users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Packetgate - Results
Packetgate - Results
First Page 2 ... 29 30 31
By Pantafernando 2019-11-16 15:03:30
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Regarding an Item Duplication Exploit
Good day, adventurers. This is the Special Task Force (STF), the team charged with investigating and suppressing unethical conduct that negatively impacts players’ FINAL FANTASY XI experience.

Several days ago we confirmed that some players were using an external program to create duplicates of specific in-game items. We would first like to apologize for the concern that this has caused, as bits and pieces of this information were posted on unofficial fan sites and message boards.

This message is to inform you of the measures we have taken to address the exploit and the punishment disseminated to the culpable parties.

Background Information and How We Have Addressed the Exploit
On the night of November 12 (Japan time), we received a bug report stating that it was possible to receive an unlimited number of Beastmen’s Medals and Kindred’s Medals. We acted immediately to verify the report, and determined that it was, in fact, possible to duplicate the items in question. We consulted with producer Akihiko Matsui and temporarily removed the affected NPC as a provisional emergency measure.

The development team then undertook a detailed investigation and confirmed that the exploit did exist and pinpointed concrete methods for consistently reproducing said exploit. As part of the emergency maintenance on November 14 (Japan time), we implemented a server-side fix addressing the exploit and have confirmed that it is no longer possible to duplicate items in this manner.
Player Punishment for Abuse of the Exploit
While the development team worked to fix the underlying cause, the STF focused on investigating suspicious players. We have completed our investigation of all characters who interacted with the NPC in question from early last week until the NPC was temporarily removed, and discovered that 45 players used the aforementioned exploit. We terminated the accounts of those 45 players on November 13 (Japan time).

We take the integrity of the game very seriously, and are widening the scope of the investigation to determine if any players used this exploit before the period in question, and whether or not it was possible for similar exploits to be used on other NPCs or items. If we discover any related conduct, those players will be punished in the same manner.

As we have communicated to players since the game’s inception, the use of external programs in FINAL FANTASY XI violates the Terms of Use, and we will take all necessary measures against players who do so, up to and including account termination. We would like to take this opportunity to again warn you against using such programs, as doing so will put your account in jeopardy.

If you witness any suspicious activity in-game or read information on how to perform such activities on external sources, do not try them yourself or distribute the information to others, and instead report them to the STF immediately.

We will continue to remain ever vigilant against suspicious activity in FINAL FANTASY XI and ask for your continued support in ensuring a level playing field for all players.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2019-11-16 15:18:13
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
If you witness any suspicious activity in-game or read information on how to perform such activities on external sources, do not try them yourself or distribute the information to others, and instead report them to the STF immediately.

We will continue to remain ever vigilant against suspicious activity in FINAL FANTASY XI and ask for your continued support in ensuring a level playing field for all players.
Why does this make me feel like SE is more angry about how a certain player brought the dupe to light instead of the exploit itself?
Like, don't let our other customers know how little effort we put into securing a fair playing experience; just tell us. we can sweep it under the rug, ban the ones that were obvious enough to get spotted, and ignore the actual problem next time...and there will probably be many more next times as we've been told the code is made of spaghetti.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-11-16 15:18:37
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Bahamut.Hismena
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Hismena 2019-11-16 15:23:51
Link | Citer | R

This was a couple of days late, but alright. Yes, this is quoting an official boards post.
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2019-11-16 15:26:05
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »
RESULTS
[+]
By Pantafernando 2019-11-16 15:29:00
Link | Citer | R

Title changed
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2019-11-16 15:41:17
Link | Citer | R

Chimerawizard said: »
Quote:

Why does this make me feel like SE is more angry about how a certain player brought the dupe to light instead of the exploit itself?
Like, don't let our other customers know how little effort we put into securing a fair playing experience; just tell us. we can sweep it under the rug, ban the ones that were obvious enough to get spotted, and ignore the actual problem next time...and there will probably be many more next times as we've been told the code is made of spaghetti.

Glad I'm not the only one who looked at it like that lol. *** everything that happen the last few years we only care about the last 2 weeks. Also dont tell the players we haven't done any STF ***in a decade lol.
By Fayona 2019-11-16 15:41:29
Link | Citer | R

Can someone just do a cross server obit for the dusted please?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-16 15:46:12
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

The thing that makes me literally laugh out loud is that STF post. I mean seriously.

Quote:
We take the integrity of the game very seriously
Like mother ***, no you don't. I happen to know for a fact that I have hundreds if not thousands of reports about me personally on the STF. There are thousands of bots on asura, actually a thousand minimum, right now. Players clipping underground and out of bounds to get PL'd on the daily. Hiding in the walls to spend sparks incognito. There's a 40 page JP thread bitching about RMT with pictures and video. What *** integrity are they talking about?
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-11-16 15:49:42
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2019-11-16 15:50:30
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Quote:

The thing that makes me literally laugh out loud is that STF post. I mean seriously.

Quote:
We take the integrity of the game very seriously
Like mother ***, no you don't. I happen to know for a fact that I have hundreds if not thousands of reports about me personally on the STF. There are thousands of bots on asura, actually a thousand minimum, right now. Players clipping underground and out of bounds to get PL'd on the daily. Hiding in the walls to spend sparks incognito. There's a 40 page JP thread bitching about RMT with pictures and video. What *** integrity are they talking about?
That's what I mean it's why I've always said STF has been ***. When they came out about making the STF alot of people called that ***out. Rmts have been doing ***for longer than stf has been out yet no change.
[+]
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2019-11-16 15:54:57
Link | Citer | R

[+]
By cuddlyhamster 2019-11-16 15:55:54
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

Unless you are being targetted by the exploit or are the one doing the exploiting, a GM will tell you that they cannot and will not do ***about it.
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-11-16 15:57:39
Link | Citer | R

If it weren't for the knowledge that things reported to the STF hundreds of times routinely go unpunished, maybe people would be more likely to trust the STF to handle problems.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-11-16 15:58:45
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2019-11-16 15:59:28
Link | Citer | R

[+]
Administrator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2019-11-16 15:59:41
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

Deep Throat was the leaker, so in this case it'd be Thorny.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-11-16 16:01:12
Link | Citer | R

Idiot Boy said: »
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

Deep Throat was the leaker, so in this case it'd be Thorny.

So true. Blew up the one chance I had. Damn my lack of knowledge of the last 60 years of American History. Now ask me for a good meme on the Spanish-American War and I'll give ya one hell of a "Remember the Maine" spoof.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2019-11-16 16:11:26
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Empyrean said: »
Okay you win. This has gotta be the best one yet.
 Bahamut.Empyrean
By Bahamut.Empyrean 2019-11-16 16:12:05
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
Bahamut.Empyrean said: »
Okay you win. This has gotta be the best one yet.
I have more, but KNOW I will get reported...
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Draylo 2019-11-16 17:02:27
Link | Citer | R

Given the fact they admitted to seeing the unofficial fan sites for information, I'm glad the second thread was allowed to stay up. It was really not a good idea to delete it like that given in the past SE has also said they look at these sites too for info from players. I'm sure before they checked the site they already had the reports, but it helped to corroborate them.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-11-16 17:05:14
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
Given the fact they admitted to seeing the unofficial fan sites for information, I'm glad the second thread was allowed to stay up. It was really not a good idea to delete it like that given in the past SE has also said they look at these sites too for info from players. I'm sure before they checked the site they already had the reports, but it helped to corroborate them.

I had a funny thought. I wonder if they had an English speaker translating my memes to them, as well as the information that was provided. If so... that's awesome.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-11-16 17:15:18
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Dexterm said: »
I’d like to know why if windower people knew about it since August like Elidyr says, why none of them reported it.

You know why, but I'm all for actually hearing it from them.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2019-11-16 17:25:55
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Asura.Dexterm said: »
I’d like to know why if windower people knew about it since August like Elidyr says, why none of them reported it.

You know why, but I'm all for actually hearing it from them.
I wouldn't be surprised if they had reported it and SE deleted the report with the stack of STF botting reports.
edit: apparently they did not know. see next page for proofs.
By Pantafernando 2019-11-16 17:26:52
Link | Citer | R

Well 45 people thats a lot more than I could suspect from some "leaking" from Elydir.

If you consider the steps to execute the exploit, it wasnt anything out of the world. Knowing it was not limited to Aurix but every trade in game, makes one think it was not impossible some variations of the "technique" existed for a long time more well hidden. It was just a bad luck for them (more experient exploiters) that some guy found it by chance and just dropped a line on discord, published an addon etc.

Do notice from what SE said in the advertisement, they really just focused on Aurix. Plus they limited the investigation to people who interacted to Aurix since last week. So, lots of char could have been just escaped banhammer for being smarted and instead concentrating on an unique item, use it in others trades.
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2019-11-16 17:27:57
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »

The original thread was taken down as the result of massive reporting against it, and because it contained wide scale references to RMT/bug abuse, and the like. It wasn't an insane decision and I stand with the judgment of the moderator that did it.

Once it became obvious how large the scope of this really was, we decided to leave the second thread up, and then unearth (but lock) the original thread for the full historical context.

We have rules; extraordinary circumstances can affect the application of those rules, because we are people, not algorithms. We don't - and can't - get everything resolved in a way that everyone will like 100% of the time. But I think we got this one as right as we could, and tried to be as transparent as possible about the process.

As always, if you have feedback about the process, send complaints to Kojo.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 29 30 31