How Multi Can You Multi?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How Multi can you multi?
How Multi can you multi?
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-01-18 09:00:06
Link | Citer | R

I've got a pretty decent gaming laptop. I'm not sure how many instances I can run at once.

I'm curious what hardware people are using to gain higher level of multi-boxing.

Ultimately, with 1 'master' instance and all the rest on minimal settings, how many instances are the multi-boxers able to run?

is anyone doing a full party of 6 effectively?
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2018-01-18 09:11:21
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
I've got a pretty decent gaming laptop. I'm not sure how many instances I can run at once.

I'm curious what hardware people are using to gain higher level of multi-boxing.

Ultimately, with 1 'master' instance and all the rest on minimal settings, how many instances are the multi-boxers able to run?

I am able to do 4 effectively on mine. I have only done 6 a few times but it was more me than th computer, although when around a bunch if enemy mobs things sometimes lagged.

A friend is able to do 12 or more, but he’s not in a laptop.
By Darksparksnot 2018-01-18 09:24:48
Link | Citer | R

A bottom i5 can handle 6 easy.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Spynx
Serveur: Shiva
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2018-01-18 09:52:36
Link | Citer | R

It's heavily depending on you PC/laptop HW. You could see on the task manager how many resource (CPU/Memory/GPU) each instance uses and estimate how many you can run. Laptops tend to have pretty crappy graphic cards so that is most likely going to be your bottleneck but playing with the low settings you may be able to squeeze in some extra ones
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-01-18 09:56:51
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Spynx said: »
at is most likely going to be your bottleneck but playing with the low settings you may be able to squeeze in some extra ones

I have nVidia GTX 1070 w/ 8GB dedicated video memory
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-01-18 10:15:08
Link | Citer | R

Depends on settings. If I run 640x480, I can do 18 without even close to maxing my system.

This is with an i7-6800k and a GTX 1080Ti, both watercooled but not overclocked.

However, bump it up to 800x600 and there start to be fps drops before 18 chars.

At a resolution that looks nice to the eyes, your limits are reached much sooner.

It's not a question you can easily answer, and even if I gave you an exact answer in terms of clock speed, you wouldn't be able to interpret it. Make sure you have a powerful, multi-threaded processor if multiboxing is a priority.

Finally, 'gaming' laptops are not for gaming, they're for parting idiots and their money. If you want a good performance/price ratio, look at a desktop.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-01-18 10:53:47
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Depends on settings. If I run 640x480, I can do 18 without even close to maxing my system.

This is with an i7-6800k and a GTX 1080Ti, both watercooled but not overclocked.

However, bump it up to 800x600 and there start to be fps drops before 18 chars.

At a resolution that looks nice to the eyes, your limits are reached much sooner.

It's not a question you can easily answer, and even if I gave you an exact answer in terms of clock speed, you wouldn't be able to interpret it. Make sure you have a powerful, multi-threaded processor if multiboxing is a priority.

Finally, 'gaming' laptops are not for gaming, they're for parting idiots and their money. If you want a good performance/price ratio, look at a desktop.

Thank you for the input. I know it varies a lot, that's exactly why I posted asking for people's experience who have done it. Experience is a fantastic resource.

I Imagine running most things from a single instance and meticulous use of the send addon in windower. Therefore cranking down the graphics on all other instances.

I could do w/out the insult calling me an idiot for having a gaming laptop.

I know exactly how much better a desktop is for gaming. I also know that its a work laptop that I didn't pay for and needed to be a laptop for work use. So there are certainly good reasons to get a gaming laptop. Its an i7-7700 w/ 16 GB ram and the nvidia I mentioned before. It has ample power for multi-boxing. I just needed a reference for how many instances people have managed.

I'm not looking to buy a new system. I'm assessing what I might be able to do with the system I have.
 Lakshmi.Elidyr
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: elii
By Lakshmi.Elidyr 2018-01-18 10:59:53
Link | Citer | R

6 max settings (minus weather and shadows)
Asus m5a99fx pro r2.0
1090t black
2x R7 370 Cards
8g ram (Corsair Vengeance)

6 Runs fine- but I have an issue with my mobo and drivers or something, or the 2 cards block to much air / cause over heating if fans are not running good. Pretty sure driver issues though as I have always had issues with this Asus board since day one. Minus random issue zero issues running 6. They run 24/7 for most part no issues. Occasionally Ill get spikes and fans will kick pretty high, but usually no issues.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Berzerk
Serveur: Shiva
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2018-01-18 11:59:50
Link | Citer | R

DirectX said: »
I used to run 3x 800x600 without difficulty on an ancient Lenovo X201 with a dual core i7 640LM, 8GB RAM and the old integrated GPU. Wasn't ideal 3boxing on a 12 inch screen but was necessary at the time!

I used to do the same. Lately I've been doing my main char 1600x900 and the rest 1024x768 after upscaling my monitor resolution to 1440p. Able to see all 3 at once clearly with room for Discord and whatnot on the same monitor.

With 3 it can get pretty laggy depending on what I'm trying to do. I'm using dgvoodoo and reshade which might be causing some of the lag also. Using a 1060 6gb and an older i7, 16GB ram.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-01-18 13:07:34
Link | Citer | R

If you don't mind me asking, what gaming laptop do you have and how much did it run you? I'm looking to grab one up in the future, since I spend more time on the laptop than my basement pc.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2018-01-18 13:43:20
Link | Citer | R

Finally, 'gaming' laptops are not for gaming, they're for parting idiots and their money.

I guess I'm an idiot for having to rely on a laptop for portability reasons alone. Better quit my job or stop gaming altogether then.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-01-19 05:37:02
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
If you don't mind me asking, what gaming laptop do you have and how much did it run you? I'm looking to grab one up in the future, since I spend more time on the laptop than my basement pc.

I run a gigabyte p57
Ran about 1800, but not out of my pocket.
 Ragnarok.Tdizzle
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Tdizzle
By Ragnarok.Tdizzle 2018-01-19 08:55:24
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Spynx said: »
It's heavily depending on you PC/laptop HW. You could see on the task manager how many resource (CPU/Memory/GPU) each instance uses and estimate how many you can run. Laptops tend to have pretty crappy graphic cards so that is most likely going to be your bottleneck but playing with the low settings you may be able to squeeze in some extra ones

I sometimes have issues when running a lot after awhile, never right away. I'll get lag and low fps.

Weird thing is my cpu/gpu never even reach 50% capacity. Usually <40% with 6 running and other things. I can close stuff and it'll keep the low fps once it starts getting low.

Any idea? Havent run into it in the last week, but the two weeks prior I'd see if rather often. Oddly, it was usually after an hour or so of running 4-6. Like I said, the resources were no where near capacity yet my fps went from 50s to 10 or a little less and stayed there no matter what I did. Even logging off all chars but 1, i'd see a max in the 20s standing in jeuno.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-01-19 09:10:47
Link | Citer | R

Yikes. I'll stick to this Toshiba Lagbyte 1750.
 Quetzalcoatl.Arthur
By Quetzalcoatl.Arthur 2018-01-19 12:26:03
Link | Citer | R

Yeah gaming laptop are great for travel and playing less resource heavy games. Triggers me when people insult people who may have one. Especially these days when you can actually find decent ones(but at high cost)
 Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas
user: Shinzaku
By Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas 2018-01-19 14:22:22
Link | Citer | R

Depends on settings. If I run 640x480, I can do 18 without even close to maxing my system....

How do you reliably control 18 characters at once? O_O
 Asura.Inuyushi
Serveur: Asura
user: Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2018-01-19 14:37:00
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Mithlas said: »
Depends on settings. If I run 640x480, I can do 18 without even close to maxing my system....

How do you reliably control 18 characters at once? O_O

With lots of scripts and preset conditions. Which is a nice way of saying botting while being present.

Post deleted by User.
By clearlyamule 2018-01-19 14:54:26
Link | Citer | R

Yeah but who goes out to eat a full meal for lunch everyday?

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-19 15:15:15
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Arthur said: »
Yeah gaming laptop are great for travel and playing less resource heavy games. Triggers me when people insult people who may have one. Especially these days when you can actually find decent ones(but at high cost)

Portability is the real reason to use them, unfortunately there are such laptops that are large and not very portable and tend to be the more expensive ones. Sager makes some fairly portable notebooks with solid components and they aren't filled with bloatware.
By billnes 2018-01-20 11:45:32
Link | Citer | R

Dell Optiplex 990
2nd Gen i5-2400 @ 3.10Ghz - Sandy Bridge 32nm
8Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz
ATI Raedod HD 6350 - 512Mb VRAM

Single monitor - 1920X1080
Two (2) 4:3 Aspect Ratio Windows. Each window set at 960X720 resolution.
One window in the upper right hand corner and one in the lower left hand corner.

Both windows run at 29.4FPS

Hope this helps,
Bill N.
 Asura.Taberif
user: Taberif
By Asura.Taberif 2018-01-20 15:05:22
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
e and all the rest on minimal settings, how many instances are the multi-boxers able to run?

ive done 13box back in the day with minimal settings and 1 of them with full graphics on old quadcore and onboard graphics. just depends on what you consider minimal settings.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-01-22 16:06:18
Link | Citer | R

i don't run 18, i have 8 characters i consider mains and 4 decent ones that are deactivated more than activated, 12 total

i just popped open DSP to test how many i could run when i built this pc, in case i ever wanted to go full alliance

if you already have the machine, that's the route i'd recommend, just ask a dsp server admin to allow you to log X accounts in for a bit to check, or run your own dsp server

i misread and thought you were looking to buy originally, derp