Advice On A New Laptop

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Advice on a new laptop
Advice on a new laptop
By Chimerawizard 2017-08-03 04:54:48
Link | Citer | R

My current laptop has gotten a blue screen of death just recently.
It's old.

Last two laptops I bought I thought would play XI just fine but fps easily goes down to 10 so I quit even trying a while back.
I am terrible at picking them out.

Any advice on ones good for XI/XIV?
preferably ones with a full size keyboard & 4k monitor.
 Odin.Foxmulder
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2017-08-03 05:03:21
Link | Citer | R

I would advise against a laptop for this game, as many of them seem to run the game terribly out of the box. Also, they're not optimal for gaming or production in general... Might as well get a tablet and be more eco-friendly.
 Lakshmi.Miang
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Miang
By Lakshmi.Miang 2017-08-03 05:08:57
Link | Citer | R

Anything with a 1060 or 1070 will run XI just fine as they don't use Optimus, which was the cause of so many peoples problems. That said, even laptops with 9xx range nvidia GPUs now work great with FFXI, if you use dgvoodoo. There's a thread on here about the new dgvoodoo version, which allows Optimus laptops to detect that the game is running and needs to use the dGPU instead of the iGPU.
[+]
 Cerberus.Bongsolo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Stalk
By Cerberus.Bongsolo 2017-08-03 05:18:33
Link | Citer | R

Anything to new will crash with display drivers, anything way to old could see fps drop. Depending on budget you could just grab a ~100$ laptop just for xi then buy w/e you want for other stuff.

A Pentium4 and a Nvida 9400GT. Is all you really need to run this game at 30-60fps, outside of 500ppl in dragons aery.

The best/most stable setup I had for this game was a amd 965be and a hd7770.

Now I just swap in a HD 7990 for xi only, since my better card can't run without crashing every ~3hr's.
 Lakshmi.Miang
user: Miang
By Lakshmi.Miang 2017-08-03 05:58:40
Link | Citer | R

The Nvidia 1070/1060 range is fine, I've 6 boxed on my laptop with a 1070 for up to 12 hours at a time with no crashes. I also played on my old laptop with a 960m with no crashes, but I did have FPS problems. This was before dgvoodoo was fixed though, and I've heard from LS mates that dgvoodoo works great on their 960m laptops.

That said, AMD might have driver issues as their RX 480 range has huge issues with multi box FFXI. I tried for months to get my RX 480 to work in my desktop, but no matter what I changed the TDP timeout values too, it would still crash due to power management problems in the drivers after a short time. Single box would be fine but multi box wasn't. I assume the same applies to AMD graphics cards in laptops
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2017-08-03 07:16:13
Link | Citer | R

Not sure if this is the best place to shop or not, is there a brand to just outright avoid or a brand known for using quality parts thus worth spending the extra money on?

any suggestions between these Acer, EVGA, Gigabyte, & MSI or a better place to shop?
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-03 07:55:18
Link | Citer | R

Chimerawizard said: »
Not sure if this is the best place to shop or not, is there a brand to just outright avoid or a brand known for using quality parts thus worth spending the extra money on?

any suggestions between these Acer, EVGA, Gigabyte, & MSI or a better place to shop?

Stay away from them, most are going to have ***base models and price gouge you for "upgrading" to something with a sane design.

After learning my lesson in the past I've since stuck with Sagers. Currently the NP8952 or NP8950 are both amazing notebooks. What is your price range as that determines a lot?

https://www.sagernotebook.com/15-Inch-Gaming-Laptops/

They are all using the same baseboards like Clevo, the difference is the parts they chose to have as standard and how much they overcharge to put better stuff in. They'll do this like put a "HUGE Hard Disk" that's running 5400RPM and then charge you $300 to put a SSD inside. Or stick you with a non-uniform memory design (4+8 GB of slow memory) and then charge you more to make it sane (8+8 of faster memory).
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2017-08-03 09:39:18
Link | Citer | R

Would you suggest 8950/8952 if I plan to leave a FFXI character on overnight on a frequent basis or would 8156/8157 be a better fit for me?
is their screen calibration worth getting?
 Bahamut.Baozzer
Serveur: Bahamut
user: baozzer
By Bahamut.Baozzer 2017-08-03 12:11:01
Link | Citer | R

I game on a Mac cause i'm that guy
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-08-03 13:05:55
Link | Citer | R

I run a Toshiba Satellite with an Intel Core i5 processor, 2.50 GHz and 8 GM RAM and it runs FFXI like a dream. The only real issue I have with it is overheating, which is a typical Satellite thing so I have a USB fan hooked up under it. I only start to overheat when I'm dualboxing in a pretty laggy area, but for the most part it's fine.
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-03 15:38:24
Link | Citer | R

Would you suggest 8950/8952 if I plan to leave a FFXI character on overnight on a frequent basis or would 8156/8157 be a better fit for me?
is their screen calibration worth getting?

The 8156/57 are just fine, the difference is that the 8950/52 are thinner notebooks and thus more suited for moving around. I normally don't bother with boutique "extras" like calibration, special thermal paste, decals and other customizations, just pick out the components I want and have it sent to me. There wont' be any *** bloatware either, like Nortons nagging you to buy it "or else" after 30 days or some ***.

They are all rebranded Clevo's that are left unlocked so you can install custom BIOS's for performance tuning and no OEM whitelist preventing you from installing aftermarket parts.

http://www.clevo.com.tw/
By Chimerawizard 2017-08-04 08:51:26
Link | Citer | R

tl;dr
Picked the OMEN by HP.
By Gunshin 2017-08-04 08:59:43
Link | Citer | R

I would probably go with the omen, good price for a 4k laptop with that kind of ram and video card
By Gunshin 2017-08-04 09:02:26
Link | Citer | R

Only down side is the SSD size, but you can get good external ones now days too.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [126 days between previous and next post]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-12-08 15:55:19
Link | Citer | R

tl;dr
Picked the OMEN by HP.

Bumping this. Tired of my damn laptop crashing every few minutes.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i7-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-1tb-hdd-128gb-solid-state-drive-hp-sandblasted-hairline-brushing-and-carbon-fiber/6123334.p?skuId=6123334

Should I get for FFXI? or is there something equally as capable on best settings for lower?
By emerle 2017-12-08 19:14:14
Link | Citer | R

I got an Acer with almost exact same specs for $600.. Runs FFXI flawlessly
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-12-08 21:27:34
Link | Citer | R

Can you provide link? I'm horribly bad with computer specs, no idea what half of this stuff means besides video card + ram. Really looking for a game JUST for FFXI with some amazing graphics, something portable, small, lightweight and foldable (preferably). Constantly on the go.
 Fenrir.Soothsayer
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Darcc
By Fenrir.Soothsayer 2017-12-21 10:21:00
Link | Citer | R

Sorry to bump this...

Looking to upgrade from my current laptop which seems to be on it's home stretch as far as life goes.

Anything recommended for around $5-600? I'd also like to know what Acer laptop emerle was referring to.

Only MMO I play is FFXI and I do need a new laptop anyways so looking for utility and ability to play FFXI at optimal levels
By grumpette 2017-12-21 13:39:45
Link | Citer | R

Aside from a reliable brand laptop, the cheapest electronics deals I have found come from Amazon Warehouse. As far as computers go, Amazon frequently tests shipments and new products from their suppliers for quality control. They then sell their open box warehouse test products about 25%-50% cheaper to make space for more products. So if you are looking for a bargain on a decent-to-high end laptop check here: Amazon Warehouse Laptops

I bought a core I7 gaming rig 6 months ago that looked brand new for about 50% off retail. I hope you are as lucky as me and find something awesome there.