Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » SAM/RNG Item Sets
SAM/RNG Item Sets
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-08-03 10:03:15
Link | Citer | R

I'd like to go the /RNG route for my SAM, if only for the novelty more than anything else. I'm a Taru, so I'd like to capitalise on our good AGI vs. our bad STR.

Planned TP setup.

Planned Sidewinder setup.

Comments or suggestions?
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Serveur: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-08-03 10:04:55
Link | Citer | R

I tried going the /rng route on sam, but to be honest... if you are fighting lolibri, just stick to polearm and /war. You'll be top of the parses anyway. Grab the r.acc gear for pulling if you care about that.

Also, /rng sidewinder will only work SAM57+. I found I'd always get resynced to 54-55 and then I would be stuck with a worthless subjob for 2 levels.
 Leviathan.Webjester
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-08-03 10:30:15
Link | Citer | R

Here's my Sidewinder Item set:

Sidewinder

Hypnotizd said:
I tried going the /rng route on sam, but to be honest... if you are fighting lolibri, just stick to polearm and /war. You'll be top of the parses anyway. Grab the r.acc gear for pulling if you care about that.

Also, /rng sidewinder will only work SAM57+. I found I'd always get resynced to 54-55 and then I would be stuck with a worthless subjob for 2 levels.

^ Solid advice ^
 Siren.Kuz
Serveur: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2009-08-03 10:33:43
Link | Citer | R

Hmmm...

Few suggestions I can make.
O.Hat. Definitely O.Hat.
sure the P.Charm helps. with O.hat you can leave your Rajas and STR rings on while you WS. It'll beat the hell outta that Turban.

Also...careful with the Brutal on with Soboro.
When Double Attack goes off...it overrides the 2-3 hit from Soboro.
IF you're looking at it just for the Store TP... then chiv Chain it and macro in P.Charm for Sidewinders.

One last suggestion...which is more for fun then anything else...
Try augmenting your Behemoth Rings in Sky with the level 7 fight.
I'll post a pic when i can but i managed to get +2 STR on one.
if you can get that lucky... would be awesome.
 Bahamut.Pheliont
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Pheliont
By Bahamut.Pheliont 2009-08-03 10:48:04
Link | Citer | R

get rid of smilo+1, str +5 vs amemet+1 str +2 ratk+15

either of these work great too

Jaeger Mantle
DEF:7 R.Acc+20 R.Atk-10

Gunner's Mantle
DEF:7 R.Acc-10 R.Atk+20

if u are using sam/rng meriting on colibri, you can try to toss out 1 behemoth ring for rajas, depending on racc+

edit- with the new expansion, my new head sidewinder ws piece is the anwig salade with str+4 WS acc+15, agi+4 ws dmg+2%

main is rng, not sure how that would go with sam, and yours would be the heavy helm one, not light armor
 Ifrit.Jamesglogan
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Jamesglogan 2009-08-03 11:00:07
Link | Citer | R

I acautally do SAM/RNG, its a heck of a lot of fun. I took it to camp battles in past now that 500 ppl on each mob it makes me at least have a chance to get ahold of the mob. I will get you a link to my gear. #1 pieace I can recomond for you is Breeze Gorget, this HIGHLY increased damage and ACC. It is one of the sea Gorgets. I also wear Hachy gear for the sam when I do this. All of that gear is usally garbage but it incresase accuracy of Sidewinder. This WS and setup will do you no good if your accuracy is bad and you miss 8/10 Sidewinders. Another problem with the birds' is they eat your ACC food. You do have a nice STR build from what I see planned so it will be one heck of a hit when it lands but its more of a if land on anything. I think I counted with my sorbo and haste setup with gear swaps I drop a Sidewinder every 20-42 seconds.

Have fun and I will try to get my equip build for you.
 Odin.Aramina
Serveur: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-03 11:26:43
Link | Citer | R

I'll get my SAM/RNG stuff posted for you, but some things to look at, depending on how seriously you take it...

8/8 Archery Merits

1 of the Sea Gorgets that affect Sidewinder (I use Light since I had it for Kasha anyway)

As you have down, Seiryu's Kote are almost a must, but the Osode could be replaced with the ACP body with r.atk/r.acc.

O.Hat > Sipahi for Sidewinder.

Um, Fenrir's Earring, but only at night.

If you do Einherjar, Buccaneer's Belt.
If you do not, Precise Belt or Saotome Koshi-Ate.

Anyway, just some ideas for now. Shigeto +1 is probably the bow to have, but I know that on my server they are few and far between, so you may need to either contract a crafter to make one for you or just shout around to get one.

Kabura Arrows are NOT worth the extra damage and cost for the loss of accuracy and the expense. Stick with Scorpion Arrows for Barrage and TP and Demon for Sidewinder.

Whether you TP with ranged or melee depends on what you are doing (Kited Sea Jailers, you'll probably be ranged attacking, so might want to get a Fire/Vulcan Staff and Axe Grip).

I'd recommend Hachiman legs for a cheap set, or Dusk Trousers if you're more serious about it, for your Sidewinder build. Also probably would go with Amemet +1, but that's just me.

I've used my SAM/RNG for pretty much anything, including KS99 Behemoth and Wyrm, Jailers, Sky Gods, etc. It's hella fun, but really gear dependent.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Serveur: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-08-03 14:25:58
Link | Citer | R

I'd definitely support doing SAM/RNG while exping as pretty much everything after the point you get Sidewinder is piercing-friendly in AU, but @75 I think it begins to slouch. The main turn-off to the combo in general is with Soboro in order to really get the effectiveness of the setup you're going to be spamming WS very frequently which means it's not very realistic to expect any tank to keep pace. Merits are a little more forgiving depending on the other DDs, but can be just as bad or worse when you're supplying gobs of TP in the trade-off for Soboro. D:

With that said, SAM/RNG is more fun than most jobs could hope to have. lol Sponging be damned (I know, I know), going to the crow camp outside of Nashmau and dumping 30-40%HP per WS round is exhilirating assuming you land the shots! lol

Also, for your gear sets have you accounted for a 6-hit setup? I think the delay from Shigeto on WS might already get you there in case you've already accounted for that, but I'm not completely sure. D:
 Fairy.Vegetto
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-08-04 14:51:18
Link | Citer | R

Any exp camp you'd do well at w/ /rng and sidewinder, you'd to a ton better w/ polearm and penta.
 Odin.Aramina
Serveur: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-08-04 15:32:07
Link | Citer | R

SAM/RNG for me, at least, is more for endgame kited fights. It's great for things like Jailers of Hope, Fortitude, and Faith, as well as Ix'Aerns (MNK and DRK) which are all almost always kited.

Against Fortitude especially, ranged attacks seem to do significantly more damage than melee attacks, especially with Soboro. 17-35 dmg per shot and 200-250 Sidewinders. Yeah, it sounds lame, but trust me, if you haven't done Fortitude before, 250 WS as often as you'll be able to do it with SAM/RNG is significant.

I have even used SAM/RNG for Justice (not kited, but we'd just done Hope, and the boss asked if I'd give /RNG a try for Justice). During that fight, I fired around 50 Sidewinders and parsed second by a slim margin to a very well equipped DRK/THF.

I would love to get a Hope Torque, but it's not worth trying to lot it away from a Ninja or Ranger to me, when I'm not even sure how it would compare to the gorget that I already have (It would definitely be better for Barrage, though).
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-08-04 15:51:07
Link | Citer | R

Vegetto said:
Any exp camp you'd do well at w/ /rng and sidewinder, you'd to a ton better w/ polearm and penta.

That, and at Lv.75, expect to stack so much R.ACC in the first place to land, where your 'winders will do some pretty pitiful damage, making them weaker than Hagun /WAR (or /DRG) 24.7.

Use Engetsuto/Tomoe on anything EP-VT (barring -piercing things), Hagun on anything above such.

Edit: The only thing I've used this for within the last two years was the final ACP fight.
 Bahamut.Rumaha
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-08-04 15:57:21
Link | Citer | R

Ironguy said:

Use Engetsuto/Tomoe on anything EP-VT (barring -piercing things), Hagun on anything above such.

This BUT

1. http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=18109

2. http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=18126

3. http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=18097

4. http://www.ffxiah.com/item.php?id=18115
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2009-08-04 15:59:04
Link | Citer | R

yea that
 Bahamut.Rumaha
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-08-04 16:01:39
Link | Citer | R

Oh, Sam/Rng is kinda dead yea, w/ a Soboro its really really fun though, thats about it, ill make an item set for fun though :O
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [66 days between previous and next post]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 19:08:53
Link | Citer | R

Soboro is sam's top main weapon slot for merits, if we're talking no restrictions in gear.
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-09 19:25:48
Link | Citer | R

Losing DoT is bad, yes, but Soboro beats Hagun in DoT anyway and with 3x faster WSs, for even more damage than a Hagun, what's there to lose?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 19:26:52
Link | Citer | R

Soboro doesn't ws anywhere near x3 as fast as Hagun
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-09 19:28:00
Link | Citer | R

Soboro alone is just under twice as fast, I know.

But Barrage is an instant 100 TP so that's a third WS.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-09 19:30:40
Link | Citer | R

Yes, but barrage has a 5 minute recast, unless you only ws once w/ hagun in 5 mins then twice w/ soboro (and add barrage) then its still not coming close to x3 as fast, assuming you even land all the hits on barrage to begin with.