Role Of The PUP?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Role of the PUP?
Role of the PUP?
By Lyssir 2017-05-13 06:55:48
Link | Citer | R

Hi Guys!

Just trying to figure out the different roles PUP fills in game these days. Notices the population has plummeted even more since i last played the game properly.

What is PUP able to actually do in game? Solo or in groups?

Thanks in advance?
 Asura.Midgitis
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Midgitis 2017-05-13 10:26:58
Link | Citer | R

Pup is a pretty good tank on a lot of things. Things that charm or you kill with mages etc.. I use pup in Omen quite a bit to tank Kei and other bosses.

It can be a mediocre dd job if you gear the pet as well as the master but it is nothing spectacular. It is a pretty decent solo job since the automaton can tank so well with regen.

It is never really used to nuke or to heal these days, though it can it is still subpar to everything else out there.

Its a jack of all trades, master of none job. Can do everything if you put in the effort but will never do anything as well as a different job with 1/4th the effort. Besides tanking, it does that well if the fight supports it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2017-05-13 16:49:20
Link | Citer | R

Midgitis are you sure you play pup?

Pup is a Fantastic tank for alot of content. not everything, but pretty close, and its is the best tank for some things.

Have you ever Seen a full DD build automaton? Overdrive or not?
even if master doesn't engage, its not hard to pop 20~30k skillchains. Thats a good dd, but its auto only. master won't add as much, but when drop 2 step skillchains ini the time other dd's do single weaponskills, and the automaton gets huge bonuses to skillchain damage... you deal really good damage.

Healing and nuking are not done so much lately. I'll agree on that much. I've taken a pup to a Magic burst CP party. Its not as good as a blm, and I could use some more practice and actually use some pet mab gear cuz I was only using Tali'ah set, but I could still drop some good magic bursts.
Healing, is usually done better by a trust than an Automaton, but I think thats because no one practices it just like there are relatively few ppl playing whm seriously.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cariboulou
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cariboulou 2017-05-13 18:30:43
Link | Citer | R

Pups are awesome. Wide variety of gear now. Solo, group there great. I Five Box them and can preety much kill any mob. If your looking for some easy DD gear hit up Escha Res and see if you can get a Herc set. Either a store tp aug set or dbl attack set work great depending on situation. For tank you can get a nice set of ABJ gear from escha RuAun. Or if its Acc You need the Ambuscade has a great set to that can work. Ohtas HH is great weapon especialy after you aug it. If you want a pdt weapon midnights are great. Also once you break the 1200 job points your elemental attachments increase alot and you will be a power house. Happy Pupping!
 Asura.Cicion
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2017-05-13 18:57:37
Link | Citer | R

Ya auto is a amazing tank on some niche things. if it doesnt doom or have adds its golden.
Sadly auto DD does not play well with other melee DDs. If they spamming WSs autos will hold onto tp forever. I used to rate overdrive Auto DD about on par as astral flow/conduit if the fight went on for 3:30+ but since some very tasty omen gear was released pushed us farther below them. I do 7-15k (mabey abit higher if i swap attachs for less surviveability) every what 2 secs with overdrive still kinda eh. On content that matters i find SC damage on bosses with speed-loaders pitiful (i do bear in mind the skillchain was likely not a element the boss was weakest to). Did Fu with overdrive auto was spamming 30-67k tp moves after nullification and SC damage was horrid so that turned me away from it. Mind you im not a mythic pup but when i have 100% double attack Rate already 20% triple att is a tossup i'm happy with my Ohtas.

Auto nukings meh/semi ok in my opinion we really need like 4-6 more ice ele capacity. Yes they can burst once a sc for really good damage but Schs geos blms rdms can double burst for more total and still do other things. Hey least it has inf mp right? Of course if your opening or closing SCs and your autos bursting on apex right on. Try for light as its easier to time thunder nukes auto likes to open with thunder5 on most things.
Auto healing is eh as well. Overcures way to much eats thru mp and slow with timers. I recall on apex crabs but i could be exaggerating auto would be eraseing Str downs off me or itself when we needed a cure perhaps. Still a decent main/backup if timer can keep up and haste2 and phalanx is nice if not getting it and making SCs for people.

Pup DD of course suffers from the same thing as monk hand to hand is terrible.
By Turion 2017-05-13 22:07:07
Link | Citer | R

you guys have only half the story of what pups can do. you can control your autos WS by proper attachments and maneuvers. we run 6 man omens (5 pups, 1 cor) and 90% of escha areas. Also i have done main healer for CP parties and magic bursting on pup.
By eliroo 2017-05-13 23:23:54
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
Have you ever Seen a full DD build automaton? Overdrive or not?
even if master doesn't engage, its not hard to pop 20~30k skillchains. Thats a good dd, but its auto only. master won't add as much, but when drop 2 step skillchains ini the time other dd's do single weaponskills, and the automaton gets huge bonuses to skillchain damage... you deal really good damage.

What attachment set are you using to get this result?
By Turion 2017-05-14 00:53:45
Link | Citer | R

i use turbo charger 1&2, Attuner,Tension spring 2&4, Coiler 2, Target marker, Mana jammer 4, Armor plate 4, optic fiber 1&2, Auto-repair kit 4. this is my hybrid setup and with a cor in the party skillchains around 10~15k if your with another pup it goes up ex-potentiality
 Fenrir.Dibble
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Dibble
By Fenrir.Dibble 2017-05-14 01:35:46
Link | Citer | R

Lyssir said: »
Hi Guys!

Just trying to figure out the different roles PUP fills in game these days. Notices the population has plummeted even more since i last played the game properly.

Thanks in advance?
I recently came back after 5 years and Trusts killed solo PUP for me :(
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2017-05-14 03:40:06
Link | Citer | R

Lyssir said: »
Hi Guys!

Thanks in advance?

SOLO: toy
GROUPs: substitute
 Asura.Psylo
user: psylo
By Asura.Psylo 2017-05-22 02:33:39
Link | Citer | R

After month of pup in omen, the role you can do :
- Tank for sure but sometimes its suck like the doom guys, so its more than a backup tank like if the PLD/RUN dies.
- DD for sure, but avoid totally the pain mini boss (thinker) because the pup will ws during the move so ...

For example we do GIN/FU yesterday, both as DD pup and i get serious number on FU like a nice 48K ws + a 70K SC dommage ^^

but for now, pup as main healing is pretty hard i find.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-05-22 03:03:54
Link | Citer | R

No pun intended, I love PUP since the release, but mainhealing is really hard, even in simple situations like CP pt.

I'm a better healer on BRD/WHM than I am on PUP, sad but true =/
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-05-22 07:50:27
Link | Citer | R

The best Team Mascot in FFXI.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [39 days between previous and next post]
By Teuphist 2017-06-30 18:27:54
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
No pun intended, I love PUP since the release, but mainhealing is really hard, even in simple situations like CP pt.

I'm a better healer on BRD/WHM than I am on PUP, sad but true =/

You might find yourself best as a secondary healer when in an alliance tank party for some end game content. /SCH and hang with the WHM(s). Don't use Damage Gauge as main healer will focus on HP, full whm or harlequin...yes harlequin using resisters can melee and focus on status removals. And let's not forget Benediction. As you can see, you'd really just be additional help in case the WHMs get hung up casting something else and the occasional Cure V/VI when HP is low (dependent on light maneuvers up).
By Risotto 2017-07-05 06:57:21
Link | Citer | R

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Despite what many people say PUP can do some nice physical/magic DD with enough work.

In my opinion PUP is:

- Good DD (with a lot of work)

- Decent Tank, especially in fights with Doom or other tricky mechanics

- Okay at healing/buffing, but mostly in a support/solo/filling in a gap sort of way

- Terrible at AoE of all kinds

- Generally flexible and fun, but don't expect to stack up to meta strong jobs unless you're willing to put in a lot of work and research
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2017-07-17 11:40:33
Link | Citer | R

Risotto said: »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Despite what many people say PUP can do some nice physical/magic DD with enough work.

In my opinion PUP is:

- Good DD (with a lot of work)

- Decent Tank, especially in fights with Doom or other tricky mechanics

- Okay at healing/buffing, but mostly in a support/solo/filling in a gap sort of way

- Terrible at AoE of all kinds

- Generally flexible and fun, but don't expect to stack up to meta strong jobs unless you're willing to put in a lot of work and research

Nice screenshot. Can you share the setup?

are you mainly packing herc gear w/ pet mab bonuses and then the Macc accessories? just curious how you got hte maxed out burst. I've not invested in a pet mab set for pup. I think I've only bursted around 30k before. but I was only trying it on the spur, and didnt' stick with it. (I also didn't have many jp at the time).