Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » POL crashes when monitor is turned back on
POL crashes when monitor is turned back on
By zixxer 2019-06-21 16:57:11
Link | Citer | R

Hi friends,

I upgraded my graphics card from a MSI Radeon 460 to a MSI GTX 1660 ti. When I afk I like to turn my monitor off. But now with the new card, whenever I turn the monitor back on it crashes the game. I’m sure it’s probably just a setting. If anyone can point me to a fix that would be great.

Thanks,
By zixxer 2019-06-21 17:03:41
Link | Citer | R

Another difference that has been adjusted was I went from using dvi to display port. I really want to stick with using display port if there is a fix for this.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Farroh 2019-06-21 17:31:34
Link | Citer | R

i had this problem with a new monitor. it is in fact the monitor doing this. you have to prevent the monitor from turning off and just allow it to go to sleep instead. mine would shut off completely during long idle instead of going to sleep. the settings for this was in my monitors menu.
By zixxer 2019-06-21 18:52:13
Link | Citer | R

Thank you for your replies. I’ll set up sleep mode instead.

@kireek when I turn off the monitor POL is fine. It’s when I turn it on is when it crashes. I tested it because sound was working off. And stopped as soon as I powered it back on.
 Lakshmi.Watusa
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2019-06-21 19:25:44
Link | Citer | R

I haven't tried it myself but I've been told from others that installing dgvoodoo is a fix for this.
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2019-06-21 19:50:43
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Watusa said: »
I haven't tried it myself but I've been told from others that installing dgvoodoo is a fix for this.
This.

Had this problem when I set up a new PC with my TV and dgvoodoo fixed the crashing.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-06-21 19:52:17
Link | Citer | R

dgvoodoo fixes this. It stops screen blinks from monitor signal loss/going full screen in other games from crashing ffxi
By Jetackuu 2019-06-21 23:00:20
Link | Citer | R

zixxer said: »
Another difference that has been adjusted was I went from using dvi to display port. I really want to stick with using display port if there is a fix for this.

Go back to DVI or use a workaround via software (dgvoodoo is such, as stated).

It's a feature.

kireek said: »
Turning your monitor on and off a lot isn't really a great idea anyway honestly, you're better off leaving it on full time and using a screensaver than turning it on and off a lot. The greatest strain happens when you power it on and that's the time monitors can fail after many years use.

Also are you sure it's the monitor being off that's causing it, are you crashing in your mog house? if so it's possible that your graphic card is just going into power saving mode and it's causing the problem. If you afk, try afk outside of the mog house.

You have no idea what you're talking about, just stop.

Farroh said: »
i had this problem with a new monitor. it is in fact the monitor doing this. you have to prevent the monitor from turning off and just allow it to go to sleep instead. mine would shut off completely during long idle instead of going to sleep. the settings for this was in my monitors menu.

It's actually the video card+ the monitor, it's a designed feature.
[+]
By Draylo 2019-06-21 23:06:35
Link | Citer | R

I had the issue until I used dgvoodoo and it fixed it. However, another new problem in that playing another game with FFXI instances open, causes FFXI to freeze oddly, where the game still runs and works but the screen is frozen.
By Jetackuu 2019-06-21 23:18:56
Link | Citer | R

Do you have dgvoodoo set globally or just for XI?
By Draylo 2019-06-21 23:36:01
Link | Citer | R

I have it in the playonline folder but I don't know if its global, what setting is that? I can run multiple instances of XI fine, but if I have another game on (like XIV) it will eventually randomly select a character and freeze them to where I can still input commands, and move the character, but the screen is totally frozen.
 Carbuncle.Arakon
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: arakon
By Carbuncle.Arakon 2019-06-22 02:20:28
Link | Citer | R

If you are using Display Port for your monitor connection, this is what happens.

When you turn off your display or it enters sleep mode, Windows will attempt to resize to a default resolution when it detects there is no active monitor. When you turn on the monitor again, it will readjust to the resolution of the current monitor detected. The screen re-sizing crashes POL if the default resolution is smaller than your Windower size.

The trick is to edit the settings to make Windows use the same default resolution as your current monitor resolution so that there is no resizing.

I came across the fix sometime ago but forgot the details. You can try google for "display port sleep mode resize" or something similar.

To tell if you have this problem, you can try connecting the monitor via DVI connector instead, that will not have the same problem. I can't remember if it will happen for HDMI connections.

edit: The other way to check is to place an icon on the lower right corner of your desktop, it should be move after you turn on the monitor again if your desktop resolution was resized.

A long thread on microsoft forum where the solutions are discussed
[+]
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-06-22 02:26:10
Link | Citer | R

Turning your monitor on and off a lot isn't really a great idea anyway honestly, you're better off leaving it on full time and using a screensaver than turning it on and off a lot. The greatest strain happens when you power it on and that's the time monitors can fail after many years use.

Also are you sure it's the monitor being off that's causing it, are you crashing in your mog house? if so it's possible that your graphic card is just going into power saving mode and it's causing the problem. If you afk, try afk outside of the mog house.

If this were 2001 I'd agree but hardware has gotten a lot more durable and better manufactured. Same goes for motherboards and power supplies power on and off cycles. It's not as difficult on the tech as it used to be.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Kaoriasada
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kaoriasada 2019-06-22 06:06:10
Link | Citer | R

There is an argument to be made if you save more money just buying a new monitor every 4-6 years or whatever as opposed to the excess power costs but that's another argument.

Not to mention that's a slightly higher premium for the sake of cost over time (years) vs. a cheaper price that needs to be paid up front, independent of things like credit cards and payment plans, obviously...
By DaneBlood 2019-06-22 12:04:54
Link | Citer | R

To answer your question instead of coming with an irrelevant point coming from bad statics based on anecdotal evidence, and then supporting it with none-compatible analogy

DP turns off the TMSC chips. to save power
if you work with multimillionaire you will see that you desktop size will update to a screen number lees and items will move over to the a screen turned on,
aka the monitor totally disappears for the system.

this disturbance like many other graphical disturbance makes pol crash. this is POL issue and have existed for over an decade.
before windows mode just alt-tabing would crash the game.

so in short, POL is weird when it comes with graphical changes and crashes a lot from it

solutions:
1: don't turn off the monitors (obviously)
2: move back to dvi or dsub15 plug ( advise is not to use d-sub15)
3: Install and run with dgvoodoo on ffxi as it seems to fix the graphical related crashes

other similar situation pol crashe in:
alt-tab if in full screen mode
win+l to lock screen
Change of resolution to desktop

P.S.
if regularly turning off you screen makes it break within a 5-6 years timeslot. You screen is utter crap designed or you are doing something else to break it.

The same was the cause of the nvndia ball point soldering breaking
it was not normal behavior but bad quality craftmanship.
if it was normal behavior we would see way higher RMA on current laptops that exhibits even more heat.

But trust me nothing ever came close to RAM rate of the HP c6000 and C2000 laptops with nvida gpu

Take it from someone who sit and did the RMA and ran the tecnhical department handling this kinds of ***
By zixxer 2019-06-22 18:58:36
Link | Citer | R

Regarding dgvoodoo, I’ve been trying to make it work because everyone is saying how awesome it is. I followed a few videos on it. However the framerate is really low and unplayable. My system has an:
AMD FX Quad core 3.8ghz
16 gb ram
Msi gtx 1660ti gpu

I followed the settings that the YouTube uploaded instructed.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I’ve tried both dgvoodo and dgvoodo2
By Jetackuu 2019-06-23 00:35:02
Link | Citer | R

anecdotal nonsense

Your personal experience aside, what you stated is an utter falsehood.

Also I would be money on that you did not reball any surface mounted chip.
 Asura.Chaostaru
By Asura.Chaostaru 2019-06-23 04:52:02
Link | Citer | R

Regarding dgvoodoo, I’ve been trying to make it work because everyone is saying how awesome it is. I followed a few videos on it. However the framerate is really low and unplayable. My system has an:
AMD FX Quad core 3.8ghz
16 gb ram
Msi gtx 1660ti gpu

I followed the settings that the YouTube uploaded instructed.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I’ve tried both dgvoodo and dgvoodo2
under the directX tab, on videocard, make sure to select "dgvoodoo virtual 3d accelerated card" not your actual gpu. and on windower make sure hardware mouse is off
By zixxer 2019-06-23 16:58:07
Link | Citer | R

I switched to HDMI and it completely solved my problem. Thank you all for helping.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-06-25 08:16:50
Link | Citer | R

Just out of curiosity, it this a windower exclusive problem or does vanilla windowed mode bork out too?
By Jetackuu 2019-06-25 10:50:19
Link | Citer | R

It's a vanilla "flaw" more like design, it's a problem left over from them forcing a crash when you lose fullscreen that they didn't remove when they made it windowable, and windower can't bypass it either. Any screen disconnect/add will cause a crash. So will UAC screen dimming, locking the windows session, screensaver, etc.

Dgvoodcanbasically virtualizes your gpu for the game, so it bypasses such things.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [450 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Arakon
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: arakon
By Carbuncle.Arakon 2020-09-17 09:03:17
Link | Citer | R

Necrobump with a new solution.

I just tried adding the DirectX 9 Proxy from reshade and it seems to fix the crash on display re-size issue. I was running a dual monitor setup and when I switch on/off the display, it trigger the display resize. With the DirectX proxy added, I don't see the crash anymore.

https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/User:Sitara/GraphicsEnhancement#ReShade_d3d8to9

Installation
  • download the latest release from the project's GitHub

• copy the d3d8.dll into your Game Directory

If you're using Vanilla FFXI without Ashita or Windower
  • C:\Program Files\FINAL FANTASY XI\ (32bit Windows)

• C:\Program Files (x86)\FINAL FANTASY XI\ (64bit Windows)

If you're using Ashita or Windower
  • C:\Program Files\PlayOnlineViewer\ (32bit Windows)

• C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnlineViewer\ (64bit Windows)

Note: Only need to install the DLL, Reshade is not required but is a nice improvement.