Is Koga Really That Sick?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Is koga really that sick?
Is koga really that sick?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Failaras
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-11-16 14:09:23
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
On paper Koga should be able 10-20% ahead of Tsu?
If you use the spreadsheets Koga should be around 20% ahead of Tsu, but obviously the spreadsheets don't take in to account AM upkeep, moving around, and all sorts of things that make Koga worse. From what I've observed I'm comfortable saying Koga has around a 150-200 DPS advantage over Tsurumaru in normal group play. It's definitly better but on an actual parse that is only going to be a few percent at best, not the 15-20% total group damage bonus people are saying in this post.

Really the thing that makes Koga good is self SCing, it's way better at making 4 step SCs than Tsurumaru. Obviously this doesn't apply very well since the OP stated he's parsing against other Sams.

Quote:
Those numbers aren't too different than what I have seen Koga sams do. Usually 30-45% of all dmg depending on how good the other DPS are and more importanlty if there is another Koga sam in the pt that is also good.
At best, another very good dps can hope for the high 20's if they're up against 2 very good koga sams.
that includes other mythics.
I parse a lot so this isn't based on math or maxing numbers, just what I observe to be the frequent result - good Koga sams annihilate everyone.
I don't even.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2014-11-16 14:13:09
Link | Citer | R

SAM needs a nerf asap :)
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-11-16 14:31:57
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Loire said: »
Probably should have thought of context before posting my set, but I always have the same setup(if I bring others, they form another DD party so mine still remains constant).. so yea, can rely on haste samba. I don't know what defense values you use, nor what buffs you count on, but I can agree that anguinus could be potentially better.
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-11-16 14:41:34
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said: »

A lot of thing need nerf ASAP :( atm the game feels like when you max out everything on offline ff and just murder stuff
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-11-16 14:50:45
Link | Citer | R

I wouldn't say a lot, just sam and skillchain damage, but mostly sam.
 Asura.Ccl
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-11-16 14:51:52
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Fiv said: »
I wouldn't say a lot, just sam and skillchain damage, but mostly sam.

healer with unlimited mp has to go too :(
 Asura.Fiv
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2014-11-16 15:04:41
Link | Citer | R

I wouldn't go and make WHM less enjoyable then it already is, already too many people that don't play any mage jobs, im ok with whm not having to rest anymore.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-11-16 15:30:00
Link | Citer | R

it's not about resting, it's about balance

whm doesn't have to think about mp conservation any more, i can just spam curaga 3/4 all run when doing delve or incursion and never run out of mp even if a lot goes to waste

the af3 legs mechanic is really interesting in that it makes not overcuring relevant again, but it's too powerful, needs to be scaled back

a good balance would make a whm using mp carefully able to avoid resting, but leave resting as a possible outcome if you are careless with your mp
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-11-16 15:47:14
Link | Citer | R

could also add a cap to the leg effect. nearly free curagas shouldn't be a thing. cap it out at 30-50% of a spell's cost
 Sylph.Safiyyah
Serveur: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-11-16 15:47:29
Link | Citer | R

I wouldn't go and make WHM less enjoyable then it already is, already too many people that don't play any mage jobs, im ok with whm not having to rest anymore.

+1. The healer gameplay in XI sucks compared to other MMOs. If you make the one viable healer option harder, you're going to cut WHM numbers (and there aren't that many serious WHMs out there anymore).
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2014-11-16 17:03:37
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »

+1. The healer gameplay in XI sucks compared to other MMOs. If you make the one viable healer option harder, you're going to cut WHM numbers (and there aren't that many serious WHMs out there anymore).

Was good at 75cap, but, yeah. You could take pride in effectively managing your mp in those days.

Ever since the second installation of Abyssea, it has just been garbage.

Carry on though, SAM op etc, how nostalgic.
 Carbuncle.Xenhas
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Xenhas
By Carbuncle.Xenhas 2014-11-16 23:38:28
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Oraen said: »
Ryu is so superior due to AM3. I don't know how people underestimate bonus acc/atk and OA2-3x that procs in both TP and WS settings. Mythic AM is superb.

acc, att, and oa2-3 are each on different levels of aftermath. They won't be active at thr same time

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
Serveur: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2014-11-17 01:44:33
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Xenhas said: »
Ryu is so superior due to AM3. I don't know how people underestimate bonus acc/atk and OA2-3x that procs in both TP and WS settings. Mythic AM is superb.

acc, att, and oa2-3 are each on different levels of aftermath. They won't be active at thr same time
Yeah, I worded it poorly, sorry about that. Meant to describe the stages better.

Valefor.Angierus said: »

This makes me so upset to read, I hope the server you're on isn't unfortunate enough to have 30k alex wiped from its existence if you make one.

Wow, you're kind of a ***. I meant that each stage of AM is powerful, not that you received all bonuses at once. But, please, continue to be confrontational over the internet for no reason.
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2014-11-17 02:34:32
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

Was good at 75cap, but, yeah. You could take pride in effectively managing your mp in those days.

Its part of the standard trifecta of tank healer dd concept that existed when the game came out from all MMOs at the time. One can still be a much more effective whm knowing to pre cure/curaga/erase/na which changes your role from reactionary to preemptive and can easily increase all throughput from the party/ally you are in charge of. Not to mention taking on other roles with an extremely effective regen that can be accessioned, boost-stat, and repose. Its the same story you see with any support base job, you do the basics and its boring as ***and you'll be par at best.
 Bahamut.Malothar
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2014-11-17 03:15:58
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
(Yes, it's really that sick. The only thing that will realistically compare to koga is abusing GEO MDB-/MAB+ on mobs that don't resist magical ws.)

Funnest ***ever. Too bad it's not realistic in most content. :( Needs moar 20k Flash Novas on all the things.
By Santi 2014-11-17 03:36:44
Link | Citer | R

The real issue with WHM is not having Yagrush.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Daffel
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2014-11-17 04:59:14
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

I remember WHM at Lv75, "

Me: WHM do you need it?
Guy: RDM do you have it?
Me: Sorry, no
Guy: ...

. . .

/cries
[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-11-17 08:16:57
Link | Citer | R

Is koga sam good? It can be, the one samurai with one that I thought was really awesome with it doesn't play anymore.
I have seen a few bad ones that fail at AM3 upkeep that are probably not leveraging the weapon to its full potential and are barely pulling ahead of tsuru.

Bahamut.Malothar said: »
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
(Yes, it's really that sick. The only thing that will realistically compare to koga is abusing GEO MDB-/MAB+ on mobs that don't resist magical ws.)

Funnest ***ever. Too bad it's not realistic in most content. :( Needs moar 20k Flash Novas on all the things.
What content is 'not working' for your geo when trying to use magic ws?
Even if the target is not magic *weak* , flash nova from a geo or even a blu is not bad, you already are a guaranteed party slot i'm just wondering what you find lacking (incursion 129+ isnt relevant for 99% of player where magic damage resist start going crazy)
Best geo are the one that are at least meleeing if they gotta stand next to target, I have some that still just stand there and dont melee -.-

Also for stuff you can flash nova on geo well, you can drop extra sam and bring a cor and do more damage :P Allies roll so OP.
Cor is most under appreciated dd since they fixed the magic ws.
Leaden salute spam cor/dnc + flash nova geo and 1 sam is best 3 dps combo than stacking 2+ sam for content where magic ws is either unresisted or weak to it.

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
They don't need nerf, in general people need to find well geared alt job that have good synergy with 1 samurai instead of assuming they need more than 1.
THAT would be a really good improvement. You dont even need samurai to clear delve or incursion efficiently, but 99% of the people can't stretch their mind to accommodate that so lets at least try to advocate using 1 samurai at most in party for starters :P

The worst affliction plaguing the player base is ignorance of the dps strength of other job than samurai. Yes this means other job has to be exceptional geared to compete, but its like noone thinks those players exist.

When people turn down non-sam jobs that do well on gimmick/magic weak content because they want a samurai, you know ffxi has gone full retard.....
Corsair is a dd rant starts now you've been warned.
Yesterday someone shout for Ra'Kaz skirmish 5/5/5, They shout they need dd slot. I say hey I can come Cor/dnc I have mythic and 1shot umbrils etc.
they reply: I need real dd like sam...
so they eventually tire of shouting and finally bring me.
They had a mnk and ryuno drg and their combined damage was less than mine.
Party building has decayed to 'I need a dd, just throw samurai at it' more and more.
I could just do stuff with ls people only and not care about how lame the pug scene is now, but I like to try thing and meet new people, what I see with people putting random party together is still troubling.

Again, classic example of people not knowing what job shine best for what content. At least blu are getting regular invite for skirmish... i hope.

I get brought for cor roll to woh gate merit/cp.
I party with 2 sam, Cor 1st place on parse in both total damage dealt and sc damage because cor/dnc melee tp phase is crazy high ws frequency and leaden ws synergy well with fudo spam sam.
sam: "I didnt know cor could do so much damage"
We could have dropped 1 sam and brought a blu or geo and still make 12-14 jobpoint in an hour.

Yeah lol bragging at being 1st on meripo parse but again another example where noone expects a non-samurai job to be good damage but it is.
[+]
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-11-17 08:26:39
Link | Citer | R

I`ve beat a Sam in parse against Wopket on Blu. It's not about the job its about the player. Just because you're rocking a mythic doesn't automatically make you good.
By volkom 2014-11-17 08:28:30
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sapphire said: »
The worst affliction plaguing the player base is ignorance of the dps strength of other job than samurai. Yes this means other job has to be exceptional geared to compete, but its like noone thinks those players exist.

haven't played for a while (you know that) but wouldn't that show that there's a massive imbalance if it does take an exceptional geared job to compete with a mediocre/decent geared sam?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2014-11-17 08:53:38
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »

haven't played for a while (you know that) but wouldn't that show that there's a massive imbalance if it does take an exceptional geared job to compete with a mediocre/decent geared sam?

According to my experience, most of the "Mediocre geared" SAM doesn't parse high though, it's easy enough to beat most of the PUG SAM using same lv of gears.
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-11-17 09:02:53
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »

The general bandwagon tsuru sam leaves much to be desired.
(so far I utterly shame bandwagon sams on parses with corsair, so people should bandwagon cor not sam :P)

The pill we all swallow that says decent geared sam matches or surpasses well geared alternatives is mainly from spreadsheets.
There is ton of scoreboard/parse that people have tried to bring forward that shows other dd jobs perform well, but is always hand waved away (the sam in your group sucks, speadsheet shows they should have done this much, etc).
I don't care what the spreadsheet says when I keep seeing kparse/scoreboard showing that sams arent as amazing as they assumed to be, theoretical dps potential from a spreadsheet means nothing if noone is actually attaining that time and time again.
Spreadsheet is a useful tool, scoreboard and kparse is useful tool to tune performance (hey samurai you are 85% acc from my parse on serac rabbits no wonder i beat you by 20% damage over 1hour of time) people go to sam forum, use copypaste builds and fall short on parse because their acc sucks, etc ALL THE TIME

Spreadsheet doesnt model multiple job synergy well, nor can it show how corsair always closing on fudo is better damage over time than corsair opening darkness and not camping sc closing.
Hours of killing crap in woh gates, having a wsavg of twice that of any samurai while having 2/3rds the ws frequency and still trouncing them in sc+total damage dealt. There is no spreadsheet that models and shows how good a corsair works paired with a sam.

Before anyone thinks damage to woh mobs is irrelevant, Serac rabbits are considered one of the target mobs people gauge gearsets against for tp and ws phase.

The multi corsair group that utterly wrecks delve with multiple corsairs on another server (cerberus i believe) is considered to be an utterly pointless metagame alternative to 'throw sams at stuff.
People somehow find it harder to gear corsairs or think it demands a higher level of player skill than gearing up bandwagon sams or annihilator rangers to kill everything.
[+]
 Valefor.Sapphire
By Valefor.Sapphire 2014-11-17 09:12:20
Link | Citer | R

Most people (samurai or not) would probably improve their damage by 10% if they used scoreboard at a minimum and knew how to tweak their tp builds to not over/undershoot accuracy.

My main argument is that 'well geared' non sam dd is good option because they try harder and fine tune their gearset to the situation better than *any* bandwagon dd regardless. To me 'well geared' means knowledge of the job and adaptability, not dying because you know when you should swap to dt set etc.

I had 1 samurai die in a woh party and he argued that he lost parse cause of it, i didnt know 3-5 minutes downtime out of a 1hr grind was going to make or break me winning lol....excuses!

edit:
We are better off these days with spreadsheets to guide us in build selection compared to 'feels like i do good damage'.
But the extreme of 'all bow before what the spreadsheet says' has blinded too many people to great amount of diversity and amazing dd combinations that can be brought to bear.
[+]
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2014-11-17 09:15:01
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Calatilla said: »
I`ve beat a Sam in parse against Wopket on Blu. It's not about the job its about the player. Just because you're rocking a mythic doesn't automatically make you good.

did anyone at least tell the SAM where he/she needs to improve? And by where I mean "everything".
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2014-11-17 09:29:35
Link | Citer | R

He didn't actually have a Koga, he had an Amano if that makes any difference. I didn't comment on the parse personally, I don't really care for parses. Not sure if anyone else did.
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-11-17 10:17:23
Link | Citer | R

Essentially the argument you are making Sapphire is that bad Sams are bad. That doesn't somehow make the job weaker or not deserving of a nerf (it really needs one) it just is the normal shitter being ***. If that same person played another job they'd do even worse because they were bad on top of playing a weak job. Throw sams at stuff exists because it works, the job is currently too powerful and makes bringing other jobs pointless unless you know that player is good at said job. When making shout groups people don't have the luxury of knowing that "this random Drk that sent me a tell is actually really good" so they decline the Drk in favor of a job that is the stronger of the two jobs when played at equal skill.
By volkom 2014-11-17 10:24:35
Link | Citer | R

i think most of it is the ignorance of the playerbase in not knowing the potential of other jobs besides the bandwagon/fotm ones.
A good sam is always going to put up good numbers because of the player and a bad one will always do bad. Same can be said about most jobs.

not saying that sam isn't a powerful job, but people seem to have tunnel vision a lot.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-11-17 10:27:57
Link | Citer | R

It's a pointless argument. Bad players are bad adds nothing to the discussion. The same player on different jobs will do different dps. No amount of 'but I won that many parses' will put sam any lower on the scale. The job is considerably stronger than others, certainly than cor.
[+]