Samurai Polearm Guide
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Volition
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Volition
By Asura.Volition 2009-08-10 11:10:40
Link | Citer | R

I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent Samurai Polearm guide? I plan on using polearms as soon as I get to Wajaom (still have to skill up, ugh) but was just wondering if someone could recommend the best for that level bracket, and any other level brackets for that matter.

Thanks
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2009-08-10 11:13:31
Link | Citer | R

Heres a tip > don't use vorpal thrust on birds instead of penta thrust like the SAM in my merit last night -.- she used vorpal thrust for about 100 damage, when I asked why she said "because it makes a skillchain..." which done an addition 50 damage...ish...

><
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-10 11:13:56
Link | Citer | R

You can generally just look at the DPS per weapon until Tomoe.

Kamayari +1
Battle Fork +1
Golden Spear +1
Engetsuto +1
Leviathan's Couse / Tomoe.

Some prefer the Couse, but... I prefer Tomoe.
 Pandemonium.Bonlack
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Bonlack
By Pandemonium.Bonlack 2009-08-10 11:32:36
Link | Citer | R

Honestly I would say stick with GK if you have soboro. The added damage of piercing from pole wont be as much as GK which is A+ skill vs. B. If no Soboro the i'd say just get a lvl appropriate polearm wih decent damage, theres not much to choose from for SAM.
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-10 11:34:26
Link | Citer | R

It doesn't hurt to keep their options open though, even if most of the time you're using one or the other. Do you only use GA and not have Axe leveled at all, Bonlack?
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-10 11:37:38
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:

Kamayari +1
Battle Fork +1
Golden Spear +1
Engetsuto +1

^ I'd say just get Polearms for 54-58 range and 60-66 range when you actually do birds.

Bonlack said:
Honestly I would say stick with GK if you have soboro. The added damage of piercing from pole wont be as much as GK which is A+ skill vs. B. If no Soboro the i'd say just get a lvl appropriate polearm wih decent damage, theres not much to choose from for SAM.

You sir are oblivious. Soboro on birds is the most counterproductive weapon there is due to the TP feeding. A good penta sam can avg 800 penta in the 50s and 1k in the 60s, soboro is really overrated. It's a /dnc and /rng weapon, it's ok for dmg but is not better than polearm.

Save your tanks and mages a headache and stick to polearms or single hit GK on birds.
[+]
 Kujata.Argettio
Serveur: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-08-10 11:56:51
Link | Citer | R

The 2 biggest things to remember about Polearm SAM is:

1. Your Polearm skill is not the same as your GKT skill
2. Your Polearm weaponskill is not the same as your GKT weaponskill

I see far to many SAMs using a polearm with the same TP gear as they would for a GKT... you just lost ~30 acc from changing weapon (@75), you NEED to TP in more ACC.

I also see too many SAMs WSing in their normal Y/G/K gear. As mentioned above you need more acc just because you are using a polearm; Penta is a 5 hit WS and the damage is largely dependent on how many hits you land, so you need even MORE acc to do decent damage.

Not to mention the low STR modifier, and the secondary DEX modifier meaning that a full on STR build is not going to do very well (I am looking at you Alky Bracelets).

Polearm SAM (certainly at 75) requires different gear than regular SAM, and you need to build sets just for your polearm.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
Serveur: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-08-10 11:57:06
Link | Citer | R

Bonlack said:

I have to agree :( you are inducing so much pecking fury it makes the mage's sad lol. When you hit level 50 the soboro is godly indeed but when you hit 54+ and go to birds polearm really shines for a bit.
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-08-10 12:01:16
Link | Citer | R

Yakutatazu said:
Tbest said:

Kamayari +1
Battle Fork +1
Golden Spear +1
Engetsuto +1

^ I'd say just get Polearms for 54-58 range and 60-66 range when you actually do birds.

Bonlack said:

You sir are oblivious. Soboro on birds is the most counterproductive weapon there is due to the TP feeding. A good penta sam can avg 800 penta in the 50s and 1k in the 60s, soboro is really overrated. It's a /dnc and /rng weapon, it's ok for dmg but is not better than polearm.

Save your tanks and mages a headache and stick to polearms or single hit GK on birds.
But it occasionally attacks 2-3x and gives me a LOT of TP!!! It can't be bad!!! Wait.... It gives the MOB a lot of TP too!?!?! Why wasn't I informed of this!?
[+]
 Seraph.Greyfin
Serveur: Seraph
user: Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-08-10 12:22:07
Link | Citer | R

Look into the Killing Ifrit SAM forums, you will find what you need there.
Start here:
http://killingifrit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=178715&st=0&start=0
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2009-08-10 12:30:46
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, just avoid the Soboro in Exp.

54-66 Polearms/Single hit GK(if doing spiders/crawlers around 60)

66-72/73 single hit GK

72/73+ Hagun/Onimaru

75 Birds - Tomoe/Engetsu(+1)/Gondo(broken, don't break it in merits..)

Reason I say use a single hit 66-72 is Soboro tends to feed tp which means more amnesia and which means tping to 300 more often and hot being able to use your ws.

Soboro is godsend in Campaign as /dnc or really anything soloing as /dnc. In the rare occasion that you actually tp on something as /rng it would be good as well, although no one really does that anymore.

I'd suggest getting Hagun/Onimaru/Tomoe/Soboro at 75 though. Hagun for 90% of fighting, Onimaru for when you have time to med to 300 for just a sc or for 2hr, Tomoe for birds or anytime you need piercing (limbus etc), Soboro for /dnc.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Nalien
user: juro
By Pandemonium.Nalien 2009-08-10 13:10:09
Link | Citer | R

Who the *** cares about mob TP , only a loser of a RDM or WHM would have trouble.
[+]
 Kujata.Houshisama
Serveur: Kujata
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-08-10 13:11:35
Link | Citer | R

Nalien said:
Who the *** cares about mob TP , only a loser of a RDM or WHM would have trouble.

moron.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-08-10 13:24:07
Link | Citer | R

Name calling is unnecessary. Contribute or don't post. Thanks.
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-08-10 13:35:00
Link | Citer | R

Yes, please dont use Soboro in meriting lol,

for best polearm to use, Imo

Levi Couse #1

Tomoe #2

i prefer Gondo-Shizunori(Unlocked ofcourse)

over Engetsuto because 2 acc isnt groundbreaking, but 6% Crit adds alot to DPS

id use Engetsuto+1 over Gondo though, and i have a 5 hit w/ my Polearm which i recomend, and as much acc as u can add lol,
[+]
 Odin.Mugeded
Serveur: Odin
user: bert92020
By Odin.Mugeded 2009-08-10 15:25:27
Link | Citer | R

there are often time i see sam go into limbus without polarm lvled.

if you are a sam that got a limbus shell you better have it lvl up to pentra. other wise you will just be wasting your shells' time or get in the way, especailly in apollyon where you got weapon type mobs.
[+]
 Seraph.Greyfin
Serveur: Seraph
user: Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-08-10 15:29:45
Link | Citer | R

Nalien said:

SAM lvl 1, i wouldnt be taking advice from him. w
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-08-10 15:49:30
Link | Citer | R

Rumaha said:
Yes, please dont use Soboro

And while we're at it, let's not use Ridill, Joyeuse, Kclub, Mercurial Kris, Mercurial Sword, etc either. They're so crappy <.< Good for nothing >.> Gives the mob TP and...Blah...blah...blah...

Soboro, if geared correctly, can easily outdo Hagun, and honestly if you're actually concerned about giving a mob TP, you wouldn't have invited a SAM in the first place.
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-08-10 15:50:25
Link | Citer | R

Enternius said:
Rumaha said:

And while we're at it, let's not use Ridill, Joyeuse, Kclub, Mercurial Kris, Mercurial Sword, etc either. They're so crappy <.< Good for nothing >.> Gives the mob TP and...Blah...blah...blah...

Soboro, if geared correctly, can easily outdo Hagun, and honestly if you're actually concerned about giving a mob TP, you wouldn't have invited a SAM in the first place.

Show me a parse of it happening ._., idc about feeding mobs TP.
[+]
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-08-10 16:13:42
Link | Citer | R

Enternius said:

Not this *** again. Soboro is bad and you should feel bad(and it has nothing to do with mob tp). There are a couple levels where it is okay but after those levels you should be using Polearm until you can use better GKTs/GKT weaponskills.
[+]
 Valefor.Usul
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Usul 2009-08-10 16:23:10
Link | Citer | R

Enternius said:

I'd like to see who mainhands a Ridill/K.Club/M.Kris and isn't using a ranged ws or DRK zerging. None of these are even relative to Soboro other than the fact that they can multi-hit. You don't ws with them for damage like you have to with Soboro.

I swear Soboro is like a kid's toy. People find it fun to ws fast and assume it's better. Take your Soboro and tp on a chariot and refuse to use anything else b/c you think it's 'better' and see how long you last in that group.

Rumaha said:
Enternius said:
Rumaha said:

Show me a parse of it happening ._., idc about feeding mobs TP.

Seriously, who's handing out the crack pipes here? I'd like to see this parse too.

Hagun gets better as your gear gets better. If you want to replace your Hagun for damage then get an Amanomurakumo, Futsuno Mitama, or Polearm (for birds).

If you're really stuck on Soboro then you should invest in an Yoichinoyumi and put it to a viable reason.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-10 16:47:57
Link | Citer | R

Rumaha said:

Levi Couse #1

Tomoe #2

id use Engetsuto+1 over Gondo though, and i have a 5 hit w/ my Polearm which i recomend, and as much acc as u can add lol,

You're not going to get a 5hit w/ eng+1 w/o wearing almost no haste gear. Eng > eng+1
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-08-10 16:48:37
Link | Citer | R

Vegetto said:
Rumaha said:

Levi Couse #1

Tomoe #2

You're not going to get a 5hit w/ eng+1 w/o wearing almost no haste gear. Eng > eng+1

that is what i was thinking as well, but i was looking at strait DPS and not thinking :x

i think ud need +28 on top of merits to get a 5 hit
 Ifrit.Clouse
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Clouse
By Ifrit.Clouse 2009-08-10 17:22:38
Link | Citer | R

Houshisama said:
Nalien said:

moron.

i said the same thing irl before i read that post

i low-man near everything i do in this game and tp feeding is like painting a target on urself.
[+]
 Valefor.Lilbusta
Serveur: Valefor
user:
By Valefor.Lilbusta 2009-08-10 17:24:42
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Clouse said:
Houshisama said:
Nalien said:

moron.

i low-man near everything i do in this game and tp feeding is like painting a target on urself.

kinda like how people frowned on melee rdms in exp pt?

seriously though...it's just better to beat on things with a giant stick, RL and GL for sure! ^^
 Ifrit.Clouse
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Clouse
By Ifrit.Clouse 2009-08-10 17:31:30
Link | Citer | R

Lilbusta said:
Clouse said:
Houshisama said:
Nalien said:

moron.

kinda like how people frowned on melee rdms in exp pt?

seriously though...it's just better to beat on things with a giant stick, RL and GL for sure! ^^

i honestly never cared if a rdm melee'd, as long as they kept up with debuff/refresh and healing. in an xp pt mob tp isnt as important (depending on the mob ur fighting) as doing something like WSNM's with 3 ppl. ect
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-08-10 18:06:22
Link | Citer | R

Only use Soboro if you have Lifebelt Gloves and Tungi Sushi.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-08-10 18:25:11
Link | Citer | R

Nalien said:

^

GUIDE: Use Penta Thrust once you get it at Lv.51, spam crab sushi whilst leveling because it's dirt cheap and good food.

Lv.60, you get Couse, and murderrape to an even further extent.

Lv.70+, use Engetsuto until Tomoe, and once the skill is capped, pretty much be ready to use polearm on 80%+ of every TW-VT you fight.

This is what your Penta Thrust equipment should look like, end product.

TP gear is essentially the same as GK; make sure you have 5/5 Store TP merits as soon as you can, and you'll hold your five-hit no problem. Incase you're curious though, here's what you should look like when TP'ing with a polearm.

Assuming you gear it all effectively, let's just say,
User submitted image

User submitted image

you might just parse like a boss.

That was from yesterday's Einherjar, tier three with demons, taurus, imps/single-bats, and the boss being a Vampyr (though I used my Hagun on this guy obviously). I used Yellow Curry Buns too there, but I also have 8/8 polearm, so you may be inclined to use Marinara Pizza (+1) at Lv.75 for an such as that.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Nalien
user: juro
By Pandemonium.Nalien 2009-08-15 11:01:30
Link | Citer | R

Clouse said:
Houshisama said:
Nalien said:

moron.

Oh thanks, I've definately low manned more than anyone nagging about TP, and I'm still sticking to my point of TP feed being obsolete if your mages are ANY decent.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-08-15 11:15:35
Link | Citer | R

<3 nal

rice
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6