Turn off TV -> FFXI crash
 Ragnarok.Cornmaker
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Cornmaker
By Ragnarok.Cornmaker 2013-09-28 15:16:32
Link | Citer | R

hey ho

i'm having some kinda issue with my new LG 47LN5758 i got today...when i turn off my tv but leave XI on i get the "unplugged device" sound and XI crashes...
feels like the tv disconnects from my graphicscard...i have no idea if i can actually fix this...maybe it's a bug with the smart-tv being connected to my wlan and when i turn the tv off it disconnects from everything? i dunno...card currently used is a HD5750 or 70 idr...too old...getting a new pc within the next 2 weeks with a gtx760 tf...
before i had a 50" plasma w/o any smart-tv function and it worked fine when turing the tv off...

so any idea/help would be appreciated
 Lakshmi.Aliandria
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: zanno
By Lakshmi.Aliandria 2013-09-28 15:36:44
Link | Citer | R

I've got the same thing. Also get that sound when I shut off the TV, and then my screen blinks and I get a message that POL crashed. I got AMD Radeon HD 6800, but I recall having the same issue on my old card.
 Fenrir.Camiie
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2013-09-28 16:02:52
Link | Citer | R

Running it through HDMI I assume? It must be something with the way Windows handles HDMI. If your TV has a VGA port and PC sound input you could try that and see what happens. I bet you it wouldn't crash then.
By Kyler 2013-09-28 16:20:38
Link | Citer | R

It's because TVs usually do a resolution check every time devices connect to them. Windows may also switch to "basic" display settings meaning less fancy flourecent windows and such bit FF(And windower) have never handled this well. I'm not sure if it happens in full screen as I have never played in full screen lul.

Edit: also a lot of newer TVs have different HDMI support settings which may turn them off under certain circumstances to either conserve power or some Newage nonesense. I would check both your computer and TV HDMI settings
 Ragnarok.Cornmaker
user: Cornmaker
By Ragnarok.Cornmaker 2013-09-28 17:19:51
Link | Citer | R

tyvm for ur help so far...gonna play around a bit and see if it works...also gonna check if the problem still exists when i get my new pc with new gc...
it's just weird b/c i only changed the tv and not the gc and now this stuff happens...

the tv has 3x hdmi input(hdmi(arc),hdmi,hdmi(mhl)), switched around a bit but nothing changed...

well ty anyways! <3
 Bismarck.Osaia
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Osaia
By Bismarck.Osaia 2013-09-28 17:32:23
Link | Citer | R

No fix for it. When the TV shuts off the graphics card does a mode switch (from hdmi) to another mode such as vga. Does this on every pc that runs hdmi with this game. Samsung 51" and radon 6870, my Toshiba laptop running the game on a TV, my Samsung laptop running the game on TV thru hdmi. Graphic mode switches will cause this issue always. Try going from aero to basic mode on your machine while running the game. Same outcome.
By Kyler 2013-09-28 17:36:56
Link | Citer | R

Same problem happens when trying to use screen sharing or VNC clients to control the game remotely. I used to be able to connect with my ipad or phone or another computer and move stuff around from work. Haven't been able to do that since I stopped using windows xp however. It does the same thing (screen blink) and crashes POL.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1900 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Siccmade
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2018-12-11 11:40:51
Link | Citer | R

Hey folks, super necro here but it's pretty much my exact question.

When I first came back to the game I did a bunch of reading and didn't see any fixes but all the posts were from 2008-2015~ on various forums.

I just changed around the Media Room and once again got irritated that I can't just switch HDMI inputs from PC to PS4, etc. without crashing the game.

Curious if there has been any progress in finding a workaround or a straight up solution that won't crash XI?

I'm running Windows 7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 card on a Samsung 4k TV with no VGA input.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-12-11 11:45:12
Link | Citer | R

use Dgvoodoo

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/50992/ffxi-finally-in-high-quality-graphics
 Sylph.Siccmade
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2018-12-11 12:35:10
Link | Citer | R

***, I run 3 characters on the same machine and performancewise everything is great. After looking through 20 pages of issues in that thread I feel like I'd fk something up, lol.

Thanks though!
By Jetackuu 2018-12-11 12:49:23
Link | Citer | R

Monitor detection is a feature in modern monitors and display cards, you MAY be able to disable it in your driver's configuration, but the only success I've read about was with an AMD card and doing a reghack and unfortunately I can't find that thread at the moment.

tl;dr it's a feature, buy another screen that you don't disconnect/turn off, or run dgvoodoo (I like it just that it lets me lock my computer without crashing the game).
 Bahamut.Nebohh
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kealohaa
By Bahamut.Nebohh 2018-12-11 12:53:23
Link | Citer | R

AFAIK, whenever there’s a resolution change involving graphics display, I believe this is something that’s always known to be a problem and can cause the game to crash.
By Jetackuu 2018-12-11 13:04:44
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, whenever you lose "fullscreen" due to anything the game will crash. Only way around it is to either virtualize the graphics card or the game instance. Dgvoodoo handles the former and is quite easy when it works.
By Draylo 2018-12-11 14:12:51
Link | Citer | R

I had the same issue and Dgvoodoo did fix it but it made some things a little wonky graphics wise like some lines randomly but I'm sure its just my settings.
By Jetackuu 2018-12-11 14:34:56
Link | Citer | R

Eh, I get random crashes with it, or at least I was. It's not something I'd use unless you have a half decent video card.
By Sidiov 2018-12-11 15:01:52
Link | Citer | R

Just to note, you can fix the resolution changes by regedit.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
You'll see directories for each monitor and some virtual monitors, you can either try to determine which is which or just change them all. (The offline one is probably called "MSNILSIMULATED...")

Under that monitor directory is a 00 directory.

Inside that you will see two Keys PrimSurfSize.cx and PrimSurfSize.cy. For the normal configured monitory those will be set to your native resolution. For other/virtual monitors it will be something like 1024x768. Simply change the values to your native resolution (be careful to select decimal when you edit).

After a restart you should be able to power off/on monitors and go into sleep mode without any resizing.
By Sidiov 2018-12-11 15:02:24
Link | Citer | R

Sidiov said: »
Just to note, you can fix the resolution changes by regedit.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration
You'll see directories for each monitor and some virtual monitors, you can either try to determine which is which or just change them all. (The offline one is probably called "MSNILSIMULATED...")

Under that monitor directory is a 00 directory.

Inside that you will see two Keys PrimSurfSize.cx and PrimSurfSize.cy. For the normal configured monitory those will be set to your native resolution. For other/virtual monitors it will be something like 1024x768. Simply change the values to your native resolution (be careful to select decimal when you edit).

After a restart you should be able to power off/on monitors and go into sleep mode without any resizing.

*Also note you'll still need dgvoodoo2 for ffxi to not crash during the change to simulated monitors.
By Draylo 2018-12-11 15:25:40
Link | Citer | R

Is there a problem that effects screenshots? Some reason I can't take one
 Ragnarok.Galiber
user: Galiber
By Ragnarok.Galiber 2018-12-11 15:50:53
Link | Citer | R

I solved the turning off the TV issue by putting the HDMI in a DVI/HDMI port on the TV, all other ones crash game when I turn it off, that one leaves it on.
By Jetackuu 2018-12-11 17:56:24
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
Is there a problem that effects screenshots? Some reason I can't take one

I believe so, has to do with voodoo. I can't remember the fix for it.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2018-12-11 19:03:43
Link | Citer | R

It does that for me on Win 7, but not Win10.
 Bismarck.Chasuro
user: Chasuro
By Bismarck.Chasuro 2018-12-11 19:04:25
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Galiber said: »
I solved the turning off the TV issue by putting the HDMI in a DVI/HDMI port on the TV, all other ones crash game when I turn it off, that one leaves it on.
I do that, but it still crashes for me on Win 7. No issues on Win 10 though.
By Jetackuu 2018-12-11 20:23:29
Link | Citer | R

Then it's a driver issue.