users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Common RDM CP party setups
Common RDM CP party setups
 Asura.Hitome
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Hitome 2016-09-06 07:42:23
Link | Citer | R

Hi there. I was just wondering what common setups you guys use for CPing in parties. So far, I mostly am relegated to healing in Moh and/or Dho gates. Can RDMs take the slot of a SCH in DDx2 BLM BLM Dho gate parties with frazzle 3? Or perhaps even a GEO's spot?

I basically would like to figure out which DDs pair nicely together to either form a melee burn for eruca in Moh gates or how to fit a RDM into a Dho gates standard party: standard setups where a RDM could take the place of a traditional slot.

I'd also be interested in hearing stories about meleeing on RDM in CP parties. I've done it once in Moh gates and it went pretty smooth as a puller/DD/tank but convincing parties that my RDM is up to snuff is a bit difficult. In general, how much ACC before food and buffs do you recommend for Dho and Moh gate apex mobs?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-09-06 08:00:20
Link | Citer | R

I used a red mage here and it's just duo on bats. Easily made better with real support.

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-09-06 08:05:24
Link | Citer | R

Do you have a solid nuking/MB set? Take the place of a BLM.

Do you have a solid healing set? Take the place of a healer.

Do you have a solid melee set? Be a part of the skillchain.

Play to your strengths, RDM is a fluid and capable job and the requirements for Apex are not extreme enough to keep RDM from catering to whatever role it needs to fill (with proper gear).
[+]
By eliroo 2016-09-06 08:11:45
Link | Citer | R

I CPed as a Melee RDM. The only problem is getting enough accuracy but with Distract III and lowering the accuracy needed to hit apex mobs, things should be easier.

I was in both multi-step SC parties and MB parties. RDM is very fluid and can fit into pretty much any role. Inundation alone will make them valuable for any group.

I did Apex trio bats with 1180 accuracy w/ food.
 Odin.Blizzy
Serveur: Odin
user: Blizzit
By Odin.Blizzy 2016-09-06 08:13:56
Link | Citer | R

The current best party set up against apex is no longer a mage setup. Dho Gates Apex bat camp is amazing with a DD burn set up. Dbl to what a mage party can bring in. But there is a little pre work you have to do to make this party work.

Geo: Fraility Fury Dia spam and entrust refresh when needed.

Cor: you want a DD cor not just a roll cor or can use just a roll cor. choas roll, light shot after dia. 2nd roll adjusts to party needs alliance roll, sam roll, hunters, are decent options or cor roll.

Whm or rdm to debuff and cure the party. MB not needed.

DD must have required acc builds to operate standard 1260 acc and have to pre plan a skill chain multi step path.

example NIN open Blade HI, Run close Reso > frag Cor close last stand > Light.

You can also fit a brd in this set up if your cor is a dd cor. or can add in another DD into the skill chain step. To my knowledge this is the highest cp/hr rate. During dbl cp event a DD setup can do up to 500 jp a hr.

If you want to do a Mage mb set up
a job that can solo darkness or light skill chain. depending on what mob you are trying to kill to exploit weakness.
Geo is a tough job to give up in a cp party due to maliase and haste for recast.
Cor is another one depending on the need of hits to maintain skill chains.
so that gives you room for your tank/puller and your mages to mb.
RDM can nuke just fine once past 100 job points. The Magic burst sets are pretty standard for all nukeing jobs.

Out of all my jobs I have cped so far for skill chains RNG has by far been the most Fun and destructive.
 Shiva.Arislan
Serveur: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2016-09-06 08:24:43
Link | Citer | R

The best CP/hour party I was ever in had a RDM tanking, pulling and doing CDC/Death Blossom in a 3-step skillchain with SAM and COR.
 Ragnarok.Rydal
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2016-09-06 08:46:49
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Ladyofhonor said: »
Play to your strengths, RDM is a fluid and capable job and the requirements for Apex are not extreme enough to keep RDM from catering to whatever role it needs to fill (with proper gear).

This. RDM can get into a party much easier than other jobs because we can fill many empty roles at once and replace a member if they leave (go from support to magic burster if a mage leaves). As long as your sets are decent, you won't be pigeon-holed into one role.
 Asura.Hitome
By Asura.Hitome 2016-09-06 10:36:17
Link | Citer | R

Thanks all! A lot of food for thought. Just did a successful RDM/SCH CP party on crabs but definitely want to give bats a try now.

I have concerns about taking the role of a nuker. My RDM nuking gear is about the same as BLM and SCH (Almaric) but the big difference is the weapon each uses. Lathi and Akademos for SCH but I'm only using Marin Staff +1 on RDM. I see there is an upgrade in Reisenjima off a T2. I'm taking it this should be a big priority if you want to nuke?

I follow the discussions in the RDM sticky quite often since you guys have a bunch of useful advice along with gearsets I borrow from. What average numbers would you say your MBs hit? While nuking in the crab party in light arts, I was hitting around 35k in MB gear. I'll have to see how to improve this.

Thanks again.
By eliroo 2016-09-06 10:56:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Hitome said: »
I have concerns about taking the role of a nuker. My RDM nuking gear is about the same as BLM and SCH (Almaric) but the big difference is the weapon each uses. Lathi and Akademos for SCH but I'm only using Marin Staff +1 on RDM. I see there is an upgrade in Reisenjima off a T2. I'm taking it this should be a big priority if you want to nuke?

You will want at the very least two Griovalr's (The T2 weapon you were speaking off). You want one augmented for enfeebles and another augmented for nukes. There really isn't an inbetween option for RDM and getting the augments you want on Grio can be a pain, but if you want to nuke then you are looking at grabbing those.

I think the next best may be Emissary/Nibiru Cudgel + Culminus (?) but even that will only net you around 10 more MAB than what you are getting now.

Your magic bursts will always be weaker though since you aren't gifted Magic burst bonus like SCH and BLM have, nor do you get a free 22% from Cardinal chant like that GEO does. I guess you could get 11% from subbing GEO, but I'm not sure if that works or is worth it.
 Bismarck.Arcos
Serveur: Bismarck
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2016-09-06 11:01:26
Link | Citer | R

Nuking on Apex mobs, I liked RDM/SCH riding dark arts and composure the whole time. Rarely were cures needed with an average tank. This was my nuking gear, would start with Frazzle2/3. Grioavolr is a nice bonus, mine is augmented with Magic Burst Bonus+10% and some MAB.

I didn't prioritize my enhancing duration set until way late in the game but I wish I made that as much priority as my nuke set. With a fully augmented telchine set with reforged legs and feet, I can get a self haste near 22 minutes with composure and 18 minute refresh 3. Most BLMs can keep MP up, I focused on Hasting them as well as nuking. I think I converted a lot of nonbelievers who refused spots to me in the beginning. Once I had them convinced I could nuke, I played RDM/PLD and tanked. I wish all jobs could be as flexible as RDM.

Some of the most fun CP I've had was RDM/PLD tanking...
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2016-09-06 11:19:27
Link | Citer | R

Spicyryan said:
During the last campaign in Woh Gates we were pushing over 13m an hour when we focused. Using melee COR RDM, GEO SCH SCH BLM. The second SCH is purely optional, it can be a BRD or anything you want. If the SCH nukes it can be a WHM.

CDC or Death Blossom to Leaden with Inundation and Allies roll (after CP caps on chains you can switch to allies and sam) Will take off more than 50% of the mobs HP and the BLM cleans up.

You can obviously do this in a 3 or 4 step SC too, but I find 1 2 nuke to be faster.

RDM pulls.
 Ragnarok.Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2016-09-06 11:34:08
Link | Citer | R

eliroo said: »
Your magic bursts will always be weaker though since you aren't gifted Magic burst bonus like SCH and BLM have, nor do you get a free 22% from Cardinal chant like that GEO does. I guess you could get 11% from subbing GEO, but I'm not sure if that works or is worth it.

GEOs certainly don't go out of their way to take advantage of Cardinal chant so I wouldn't even count that. It's just Apex, not Reisenjima HELM. If you can hit 30k, you're fine to start. Some RDM that are geared out can hit 50-60k. Marin staff is okay for now. But if it's just for Apex, I'd focus on capping MB bonus on gear because your damage will increase the most that way.

Focus on your strengths as a RDM (being able to Haste 2 and refresh the party, Distract and frazzle 2/3, inundation) because you will not be able to outnuke a BLM SCH or GEO that have the same level of gear and outside Refresh and convert, have to rely on subjob aAspir for MP.
By eliroo 2016-09-06 11:36:19
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Rydal said: »
GEOs certainly don't go out of their way to take advantage of Cardinal chant so I wouldn't even count that.

I find that funny considering how easy it is to take advantage of but that is just the nature of lazy players.
 Bismarck.Arcos
By Bismarck.Arcos 2016-09-06 11:37:22
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Rydal said: »
because you will not be able to outnuke a BLM SCH or GEO that have the same level of gear and outside Refresh and convert, have to rely on subjob aAspir for MP.

I could keep up easily with Seidr Cotehardie. I never cast Aspir for MP, did convert when I missed a few MB though. Frazzle makes up for the lack of ilvl MACC on it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-09-06 11:47:41
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Arcos said: »

Why RDM/PLD over, say, RDM/BLU?
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-09-06 12:09:29
Link | Citer | R

RDM itself doesn't really have anything to grab hate, and /BLU's tools are mostly for a slower build-up for enmity, with the exception of Jettatura (which has a lengthy recast). /RUN is probably the best for that situation.
 Ragnarok.Rydal
By Ragnarok.Rydal 2016-09-06 13:57:34
Link | Citer | R

eliroo said: »
I find that funny considering how easy it is to take advantage of but that is just the nature of lazy players.

Easy, yes. Always feasible, no. Depending on the mob, map, and party set up, moving around the mob for a bonus for Cardinal Chant may hurt the party more than help.

I could keep up easily with Seidr Cotehardie. I never cast Aspir for MP, did convert when I missed a few MB though. Frazzle makes up for the lack of ilvl MACC on it.

It's helpful but practically speaking, I think people would rather Aspir than do meebles for that body. I never ran out of MP while Convert was down with Aspir+refresh.
 Bismarck.Arcos
By Bismarck.Arcos 2016-09-06 13:57:45
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »

Why RDM/PLD over, say, RDM/BLU?
With Haste 2 and good haste gear, the recast on Flash is around 15 seconds.

I prefer /PLD over /RUN for more of the physical defensive traits. Sentinel saved a few fights when we had adds everywhere. Also /RUN doesn't get Auto-refresh or defense bonus. RDM also gets native Barwater and runes are just something else to have to micromanage.
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
By Asura.Carrotchan 2016-09-06 14:24:00
Link | Citer | R

I've probably had the most fun CP'ing rdm than any other job. I've done pretty much all roles, MB, skillchain partner, main healer, I try and do as much as I can because it's so versitile

I was in a less than stellar party having to heavily main heal, debuff, buff and MB to keep things afloat, MP was an issue, so I whipped out a malevolence to energy drain at 3000% tp for 900MP and it was smooth sailing after that. It was a lot of fun to get some melee action in as well!

I mean you can pretty much do anything you want to do as RDM, your only limitation is how much effort you want to put in