New Caster/SCH - How To Prioritize Gearing?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » New Caster/SCH - How to prioritize gearing?
New Caster/SCH - How to prioritize gearing?
By Sidra 2016-10-10 13:24:49
Link | Citer | R

Hey all - returning player on a new account after a 9 year hiatus - playing about a month so far. DRG is my first love, so I got that up and it's looking pretty good. But I need something for all of the content where mele is a boon. SCH wasn't even around at 75 cap when I last played (ToAU) but it's looking pretty interesting to me. Being able to heal as needed, make skillchains, and nuke looks kind of awesome. My 99 leveling into set is going to be the unaugmented Alluvion Skirmish Helios set and a Keraunos - not because it's ideal just because it's what I already got my hands on. So I have a few questions?

1.) OK..MaB..Accuracy...idle set...enhancing set. I know I have a ton of gear to collect to truly optimize. But where do I start? What gives the most bang for the buck early or are considered don't walk out of your Mog House without it core necessities. Also I can augment the Helios stuff I have...but didn't want to invest anything in it til I determine what's gonna get easily replaced and what is gonna stick around. I can get anything from most Unity NMs, Zitah and Ruann T1 and T2 - so those are good places. Keep in mind all my accessories are empty atm, save for a Izdubar Mantle.

2.) Between extra M.ACC from weather effects and Focalization - does that generally mean MaB is priortitized over M.Acc?

3.) What's a good merit build? Assuming JP are not gonna be capped for a while if ever. I will probably get to to 100, and then it'll sit there til DRG is done.

4.) Easiest sources of some refresh for idle?

Thanks in advance for the help, everyone!
 Shiva.Spynx
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2016-10-10 15:08:26
Link | Citer | R

First of all, welcome back! Having only a melee job is difficult as most content is done with mage setup (or really high accuracy DD - read BLUs and BST pets) so I think leveling SCH is a good idea and gives you a lot more flexibility

Here's my suggestions based on your questions:

1) Helios/Keraunos are very entry level but will be fine till you get better gear. Too bad you just missed the sch ambuscade gear that would have been an amazing start (maybe you can still get it next month). My advice is to put together a decent group of 3-4 friends with balanced jobs (e.g. PLD WHM/RDM SCH BLM)and start with Escha Ru'Aun for Amalric gear (4/5 are off T1-T2) and, as you get better, move to Reisenjima for merlinic gear. The T1 NMs there are not too bad and give you some of the best pieces in the game both for dmg and macc. In term of set priority, you still want to have a basic one for each type but to optimize in the following order:
- Idle - as much refresh/DT as possible - get at least a +2 ref body and couple other easy items (e.g. homiliary from adoulin quest and Assiduity Pants from UNM)
- Fast cast - this can be tough to improve but it sucks when sch can't self-sc dark just because they have 0 FC gear
- Nuke/enfeebling set with priority on macc over mab. Once you get a good amount of magic accuracy, aim for magic burst bonus, then stack mab + int
- Healing - you may end up being the main healer so having a decent set will really help. Aim for 50/50 cure potency/cast speed and a decent regen set
- Enhancing - this is much more important for solo as it affects phalanx/barspell/embrava potency but still nice to have

2) As I said above. Magic accuracy is your top priority as there is no point in strong nukes if they are resisted 90% of the times. You accuracy will be bad without proper gear/gifts so try to maximize it (amalric/merlinic/ambuscade gear is really good at this)

3) As a SCH for CP you will be mainy used as a buffer (storms) and nuker so you need a good nuking set. Helios/Keraunos may not be enough and augmenting them could cost a lot so I'd focus on getting some amarlic before starting any CP party. I also strongly suggest to get to 550 JPs as that will reduce your stratagems recast by 15 secs - 33 secs - that is simply huge for endgame (mandatory for most serious ls). This shouldn't be too hard with a CP event and one is most likely happening soon

4) See reply 1). The easiest one will be a +2 body (can probably get one even just for bayld), homiliary from adoulin quest and UNM pants (+1 for 2mp/tick)

Good luck SCHing!
 Asura.Toralin
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-10-10 15:56:36
Link | Citer | R

Enhancing Duration augments on Telchine and Arbatel Gloves+1 will make your life much more enjoyable in CP parties.
By Sidra 2016-10-10 20:19:04
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the help everyone. Any thoughts on some accessories?