug code still rarely puts me at over 6GB of ram used.

Your bottleneck is going to be far more likely to be on your GPU, Hard Drive, or CPU before RAM ever has issues.

8GB is plenty unless you are doing stuff like Image/Video/Music Editing (which are extremely memory hungry things), in which case it becomes a "there is no such thing as too much" deal.

But any professional editor worth their salt knows that.

Up until then, you'll get way better value spending that money on a better GPU, CPU, or buying an M2 drive, rather than another 8GB of Ram. That stuff will provide far far bigger performance boosts for best bang for your buck.

Ill report back with how the GT 1030 performed tonight, as long as I can hit 30 FPS on FFXI I am happy!
By Jetackuu 2019-12-16 17:30:25
Link | Citer | R

Awhile back I was looking at a 1050 4gb card (half height) as it was the best I could get to fit the case, definitely let us know how a 1030 runs the game.
 Leviathan.Andret
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-12-16 21:21:01
Link | Citer | R

What's your budget?

At this moment, I would recommend RX570 if you can nab it at less than $130. Newegg is having it for $130 but you can find cheaper. It's frankly too powerful for anything under it. It's 3-4 times stronger than GTX1050 which is similarly priced.

GTX1050 is simply too weak and probably costs more. It's successor the GTX1650 is still not worth it when the RX570 still beats it by 20%.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [668 days between previous and next post]
By Jetackuu 2021-10-14 13:00:43
Link | Citer | R

soralin said: »
Ill report back with how the GT 1030 performed tonight, as long as I can hit 30 FPS on FFXI I am happy!
How did that go btw? (necro from hell)