PLD DTGear Feedback

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD DTGear feedback
PLD DTGear feedback
By Teimoli 2016-04-06 15:20:48
Link | Citer | R

Hey forum peeps. I'm fairly new to tanking on paladin and was working on the gear set that I would like. I'm hoping to get some feedback of whether or not this set will be good enough to handle higher tier (130+) content. I don't get too much time to play or make gil, so I didn't include +1s.

PLD Gearset

ItemSet 342965

[I edited this to actually show the set. --Rooks]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-06 15:32:55
Link | Citer | R

Don't you need accuracy to maintain hate better?

Also, Flume Belt is unneeded. You are already at 50% -DT without it.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-04-06 15:33:20
Link | Citer | R

Not much time to play so no +1 Sulevias but have Burtgang and new to tanking?

Not seeing much enmity or HP in this set as compared with say Souveran gear. There's acc, but what 130+ content would you have PLD needing acc for?
By Teimoli 2016-04-06 15:38:57
Link | Citer | R

Burtgang/aegis are long term dream goals. I haven't seen anyone use something other than flume belt so I kept it in for the damage to mp. Does PLD need to be at ~1100 acc like melees?
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-04-06 15:47:35
Link | Citer | R

Aside from Job Point parties, if a PLD is getting invited to a party then accuracy is usually not a concern. The main focus is just being able to hold hate and trying to be indestructible. Enemies these days spam so much crap that you'll probably be paralyzed, full dispelled, amnesia, TP drained, or whatever to even be able to use your WS very often.
[+]
By Teimoli 2016-04-06 16:10:11
Link | Citer | R

Alright. Thanks for the feedback. I will look for more enmity+ gear to add in.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2016-04-06 16:21:56
Link | Citer | R

Some high HP, high enmity gear via path C Souveran set:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Souveran_Armor_Set
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-04-06 16:36:24
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Don't you need accuracy to maintain hate better?

Also, Flume Belt is unneeded. You are already at 50% -DT without it.
Just to point this out again most jobs need to 52-54% dt to really be capped! An easy test is go get hit by 1000k needles. If you're not receiving 500 dmg only then you're not really capped. It is like most other stats in this game, not true values.

Here some DT/PDT value testing I did a while back: Chiaia' DT/PDT Testing
 Sylph.Feary
Serveur: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2016-04-26 01:44:46
Link | Citer | R

so then how good is the sulevia+1 set over souveriegn +1 etc.

im sure some slots are better than others.

i will craft myself of full souv set +1. however until then i want to know where this ambuscade set +1 stacks up, im sure some slot are better than others as well.
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2016-04-26 02:41:41
Link | Citer | R

souveran set is still better for tanking
By Elazar1 2016-04-26 03:38:20
Link | Citer | R

People on there dam acc sets for pld if you need a acc set to maintain good hate on pld, people should quit playing the job then!
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-04-26 03:50:06
Link | Citer | R

Do people not understand the difference between DD/DT hybrid sets and full DT tanking sets? You should have both, and know when you should use one or the other.
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-04-26 04:42:00
Link | Citer | R

Shield skill+ and Chance of successful block gear pieces are underappreciated.
 Sylph.Feary
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2016-04-26 05:50:47
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Akivatoo said: »
souveran set is still better for tanking

ty for the direct and timely reply.

my issues are more related to answering these, in the meantime, should i continue with on augmenting acro (similar to the Hybrid/turtles set in the quide) or spam for sulevia +1 and replace them with souv. as i can them.

if im 100 sure i will get the souv. set. why even bother with sulevia +1?

DRG i want to play again when i update my heavier armor and DRK or WAR i dont play. however that is not enough reason to gimp pld or prioritize the gear. it would just be a bonus.

only a few days left and i have like 100 runs to go lol XD need to just push something out. hoping to get pointed in the right direction.
 Asura.Vuq
user: Delagyela
By Asura.Vuq 2016-04-26 06:56:24
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Feary said: »
so then how good is the sulevia+1 set over souveriegn +1 etc.

im sure some slots are better than others.

i will craft myself of full souv set +1. however until then i want to know where this ambuscade set +1 stacks up, im sure some slot are better than others as well.

I havent bothered with the sulevia set because i have a souv+1 set.
I have no interest in ambuscade so far as being a pld goes.

The set bonus is 10%dt. That being said. With even 1 piece less. That 2% requires me to change a different piece of gear, like for example my belt slot. With sulevia u waste a belt slot on haste. With anything else you waste a belt slot on dt. With souv+1 you can use your belt slot on whatever you want(pet haste). I like that freedom.
So id say if you mix and match, you best be ready to dust off that nierenschez.
 Siren.Flannelman
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Flannelman 2016-04-26 11:43:40
Link | Citer | R

Youll notice that the Sulev. set is low in DEX compared to other sets, the HQ set restores a lot of this lost DEX
 Asura.Vuq
user: Delagyela
By Asura.Vuq 2016-04-26 12:44:54
Link | Citer | R

Also as for the original post, I would recommend vanir battery for tanking magic based mobs. That mdb+4 goes a long way believe it or not.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2016-04-26 19:41:51
Link | Citer | R

Having a full DT set and a hybrid is going to become essential as gear for melee continues to creep.

Dealing damage is very important if a group is using a Pld or Run instead of all DDs for Unity 135s.

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Aside from Job Point parties, if a PLD is getting invited to a party then accuracy is usually not a concern. The main focus is just being able to hold hate and trying to be indestructible. Enemies these days spam so much crap that you'll probably be paralyzed, full dispelled, amnesia, TP drained, or whatever to even be able to use your WS very often.

The reason why accuracy is not a concern for those fights is because they're out of reach by any conventional means. Melee aren't used.

The main focus of being indestructible is acceptable in a magic burst setup. Holding hate is trivial when the amount of enmity generated from damage dealt during magic bursts has been decreased.

However, insert melee and you will absolutely need to keep up with them. Being able to maintain a large fraction of their overall damage will help to share hate. Both will eventually share hate and bounce it.

Tripling the enmity cap simply wasn't enough for what an equipped melee or BST is capable of today.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2016-04-26 20:38:14
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Commencal said: »
However, insert melee and you will absolutely need to keep up with them. Being able to maintain a large fraction of their overall damage will help to share hate. Both will eventually share hate and bounce it.

Tripling the enmity cap simply wasn't enough for what an equipped melee or BST is capable of today.

Eh, depends on the content level. Under 130, it's a bit of an issue because damage dealt still generates a decent amount of enmity. Once you hit 135 though, damage just doesn't generate a whole lot of enmity. This is why it's actually easier to tank higher level content.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2016-04-26 21:52:23
Link | Citer | R

Perhaps in Reisenjima but I have to disagree specifically about all cl135 Unity mobs. A Pld can't turtle with melee involved. They can, but they won't be tanking unless the DD take considerable damage or die.

I understand less enmity is generated from damage as the content level rises. I'm trying to say we have nearly, if not already, out grown SE's adjustments to enmity.

Then again, I see a lot of groups who don't bring a tank anyway.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-04-26 22:03:59
Link | Citer | R

pre-adoulin/escha zones use different (and less favorable to pld) enmity and damage formulas, it has little to do with level

this means that on cl135 unity(or lower unity, or pretty much anything in old areas), people will cap hate much easier and the mob will bounce around

pld is a waste on such content because once someone caps hate, nothing you do is going to reliably keep it off that person.. better off bringing an additional geo for wilt if you're that concerned about their melee damage

all you really need to be an effective pld is a set that will keep you alive, content where you're expected to dd is content where pld is a very poor job choice
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2016-04-26 22:10:00
Link | Citer | R

I agree it's the wrong job for the content. If it's brought anyway, that's the only way a Pld can hope to bounce the mob with DD.

It's a false sense of safety to recover if DDs go down, but that points to other problems altogether.
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2016-04-27 02:53:00
Link | Citer | R

the best way to keep aggo actually is by improving few set:
-Cure
-Enmity
-Phalanx
accuracy isn't really and problem you have to take care as pld
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [86 days between previous and next post]
By Derfelcadarn 2016-07-22 14:31:58
Link | Citer | R

Quick question, the nq souveran also have the -damage taken set bonus?
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-07-22 14:33:48
Link | Citer | R

Derfelcadarn said: »
Quick question, the nq souveran also have the -damage taken set bonus?
no
only HQ has the armor set bonus
 Shiva.Eightball
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2016-07-22 14:51:56
Link | Citer | R

I know this thread is somewhat old but I did not see it when it started lol, mahayaya was the only one to mention it and only briefly so I wanted to clarify, Once DT- is capped HP is just as important as enmity for your build, enmity lost is based on %hp lost so taking 100 dmg with 2k hp is far worse for your enmity than taking dmg for 100 at 3k HP, I have over 3k Hp in near all content with NQ souveran so there really is no reason to be at 2k-2300 Hp on pld.