Starting My First Craft, Which Should I Chose?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Starting my first craft, which should I chose?
Starting my first craft, which should I chose?
First Page 2
 Ragnarok.Rintsumi
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Rintsumi
By Ragnarok.Rintsumi 2019-09-06 20:22:17
Link | Citer | R

So I just have fishing at 12 and cooking at 29, I started playing in 2005 and left before WotG came out, then came back with a new character in 2012 and left before Adoulin came, and I'm back again to finish everything I wanted to do. Never really tried a craft since I heard sometimes how a 0,1 or so of goldsmithing at high levels would cost you millions. Still I want to level one of them for fun to get a break between farming stuff but also to get profit. My main is DRK and I'm almost finished with Ragnarok and after I'll work more on Caladbolg. Since I know how costy this is and also the materials to reforge armor or the +1 Iosefka belt I wonder if having a craft at high level would help with that, instead of farming dynamis which would be my main income of money once I finish Ragnarok. I farm around 450-650 if I get lucky with 100 coin drops on Valkurm.

Also since I'm a total noob on this, the main profit of craft comes from when you get a +1 right? Since most time I see the materials for the normal items the price add up to the same as the items involved in their craft. How hard is to get a +1 and what factors involve this? Back then I read things like the day, I guess if it's a wind recipe a windsday will have more chance but I also remember reading something even the direction you face matters, but I wonder how much truth there is behind this last one.

I'd love to hace a craft recommendation, and even if my main is DRK well, I guess there isn't much point to pick based on this since what matters is the money you get and you can get what you need with that.

I've found this goldsmith guide that I think it's up to date but I'll wait for recommendations, thanks!

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Goldsmithing_Guide_by_Gatsby
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2019-09-06 20:38:37
Link | Citer | R

these days the only craft left to make anything close to a profit is the Gainer, doing Gain-EXP.

There are enough final-form shields out there that competing against them will be impossible.

Old rules for us non-shield owners regarding HQ rates:

If you are 51 above the required skill level, you can Tier3 synths, about a 50% HQ rate.

If you are 31 above the required skill level, you can Tier2 synths, meaning around a 25% HQ rate.

If you are 11 above the required skill level, you will Tier1 the synth, meaning around a 10-12% HQ rate.

BUT...if the synth you are attempting has a subcraft (requiring 2+ crafting skills), the above rules also come into play for the subcraft. Here's an example-

A synth requires smithing 52, woodworking 27. Your smithing skill is 100. You get advanced support in your guild that's worth +3, meaning you're 51 over the cap- congrats, a Tier3! But your woodworking is capped at 70 (you can only take one craft beyond 70, except fishing, that we can all cap with no effect on the other ones)...only 43 above the cap, sorry its a Tier2 now.

If you want to experience crafting, pick something you'll have fun with and can possibly do some signed gear (you can buy special crystals from your guild or other locations that put your name on the item) for a job you enjoy. But don't expect to be able to make gil off crafting these days without farming 100% of your materials, and even then it'll be a stretch.
[+]
By Josiahafk 2019-09-06 20:41:44
Link | Citer | R

you can use crafting kits to take all the crafts to 60, and then you have a good basis for your next choice of a main craft. Also SE stated outright that direction and day of the week have no bearing regrettably.

Welcome to the site.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Rintsumi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Rintsumi
By Ragnarok.Rintsumi 2019-09-06 22:41:09
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for all the answers! I have been seeing these shields around and I suspected they had something to do with crafts but I didn't know it was something that hardcore. I'll try any craft and see how it goes from there. Thanks!
 Leviathan.Katriina
Serveur: Leviathan
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2019-09-07 01:20:33
Link | Citer | R

Smithing and Goldsmithing are still on top for final shield forms for "profit" with Smithing having an extra edge due to current meta of "COR all the things".

Is it worth the investment? No. But if thats what you enjoy the most out of this game, then these two are the most profitable.

If you want to craft to pimp out your DRK, then Alchemy has the highest gear for it and its not as expensive as the rest.

This is the guide for final forms: Escutcheons

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Sechs
Serveur: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-09-07 04:31:10
Link | Citer | R

Cooking is sorta easy and cheap to bring up, but it's hardly a money maker, depends on your server though I suppose.

Cooking compensates its appearent easiness of levelling up with the fact that each recipe you'll need at max level requires 7+ different ingredients.
Most of these ingredients do not stack.
Most of these ingredients cannot be obtained from NPCs and have to be farmed (fished, camp the AH, camp the limited resource NPCs, gardening and so on).

This can potentially make Cooking incredibly frustrating.

Last but not least the latest recipes added require the Crafting Shield (or the step before), which is an insane amount of time, dedication and money required and, honestly, I'm not sure it's a moneymaker like some of the other shields.

Honestly I suggest Cooking only if your intent is "having at least one capped profession". If that's your goal (get to 110 and then forget about it, mostly) then absolutely go for cooking!
Otherwise I dunno, maybe Alchemy? It's one of the easiest to level up, I think? I dunno a lot of things changed from when I levelled up Alchemy.
Has some money making potential too but don't expect to become rich without the shield, we're talking about pennies here.
By kishr 2019-09-07 04:53:19
Link | Citer | R

How to get all to 60 with crafting kits?

Edit) Looked it up a bit further, just use a kit and a crystal and creates a synth? Then use that from npc to spam lv?
By zeekf7 2019-09-07 05:25:06
Link | Citer | R

That is one way of leveling the crafts, i personally did gsm from 1-80 doing this. I would recommend it although it can get expensive for the kits.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-09-07 09:09:28
Link | Citer | R

Unless you sink the billion gil into an escutcheon, you'll make more gil farming than crafting.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2019-09-07 10:36:02
Link | Citer | R

Is the shield current price 1b (last stage)?
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Serveur: Cerberus
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2019-09-07 11:07:39
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »
Is the shield current price 1b (last stage)?

depends on how heavily you wish to bot on last stage
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2019-09-07 11:36:02
Link | Citer | R

kishr said: »

Edit) Looked it up a bit further, just use a kit and a crystal and creates a synth? Then use that from npc to spam lv?
Yeah you can buy he kits from the npcs, but those will only take you to 60. that way you save time gathering ingredients
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-09-07 11:51:34
Link | Citer | R

You can get every craft to 70 on just NPC mats. Kits to 50, then:

Bonecraft
50 - 55 : Scorpion Arrowheads(2.7k)
55 - 64 : Scorp;ion Ring(3k)
64 - 70 : Beast Horn(3.6k)

Leathercraft
50 - 56 : Raptor Strap(6k)
56 - 70 : Smilodon Leather > Ring (~2k per synth)

Alchemy
50 - 57 : Holy Water(10g, save if going past 70)
56 - 63 : Venom Dust(5k at bone guild, save for next synth)
63 - 70 : Venom Potion(1700 mercury, 1k venom dust once out)

Goldsmithing
50 - 58 : Gold ingots > sheets
58 - 70 : Platinum ingots (sell on AH)

Woodworking
50 - 56 : Mahogany Lumber(4.5k, save if wood main)
56 - 70 : Ebony Lumber(5k, save if wood main)

Clothcraft
50 - 57 : Silk cloth (save for next synth)
57-64 : Green Ribbon
64 - 72 : Black choco fletchings (use advanced support)

Smithing
50-63 : Darksteel Ingots
63-65: Darksteel Sheets
65-69 : Hiens
69-70 : Dark Bronze Ingots

Cooking
50-55 : Egg Soup (400g, 2 npcs)
55-65 : Yagudo Drink(500g, 2 npcs)
65-70 : Sandorian Tea(~1k, 3 npcs sandy shop/guild/tea npc)
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-09-07 12:17:12
Link | Citer | R

So with all the sphere bots slitting each other's throats the cost of the shields has to be like half of what it used to be by now. I mean like t1 spheres are 3k as opposed to the 50k when the last time anyone looked at what'd cost to make one.

And with a focuser bot, must be pretty low effort these days.
By Pantafernando 2019-09-07 12:19:21
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahflaming said: »

Yeah you can buy he kits from the npcs, but those will only take you to 60. that way you save time gathering ingredients

I think there are kits up to 90+
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2019-09-07 12:20:51
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »

I think there are kits up to 90+
but not from the same 24 hr open npcs and available to everyone and practical to 90

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
You can get every craft to 70 on just NPC mats. Kits to 50, then:
you could use the 50 kits to hit 60 now if desired too.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-09-07 13:12:20
Link | Citer | R

you could use the 50 kits to hit 60 now if desired too.
Skillup rate drops after cap and the 50 kits are 7600g. You're paying more to skill up slower vs just using plain synths now that everything has a NPC option.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-09-07 13:34:47
Link | Citer | R

The only craft that doesn't "require" a shield is cooking. And that's because you can sell consumables easy, even NQs. Mind you, there's very little profit in it, but it sells fast and often.
By Shichishito 2019-09-07 22:33:37
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The only craft that doesn't "require" a shield is cooking. And that's because you can sell consumables easy, even NQs. Mind you, there's very little profit in it, but it sells fast and often.

everyone has a cooking mule and you only need 1-2 dedicated cooks to saturate the demand of a server. more cooks will just lead to undercutting to the point where just selling the ingredients is more profitable. its not worth anyones time.

outside of maybe asura the turn around rate is also too slow to make a decent profit.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-09-08 08:13:47
Link | Citer | R

Each time I found something that gave me a little profit from cooking (on Asura) more Cooks would start crafting the same thing eventually, leading to undercutting and basically making it not worth it anymore, given how annoying it is to farm the mats for those recipes.

From time to time multiple Cooks feel the same and drop, and at that point those recipes become mildly profitable again.
...until more cooks notice that, and then the same process repeats.
Over and over and over and over.
That's cooking for you.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2019-09-08 09:04:41
Link | Citer | R

Unless you want to make money and compete with the crafting mules then I would suggest cooking.

You don't make much money cooking. You make much more just farming. You could run around for 3-4 hours to cook up maybe 500k~1mil in profits (not revenue) that will no doubt flood the market and would take you days to sell.

The whole point of cooking is to cook the food you want at a lower costs in multiple stacks. This is pretty much the case for low population server. You need to actually go out and farm the ingredients in low population server but usually you only need 1~2 ingredients from farming and a stack of that would take about an hour with a thf job.
By gargurty 2019-09-08 12:39:19
Link | Citer | R

I'd say pick a craft you will use for yourself. Like in making gear or just to use overall as with cooking. And forget about the shield cos its a shitton of work to get that unless ye bot it.
 Asura.Xanders
user: L0ki79
By Asura.Xanders 2019-09-08 12:48:01
Link | Citer | R

I would say if you don't plan to make a shield your better off avoiding crafting all together. As others said you are better off farming at that point. You can look at each craft's materials and see what items are selling well, and see what it takes to farm and synth them. Some lv 80'ish items sell very well and can be farmed and synthed easily. Shield owners wont bother with that, so there is a good market. That said, farming gain exp, or mercing will yield more gil than a craft without shield. If your just doing it for something to do then cooking is a solid option, just not to make money.
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2019-09-08 18:35:06
Link | Citer | R

As per goldsmithing 45-61, geodes have a natural cap of 51, so they're cheap as hell to power through those levels.
By Chimerawizard 2019-09-08 18:53:31
Link | Citer | R

BG's Craft Guides are an excellent resource regardless of chosen craft.
edit: take a look at the cooking guide; zero kits used for skill-ups because kits would cost a lot more than those recipes.
[+]
 Asura.Slyshenx
user: Slyshen1
By Asura.Slyshenx 2019-09-13 16:27:30
Link | Citer | R

Regardless of whichever craft you decide to choose, don't let others dissuade you from creating an escutcheon shield. It took me forever to farm the spheres, and about 3-4 months at the focuser to finish the last stage. I ONLY used t1 spheres and maybe spent an hour or two at the focuser each day. I do not know how much I spent as I farmed almost all the spheres and only spent gil buying the catalysts.
I spent less than 200M on my escutcheon final stage. The first few stages MAYBE costed me 100M when I did them last year but the materials to advance the first few stages are nowhere near as expensive.
The first stages are the hardest and the last stage is the easiest IMO as it only takes patience and some gils.

If you want monies, go with smithing or goldsmithing, though they all tend to have their advantages. I know bone can make some decent coin as well. Good luck! :)
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-09-13 16:28:37
Link | Citer | R

How you gonna forget to mention that the entirety of that was botted? Just sayin

Without botting, "casually" it will take longer than anyone should ever even consider spending on it.
[+]
 Asura.Slyshenx
user: Slyshen1
By Asura.Slyshenx 2019-09-13 16:42:59
Link | Citer | R

t1 spheres are so cheap that you'd still never come close to spending 400M, let alone 500M like is being discussed if you bought them.
Maybe no one else has done the strict t1 route to see for themselves that it's true?
If you want it done ASAP, buy all tier spheres/catalysts and you'll be done within a month. If you want to save gil, take your time and only use t1 spheres.
It's really up to the person but just wanted to make sure people understand that it's not as expensive as they might think. If they like to craft, DO IT! That shield is easier to get then some may think and they shouldn't be turned off to crafting because they didn't have more information.
First Page 2