Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXIV » General » FF14 FPS
FF14 FPS
First Page 2
By Mithril20 2013-08-19 09:37:30
Link | Citer | R

Was wondering what kind of GPU everyone had and what kind of FPS you experience in most areas? I'm running a 7950 OC (1000mhz) 116-120 FPS outside, my FPS usually dips down to 64 FPS in really crowded areas 64-94 in towns, kind of curious if ppl have the samething happen. This is just the beta too, servers are only going to get even more packed :o.
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2013-08-19 13:01:47
Link | Citer | R

Oipen beta will have more people than pay, so you won't have to worry. As for drops in fps, I had major ones too, alot worse than I should have
 Leviathan.Cocien
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Cocien
By Leviathan.Cocien 2013-08-19 15:01:36
Link | Citer | R

You're going to get a drop like that beta or no beta. You won't notice it on your card without an FPS monitor but those with weaker cards definitely will. I had no issues with my 680 but my gf's comp running two 6850s would stutter in high volume areas with the frame rates dropped.
 Cerberus.Vanidin
Serveur: Cerberus
user: vanicent
By Cerberus.Vanidin 2013-08-19 15:45:28
Link | Citer | R

I've got a GTX660 paired with an I5 3570K and played smoothly at 1080p and maximum graphics. Cities could sometimes drop some depending on how many people were milling about but it was never choppy.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Serveur: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-08-19 15:49:19
Link | Citer | R

I have a 7870Ghz Edition, running at 1100, did maximum with 60fps cap and game ran smoothly always at 60fps except for a few areas where it would dip to 45~50. could barely tell though without fraps on.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-19 16:09:10
Link | Citer | R

I have a gtx 670 ftw and in high populated areas i would sometimes get "lag" i figured it to be server related not gpu.. am i wrong? Also sometimes at random it seemed, my screen would go black for a few seconds and then pop back up. happened maybe 3-5 times during beta weekend. is this gpu?
By Balias 2013-08-19 16:09:21
Link | Citer | R

I have the game installed on a 14" Razer Blade laptop and the game flys. My cpu is the haswell i7-4702HQ, 8GB sdram, Nvidia GTX 765M graphics chip. Didn't think to run fraps or any other app to see fps, I noticed no slow downs at all on the brief amount of play time. Took me almost 2 days to download the game, even though I have legacy status, I didn't find out about phase 4 until Saturday morning, my max download speed was 10-24kbs/sec.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-19 16:11:33
Link | Citer | R

Also did they fix the SLI issue? if so i might go SLI instead of upgrading to a 770
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-08-19 16:37:19
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
Also did they fix the SLI issue? if so i might go SLI instead of upgrading to a 770

i would upgrade over SLI imho.
 Sylph.Saikou
Serveur: Sylph
user: Saikou
By Sylph.Saikou 2013-08-19 16:48:32
Link | Citer | R

Game ran perfectly fine on my 670 ftw. No issues to report except I couldn't get to excalibur. :| If you can play 60+ FPS why even worry. :o
 Siren.Knivesz
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Knivesz 2013-08-19 16:50:53
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »

My pc runs with two GTX 670 graphics card and I had no issues running the beta over the weekend at max settings. The requirements to run this game at max settings is fairly lax now so unless you're some hardcore computer gaming junky I wouldn't worry too much about spending ridiculous amounts of money on a graphics card.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-19 18:11:34
Link | Citer | R

Was just wondering really why my screen would sometimes go black. could it be a hiccup in my connection to the server? or gpu? i might have to upgrade the drivers
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-08-19 19:48:00
Link | Citer | R

Was just wondering really why my screen would sometimes go black. could it be a hiccup in my connection to the server? or gpu? i might have to upgrade the drivers
At what point is it going black? There is only 2 times your screen should ever go black. Zoning(which shouldn't ever be totally black, just mostly) and if you have full screen enabled and tab out.

Server issues, disconnects and such will never make your screen go black. If it's just a temp disconnect and it manages to re-establish a connection, it'll just lag really bad but visually the only sign you'll see is the sudden change in player/mob positions and the little connection indicator thing which I totally forget what it looks like in 14.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-19 20:16:06
Link | Citer | R

sometimes when im in a sanctuary.. or even just playing. guess it was my gpu
 Fairy.Ghaleon
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-08-19 21:11:03
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Knivesz said: »
Fairy.Ghaleon said: »

My pc runs with two GTX 670 graphics card and I had no issues running the beta over the weekend at max settings. The requirements to run this game at max settings is fairly lax now so unless you're some hardcore computer gaming junky I wouldn't worry too much about spending ridiculous amounts of money on a graphics card.

Your logic is pretty flawed.

A GTX 770 is around 400$

A GTX 670 is around 300$

assuming he can resell his current 670 to make up for total cost, (let's just go with half for now, say a quick sell on craigslist.)

that's 150$, so it would be 250$ for a brand new 770, where a 2nd 670 would be 300$, these numbers are heavily skewed already, because I'm fairly confident you can sell even a used 670 for 200$+

Getting a 2nd 670 is around 300$, so either way he's spending money, but as it turns out, upgrading is cheaper if you can resell your current card.

Now on to my opinions of the matter on why i think SLI isn't worth it.

A)Future-Proofing; you are already starting off a generation behind, when "upgrading" you generally want some form of futureproofing for yourself, I mean, how silly are you going to feel for spending the money on that "SLI upgrade" when 3months later the new new (2 gens now) better card comes out and it has it's own built in processor and is literally 3x better than your SLI setup; unless you like to shell out the money for an upgrade regularly, It just isn't worth it, which brings me to my next point;

B) unless you are buying 2 cards when you do a build, most people always tend to say "Maybe I'll get a 2nd card later on when the price drops" except the problem with that is, most people tend to not, because by the time they are ready to go SLI and make that upgrade, a newer faster stronger better card is already out on the market (ie; current situation).

C) Performance; running SLI is fun and all, but the performance gains aren't usually worth it for most people, Stuttering can happen and usually two+ cards run into scaling and other problems, not to mention that many games don't even fully support SLI so the performance increases can vary greatly, compared to a single card

D) Other Factors; And rather than just run a single much more powerful card, SLI brings in a slew of other factors for your build, just by using a 2nd card. (ex; Does my case have room? does my mobo have enough slots? are the slots the correct speed? Will my PSU handle a 2nd card? Will i have heating issues after i add a 2nd card? etc)

TLDR; If you build your computer to run SLI (building it with running 2 cards from the start), then by all means have at it. If any of those questions are unanswered, I suggest sticking to a single and better card.

Sorry i had to spell it out but yeah, This is just stuff from my own personal experience and knowledge, I've been building computers pretty regularly for the last 2years so D:

I would also like to add, that I'm not saying SLI isn't worth doing if you are able to, because it does add Some performance gains; I'm just saying Usually not worth it over a Single better card. Which for anybody who is on a budget, means you.
 Asura.Teleniel
Serveur: Asura
user: Teleniel
By Asura.Teleniel 2013-08-19 21:24:13
Link | Citer | R

Honestly I wonder about people that are having serious problems with XIV:ARR....

CPU: Pentium D 2.8Ghz
Graphics Card: Nvidea 9800 GT

anyone who complains that they only have 50FPS I just wonder what it is you're trying to see? Would I like an upgrade? sure... but I don't have the money and what money I do have I'd rather spend playing that saving for an upgrade to play (months) later.

I will say I had some serious issues in towns and around Aetherites in 1.0 (seriously getting through auto-gates was a PAIN), and I notice significant issues (I don't watch numbers) with being able to move away after using Return. However gameplay in dungeons, during FATEs and even running around in the open world I can't say that even my 10 year old system has any problems.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-08-19 21:34:06
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Teleniel said: »
Honestly I wonder about people that are having serious problems with XIV:ARR....

anyone who complains that they only have 50FPS I just wonder what it is you're trying to see? Would I like an upgrade? sure... but I don't have the money and what money I do have I'd rather spend playing that saving for an upgrade to play (months) later.

I will say I had some serious issues in towns and around Aetherites in 1.0 (seriously getting through auto-gates was a PAIN), and I notice significant issues (I don't watch numbers) with being able to move away after using Return. However gameplay in dungeons, during FATEs and even running around in the open world I can't say that even my 10 year old system has any problems.

Sure, if you set your settings low enough, the minimum requirements are fine... But it would suck horribly to play that way. The game looks amazing and plays very smooth if you have the hardware to back it up. Obviously, if you try to set your settings too high and have shitty hardware or other system problems it's going to lag and be a terribad experience.

Sounds like it. If you start getting graphical artifacts or other issues, you may keep an eye on your cpu/gpu temps. If it's getting too high be sure your fans and heatsink fans are clear of dust and functioning.
 Siren.Knivesz
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Knivesz 2013-08-19 21:43:12
Link | Citer | R

I actually agree with all this posted in the spoiler but it sounds like you missed my point. I never endorsed SLI over a single graphics card nor vice versa. My point was only that this game is not so demanding that you need to worry about having absolutely top notch graphics cards like the exaggerated $800 graphics card a friend of mine bragged about buying (which I find to be absolutely ridiculous considering he openly admits the only thing he will play on his pc is 14). If you have two graphics cards using SLI it will work fine, you don't necessarily need to upgrade to stronger cards just to play the game. However if, as Ghaleon said, you can find buyers for the two cards that will pay you enough for the both of them combined to cover the costs of the single stronger card than by all means go right ahead.

Personally I just bought a new pc this year and it came with the two cards I mentioned previously. I could sell them individually yeah and buy a stronger card but it turned out it ran the game just fine so I kept em since 14 is basically the only game I'll be playing on my pc and I didn't wanna be bothered finding buyers for the cards. Because of that I don't generally worry about future proofing, especially since I know I am gonna end up buying a new pc again anyway 3 yrs from now since I always do. Like I said before it depends on how much gaming (aside from 14) you actually do on your computer.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-20 00:20:04
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Asura.Teleniel said: »

Sure, if you set your settings low enough, the minimum requirements are fine... But it would suck horribly to play that way. The game looks amazing and plays very smooth if you have the hardware to back it up. Obviously, if you try to set your settings too high and have shitty hardware or other system problems it's going to lag and be a terribad experience.

Sounds like it. If you start getting graphical artifacts or other issues, you may keep an eye on your cpu/gpu temps. If it's getting too high be sure your fans and heatsink fans are clear of dust and functioning.

gpu temps never got out of the 60s C. And my cpu never went above 45C

I was also able to run CIV 5 at the same time for 30 mins no problem and no heating issues. Was surprising. Though I will say that I do have my tv hooked up to my computer and it is set to duplicate the main screen onto my tv. could this be what is causing the occasional glitch?
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-20 00:21:53
Link | Citer | R

I actually agree with all this posted in the spoiler but it sounds like you missed my point. I never endorsed SLI over a single graphics card nor vice versa. My point was only that this game is not so demanding that you need to worry about having absolutely top notch graphics cards like the exaggerated $800 graphics card a friend of mine bragged about buying (which I find to be absolutely ridiculous considering he openly admits the only thing he will play on his pc is 14). If you have two graphics cards using SLI it will work fine, you don't necessarily need to upgrade to stronger cards just to play the game. However if, as Ghaleon said, you can find buyers for the two cards that will pay you enough for the both of them combined to cover the costs of the single stronger card than by all means go right ahead.

Personally I just bought a new pc this year and it came with the two cards I mentioned previously. I could sell them individually yeah and buy a stronger card but it turned out it ran the game just fine so I kept em since 14 is basically the only game I'll be playing on my pc and I didn't wanna be bothered finding buyers for the cards. Because of that I don't generally worry about future proofing, especially since I know I am gonna end up buying a new pc again anyway 3 yrs from now since I always do. Like I said before it depends on how much gaming (aside from 14) you actually do on your computer.

Still have my second gtx 670 ftw 2gb in the box unopened... ill put it up on ebay and when it sells ill upgrade to the 770. just because its basically the same price. especially after i sell my used one.
[+]
 Fenrir.Mithril
user: Mithril20
By Fenrir.Mithril 2013-08-20 04:14:33
Link | Citer | R

For those having lag issues I'd suggest uncapping your FPS if you haven't already. That fixed the problem for me :x, my FPS would dip down to 34 FPS in some areas in town when I had the FPS capped @ 60. When I uncapped it It would be 64-90 FPS in town and 120-131 FPS outside ^^ fixed the lag issue for me. Currently running my 7950 at 7970 level's. I'm positive a 670 and 770 would do really well uncapped aswell.

Edit: Would like to add when I had it capped @ 60 FPS I looked at my gpu monitor and it was only using 25% of my GPU. Uncapped it, was using 90% so I'd imagine that was the problem.
[+]
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-20 11:24:59
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Mithril said: »
For those having lag issues I'd suggest uncapping your FPS if you haven't already. That fixed the problem for me :x, my FPS would dip down to 34 FPS in some areas in town when I had the FPS capped @ 60. When I uncapped it It would be 64-90 FPS in town and 120-131 FPS outside ^^ fixed the lag issue for me. Currently running my 7950 at 7970 level's. I'm positive a 670 and 770 would do really well uncapped aswell.

Edit: Would like to add when I had it capped @ 60 FPS I looked at my gpu monitor and it was only using 25% of my GPU. Uncapped it, was using 90% so I'd imagine that was the problem.

I will look into this. My gpu fan never got faster and never went above like 65C max. So I'll change it and see how that goes. I assume you can just adjust that in config/graphics right?
 Sylph.Saikou
Serveur: Sylph
user: Saikou
By Sylph.Saikou 2013-08-20 19:24:22
Link | Citer | R

Still have my second gtx 670 ftw 2gb in the box unopened... ill put it up on ebay and when it sells ill upgrade to the 770. just because its basically the same price. especially after i sell my used one.

If you decide to put it on ebay or whatever you decide to do let me know. :o Potential customer.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2013-08-20 19:43:22
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Saikou said: »

If you decide to put it on ebay or whatever you decide to do let me know. :o Potential customer.

Already did. might need to redo it because i put it up for 350. though it does already have ppl watching it..
 Bahamut.Bojack
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-08-20 22:29:18
Link | Citer | R

I have a pretty bad problem with lag in populated areas. I don't have anything fancy, just a 550Ti with an AMD FX-4100 Quad Core Processor. 3.6 GHz, 8GB Ram. I did the benchmark on Standard settings and got between 4-5k. I figured it would let me run the game on Standard. I could't...so I turned EVERYTHING in the settings down as low as everything could go and it really didn't make a difference. It was so bad in town and in populated areas outside that it's almost no fun to play. I wish there was a way to at least make it tolerable. I don't have the money to buy a 660 or 670 right now.
 Ragnarok.Titox
user: Titox
By Ragnarok.Titox 2013-08-21 03:59:24
Link | Citer | R

I am thinking of buying
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130825

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130910

Currently i am using 550Ti and I have no plan on Overclocking....but I am trying to save a few bucks as possible BUT all I care is too run FF14ARR in max settings and 1920x1080 resolution with Max fps as possible

So I go with the 660 one or 650Ti? Any opinion can help a lot ^_^

P.S. maybe in a future play random PC games like Saint Row 4 or Tomb Raider when it gets more cheaper & etc
 Fenrir.Mithril
user: Mithril20
By Fenrir.Mithril 2013-08-21 04:58:38
Link | Citer | R

I'd suggest getting the 660 and Overclocking it honestly. Regardless what the benchmark says, dont think anyone expected to have 10K+ ppl per server. Taking that into account. Even if it says 7K+ score I'm not so sure you'd be able to run the game on Max without lag with the server populations being the way they are, also not sure if they'd still let more ppl on each server or make new ones. I had a 7850 overclocked to 7870 levels before which was on par with a stock 660. During phase 2 and 3 there weren't that many people, so my FPS would ever dip below 60 in towns. Now I'm not so sure honestly lol. Get the 660 and OC it to 660Ti levels and you should be good to go on max settings. Like I posted earlier I now have a 7950 Boost and OCed it to 7970 levels and I still dip down to 64 FPS in some parts of town, other than that I'm usually 90 FPS in towns and 120-131 FPS outside.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Titox
By Ragnarok.Titox 2013-08-21 05:16:38
Link | Citer | R

I'd suggest getting the 660 and Overclocking it honestly. Regardless what the benchmark says, dont think anyone expected to have 10K+ ppl per server. Taking that into account. Even if it says 7K+ score you'd be able to run the game on Max np, I'm not so sure now with the worlds being as packed as they are, also not sure if they'd still let more ppl on each server or make new ones. I had a 7850 overclocked to 7870 levels before which was on par with a stock 660. During phase 2 and 3 there weren't that many people, so my FPS would ever dip below 60 in towns. Now I'm not so sure honestly lol. Get the 660 and OC it to 660Ti levels and you should be good to go on max settings. Like I posted earlier I currently have a 7950 Boost and OCed it to 7970 levels and I still dip down to 64 FPS in some parts of town, other than that I'm usually 90 FPS in towns and 120-131 FPS outside.

Thank you for information! ^^ I really appreciate it
 Bahamut.Bojack
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2013-08-21 12:50:07
Link | Citer | R

How did you uncap the FPS? Is it something within the game, or within your GPU's control panel?

Also I'm looking to get a new Video Card (currently 550ti with terrible lag in XIV) but I'm not sure what I should go with. My MOBO is this, and I've been looking at 650/660s but they're all PCI-e 3.0 and GDDR5...I don't know if all that stuff is compatible lol.
 Ragnarok.Titox
By Ragnarok.Titox 2013-08-21 16:26:27
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bojack said: »

How did you uncap the FPS? Is it something within the game, or within your GPU's control panel?

Also I'm looking to get a new Video Card (currently 550ti with terrible lag in XIV) but I'm not sure what I should go with. My MOBO is this, and I've been looking at 650/660s but they're all PCI-e 3.0 and GDDR5...I don't know if all that stuff is compatible lol.

Yes it will work and there is not difference in performance from what i read online from different sites but I haven't tested it myself though
First Page 2