Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Choppy FFXI
Choppy FFXI
First Page 2
By BlaTheTaru 2018-07-12 17:21:23
Link | Citer | R

So earlier in the week my XI started being choppy or laggy. Every 2 seconds or so my game will lag out for a second or so. Basically stops and then the game continues. If you were to rotate the camera around your character every 25% or so it would lag out. It does it from the character selection screen forward. It doesn't lag on anything else that I have found. I've tried running the game on max GPU settings, moderate settings, and with the integrated graphics. I've checked different internet connections, and I've made it where XI only boots on 2 cores. I'm not sure what else to do, or even where to start.

Here are my system specs:
Intel i5-7300HQ CPU @2.50ghz
8 gigs of ram
gpu is a nvidia GTX 1050
not sure what else to list. not a tech person.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-07-12 17:29:09
Link | Citer | R

Did your drivers update? This happened to me on one month's drivers, but not the one before or after. Really *** weird.
[+]
By BlaTheTaru 2018-07-12 17:31:42
Link | Citer | R

I meant to mention it! I couldn't get my Nvidia control panel to open yesterday so I googled that. It said to open via task manager, and update it that way so I did. Now the control panel works fine, but the problem still remains. I reset my PC after it started initially, and windows updated so I figured that was causing the lag, but that didn't resolve or start the issue.
 Sylph.Truckie
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Truckie 2018-07-12 17:32:57
Link | Citer | R

Untick gamepad in your config settings, if its ticked.
[+]
By BlaTheTaru 2018-07-12 17:36:27
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Truckie said: »
Untick gamepad in your config settings, if its ticked.
I tried this, but it didn't resolve my issue. Thanks though bud. Still choppy.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2018-07-12 18:24:48
Link | Citer | R

BlaTheTaru said: »
I meant to mention it! I couldn't get my Nvidia control panel to open yesterday so I googled that. It said to open via task manager, and update it that way so I did. Now the control panel works fine, but the problem still remains. I reset my PC after it started initially, and windows updated so I figured that was causing the lag, but that didn't resolve or start the issue.
Uninstall all nvidia related software including drivers. Restart, and download the latest ones. Reinstall clean drivers and see what happens.

Edit: If the latest give you problems, try an older version. I have 397.64 running on a 1080, and its solid.
[+]
 Asura.Zart
Serveur: Asura
user: zart
By Asura.Zart 2018-07-12 18:52:50
Link | Citer | R

here is the offical source of what square enix reccomends your PC build to be for FFXI: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/envi/win/win01.html

the problem is older games were programmed to have 2 cores handling the process, so if you have 5 cores each core is giving you .5 ghz of speed your only getting 2 cores to relay that information so (1.0ghz) compared to my computers 3.2 ghz dual core FFXI is able to handle all of my processors power instead of only 40% of it. .

there is some ways around this, certain motherboards in their bios have a feature which allows multiple cores to process as one or, so I heard. I would email square enix directly, perhaps look up your motherboard..

with my graphic card (i have nvidia too) I basically turn all the settings off for FFXI, and it seems to work the best. and often times i turn off my second moniter which i use for watching Netflix when im about to go to bed when I play. Because otherwise FFXI likes to crash, and more oftenly when i dual box. Its a old game so it doesnt want additional assistance from your graphics card it seems.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Jetackuu 2018-07-12 20:51:52
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Zart said: »
here is the offical source of what square enix reccomends your PC build to be for FFXI: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/envi/win/win01.html

the problem is older games were programmed to have 2 cores handling the process, so if you have 5 cores each core is giving you .5 ghz of speed your only getting 2 cores to relay that information so (1.0ghz) compared to my computers 3.2 ghz dual core FFXI is able to handle all of my processors power instead of only 40% of it. .

there is some ways around this, certain motherboards in their bios have a feature which allows multiple cores to process as one or, so I heard. I would email square enix directly, perhaps look up your motherboard..

with my graphic card (i have nvidia too) I basically turn all the settings off for FFXI, and it seems to work the best. and often times i turn off my second moniter which i use for watching Netflix when im about to go to bed when I play. Because otherwise FFXI likes to crash, and more oftenly when i dual box. Its a old game so it doesnt want additional assistance from your graphics card it seems.

XI was only designed for and natively will only utilize a single core.

It shouldn't crash on dual boxing or monitoring.
By Jetackuu 2018-07-12 20:54:06
Link | Citer | R

Was it working fine before any updates? If so try reverting to before updates.
 Sylph.Atigevomega
By Sylph.Atigevomega 2018-07-12 22:28:42
Link | Citer | R

I just had this issue happen, the way i fixed it was revert to a previous GPU driver (Personally i went back 2 drivers probbaly only needed 1 but i wanted to be safe) works just fine now
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2018-07-12 22:35:15
Link | Citer | R

dgVoodoo .. Your CPU is running FFXI not your GPU... soon as you get dgVoodoo you are set and your graphics improve...
By BlaTheTaru 2018-07-12 22:41:35
Link | Citer | R

I listed above that I have pol running on only 2 cores now.
By BlaTheTaru 2018-07-12 23:02:34
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »

Was it working fine before any updates? If so try reverting to before updates.

No, it happened out of the blue. I had an update to Winows after it started though.
[+]
 Sylph.Atigevomega
By Sylph.Atigevomega 2018-07-13 07:47:28
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Syto said: »
dgVoodoo .. Your CPU is running FFXI not your GPU... soon as you get dgVoodoo you are set and your graphics improve...

This is not a catch all, this is generally only a problem when you have a laptop with an onboard gpu and an nvidia gpu I am sure there are other times but not nearly as frequent. Desktops that normally dont run the onboard cards (like an intel hd 4600 for example) have no option but to run it off the gpu. This sounds like a driver issue that is easily fixed by rolling back the driver or reinstalling.
 Shiva.Devastation
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Devastation 2018-07-13 08:30:47
Link | Citer | R

Go to your NVIDIA Control Panel - You can go there from the Tool Bar - Global or Program Settings - Look for "CUDA - GPU" select your GPU only./ If you are in Program Settings Make sure it's set on "All Play-On-line Games(pol.exe)"
By BlaTheTaru 2018-07-13 23:27:27
Link | Citer | R

Ok guys so I have tried doing as Devestation has suggested, but it didn't work.

I've rolled by my nvidia drivers and none of them fixed it.

I've tried fresh installs of everything related. Nothing changed.

I factory reset my laptop completely, and did a fresh everything! Problem persists. Any more suggestions?
 Asura.Zart
user: zart
By Asura.Zart 2018-07-14 00:20:31
Link | Citer | R

try setting your graphics card to these settings
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Devastation
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Devastation 2018-07-14 08:03:26
Link | Citer | R

Can you please post you "Final Fantasy XI Config" settings please? While you respond, or bring them up, make sure you are not on a setting you can't handle.

Uncheck MIP/ If checked
Boarderless Windowed Mode/ Not sure if you used this - May Freeze
tabbing in and out

Screen Size:
On my PC I have a 1080 - so this works for me
1920x1080 1920x1080
4096X4096

Textures: Uncompressed High Quality
Uncompressed

Effects:
Uncheck your "Enable bump mapping"
Environmental Animation : Normal

Laptop I use :
Unchecked MIP
Low - High Quality
Compresed

1920x1080 1920x1080
1920x1080

If you follow Asure.Zart

try setting your graphics card to these settings
This should be applied together. It should also noted that in-game setting 'Misc.' to have your shadows off or on Normal. >.> Please go to 'Misc. 2' and set your Background Aspect Ratio to 16:9 and not 'Potato', Thank you.
By BlaTheTaru 2018-07-14 11:10:08
Link | Citer | R

So I tried what you've suggested along with Zart, and it runs nicely but it's still choppy. I'll post a video.
YouTube Video Placeholder
By Staleyx 2018-07-14 11:14:18
Link | Citer | R

Man that is bad. I sometimes will get this after hours of 3boxing in certain zones but not even that choppy. What brand hard drive/ssd are you using and how old is it?

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Atigevomega
By Sylph.Atigevomega 2018-07-14 12:13:19
Link | Citer | R

Just to play devils advocate here, every pc is different and problems can be irritating but for arguments sake, when you did the roll back did you actually go to the nvidia site (https://www.geforce.com/drivers) find your driver from the drop downs and download? Once downloaded here is another important step often over looked... click custom install and in the screen there is a small box that says something about perform a clean install, did you do this? I know im repeating myself but i had this EXACT issue 2 weeks ago and it took me a good day messing around to finally fix it, I did all the stuff in nvidia control too, nothing worked. Even dgvoodoo didnt solve it which i used previously on my laptop. I even forced XI onto a single core bc i read that was an issue.... it wasnt...
user: BushinNmL
By Asura.Nightmarelord 2018-07-14 14:17:15
Link | Citer | R

I suggest DGvoodoo and oversampling.

My FFXI was so choppy that if I got too many mobs in a reg but empty zone, id end up dead due to how long it took to engage.

After about 30 mins of toying with things and actually setting dgvoodoo properly, I can now play without input / macro lag for the most part, and i can engage things as well as get macros to fire faster than when I previously played on the same setup.
By BlaTheTaru 2018-07-14 14:24:53
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Atigevomega said: »
Just to play devils advocate here, every pc is different and problems can be irritating but for arguments sake, when you did the roll back did you actually go to the nvidia site (https://www.geforce.com/drivers) find your driver from the drop downs and download? Once downloaded here is another important step often over looked... click custom install and in the screen there is a small box that says something about perform a clean install, did you do this? I know im repeating myself but i had this EXACT issue 2 weeks ago and it took me a good day messing around to finally fix it, I did all the stuff in nvidia control too, nothing worked. Even dgvoodoo didnt solve it which i used previously on my laptop. I even forced XI onto a single core bc i read that was an issue.... it wasnt...

I did it all except the custom install, and no I didn't check that box. Let me try it.

It started after I had been dualboxing hardcore for a few days, but it's still here.

It's not a ram issue. It was working fine with exactly what I have before. Did my ram suddenly stop being enough?
By BlaTheTaru 2018-07-14 14:25:55
Link | Citer | R

Staleyx said: »
Man that is bad. I sometimes will get this after hours of 3boxing in certain zones but not even that choppy. What brand hard drive/ssd are you using and how old is it?

I'm not sure let me dig everything out. I got the laptop in November of 2017 so it's not that old.
By Staleyx 2018-07-14 14:29:17
Link | Citer | R

Do you have any antivirus running when playing?
By BlaTheTaru 2018-07-14 14:39:56
Link | Citer | R

Just the one that is built into windows 10. I disabled it to see if it would fix it, but it still persisted. It is currently running now.
First Page 2