Gearing SAM for NNI
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Jezzus
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: L30x
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-12 13:20:04
Link | Citer | R

So i want to get thaumas gear for my ninja and thief but I am told these jobs arn't good for NNI. I have SAM99 but I really havn't geared my SAM well yet. Looking for some opinions on what is to be expected of SAM gear/weapon-wise.

I'm pretty much starting from square one on gear. I have mostly AF3 +1, with one +2, but base body.

As for a GK i've been sporting a Kikugosaku which i'm positive needs to get replaced. I heard Masamune isn't all that good and i see SAMs with it and they still use Tachi: Shoha. I was thinking the TP bonus Kantonotachi would be nice. I do understand there is more dmg and +str on the Masamune though but is it that big of a difference compared to WSing as if I had +100tp?

I'm not looking to be a main SAM. I'm looking to build a decent SAM suitable for NNI. Your help with this is appreciated.
 Leviathan.Vindeel
Serveur: Leviathan
user: vindeel
By Leviathan.Vindeel 2013-04-12 13:39:30
Link | Citer | R

The easiest setup i can think off for sam in NNi would be using the Draca couse polearm with 5/5 stardiver.
Its easy to 5hit and a WSset with str and element gorget/waist do good damage in NNi.

Masamune and the tpbonus GK do fine too in NNi. They prob close in dmg since its hard to keep masamune's aftermath up there. Fudo>fudo>light is nice sometimes though when running around alone. Stardiver>stardiver gives darkness.
[+]
 Bismarck.Llewelyn
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Llewelyn
By Bismarck.Llewelyn 2013-04-12 14:12:16
Link | Citer | R

Too bad SAM didn't get a higher damage polearm from SoA. :(
 Leviathan.Vindeel
By Leviathan.Vindeel 2013-04-12 14:29:01
Link | Citer | R

yeah :(
its about time now. Draca couse was released at 85cap
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Serveur: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-04-12 14:35:39
Link | Citer | R

I have quite a few NNI pieces on my mule, going only as SAM.
Only af3+2 pieces he has is head\body\legs, and not really anything fancy at all.
Get a 5hit with polearm, 5\5 stardiver, get some generic decent STR gear and Mekira-oto with ws gorget\belt and you'll do just fine.
If you have room for 5\5 Shoha aswell, it's not a bad idea to keep a GKT on you for bosses, incase your berserk is down.(Stardiver can do pretty crappy dmg on bosses without berserk up, depending on gear)
However, I managed without Shoha.
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-04-12 14:39:31
Link | Citer | R

Can gear Stardiver really easily now with Karieyh gear. Most of this you can get really easily or likely already have.

ItemSet 296551

ItemSet 296546
[+]
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-12 15:04:43
Link | Citer | R

Wow polearm never occurred to me. I'm surprised tbh.

Kvazz, if I swap to GK for bosses should i go with the magian GK i was talking about?

As for the gear set Austar, it looks pretty good though i do not have the Karieyh gear yet. I have not touched much end game yet unfortunately... What would you suggest for a TP set?

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

Edit: Oh i just looked up the Karieyh and I see its SoA. Nice that shouldn't be too hard to buy.
 Lakshmi.Watusa
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2013-04-12 15:07:48
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Vindeel said: »
The easiest setup i can think off for sam in NNi would be using the Draca couse polearm with 5/5 stardiver.
Its easy to 5hit and a WSset with str and element gorget/waist do good damage in NNi.

Masamune and the tpbonus GK do fine too in NNi. They prob close in dmg since its hard to keep masamune's aftermath up there. Fudo>fudo>light is nice sometimes though when running around alone. Stardiver>stardiver gives darkness.

A polearm SAM is better than Masa85/TP Bonus in NNI? I've been trying to gear my SAM for NNI as well, didn't know I could just build a polearm set. How does 95Amano compare?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-04-12 15:10:17
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Jezzus said: »
Wow polearm never occurred to me. I'm surprised tbh.

Kvazz, if I swap to GK for bosses should i go with the magian GK i was talking about?

As for the gear set Austar, it looks pretty good though i do not have the Karieyh gear yet. I have not touched much end game yet unfortunately... What would you suggest for a TP set?

Thanks for the quick responses everyone.

Edit: Oh i just looked up the Karieyh and I see its SoA. Nice that shouldn't be too hard to buy.

Tonamonari is a great new GKT you can buy, that seems better than TP Bonus magian.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-12 15:18:02
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Watusa said: »

A polearm SAM is better than Masa85/TP Bonus in NNI? I've been trying to gear my SAM for NNI as well, didn't know I could just build a polearm set. How does 95Amano compare?

I've seen Stardiver SAM do some serious damage, but I find this hard to believe. Without Masamune/Amano, Stardiver is probably a serious option, but I found Fudo doing significantly more damage than Shoha outside of bosses or the occasional 5-8 hit Shoha.

Masamune is in no way a bad GKT, at lvl99 (granted thats not really within reach for most) it dances back and forth as the best with Mythic.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-04-12 15:23:07
Link | Citer | R

I had Amano 95 when I did Nyzul, never used it past the first run. Stardiver is miles above in there, it's unfair.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-12 15:30:00
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Tonamonari is a great new GKT you can buy, that seems better than TP Bonus magian.

Iteme searched it and it doesn't seem to have sale history yet. Definitely interested and I'll have to run to the AH in a little to check out the price on these. From the comments it seems its only 50% tp bonus but a little of everything is nice.

Odin.Jassik said: »
I've seen Stardiver SAM do some serious damage, but I find this hard to believe. Without Masamune/Amano, Stardiver is probably a serious option, but I found Fudo doing significantly more damage than Shoha outside of bosses or the occasional 5-8 hit Shoha.

Masamune is in no way a bad GKT, at lvl99 (granted thats not really within reach for most) it dances back and forth as the best with Mythic.

I'm just looking for a cheap decent way to get myself into NNI not totally pimp out my SAM.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2013-04-12 15:33:38
Link | Citer | R

It sells for 3m on Cerb atm
 Lakshmi.Watusa
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2013-04-12 15:34:57
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

I had Amano 95 when I did Nyzul, never used it past the first run. Stardiver is miles above in there, it's unfair.
Well crap, I was going to build one mainly to make NNI go easier lol...
 Leviathan.Vindeel
By Leviathan.Vindeel 2013-04-12 15:39:30
Link | Citer | R

OP: Since you dont wanna be too serious about sam, just get a GK thats easy to get. The reason polearm might not be as good on bosses, is because you maybe wont cap your attack on them. Shoha alone will fix that for you.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-12 16:36:43
Link | Citer | R

OP: Since you dont wanna be too serious about sam, just get a GK thats easy to get. The reason polearm might not be as good on bosses, is because you maybe wont cap your attack on them. Shoha alone will fix that for you.

Yeah I'm more than happy to skill up polearm and merit Stardiver for the fodder and pull out the GK for bosses. A lot easier than building a Masa like i was fearing. For the GK think i can get away with kikugosaku? :X
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-12 16:47:17
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I'm more than happy to skill up polearm and merit Stardiver for the fodder and pull out the GK for bosses. A lot easier than building a Masa like i was fearing. For the GK think i can get away with kikugosaku? :X

Thats relitive, if you're gearing Stardiver right, Kiku probably isn't going to beat it much, 480 delay would be nice, if there was a way to functionally 4 hit it, and while 111 base dmg and the other stats aren't "bad", you're really better off just biting the bullet and either buying that new AH weapon or building a kanto.
 Ramuh.Austar
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-04-12 16:47:59
Link | Citer | R

Just stardiver the boss too, not that big of a deal.
[+]
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-12 16:57:38
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Austar said: »
Just stardiver the boss too, not that big of a deal.

Yeah ok, i'll fully merit polearm for the little extra. thanks for the tp set edit.
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Serveur: Bahamut
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2013-04-15 13:36:06
Link | Citer | R

Would quint spear be bad for the non boss floors? I tried it once in dynamis and it was doing pretty decent damage..
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-17 21:00:17
Link | Citer | R

Stardiver>stardiver gives darkness.

stardiver>stardiver = nothing

found out on my own the hard way. so far it seems like this polearm SAM idea is not gonna fly.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-17 23:35:33
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Greyfawkz said: »
Would quint spear be bad for the non boss floors? I tried it once in dynamis and it was doing pretty decent damage..

Is quint a bad idea? Yes, yes it is. Quint is for skilling and staggers.
[+]
 Leviathan.Vindeel
By Leviathan.Vindeel 2013-04-18 00:44:28
Link | Citer | R

Stardiver>stardiver gives darkness.

stardiver>stardiver = nothing

found out on my own the hard way. so far it seems like this polearm SAM idea is not gonna fly.

Ew sorry. Seems i remembered wrong. It did give darkness with konzen right? Its been a while since i played with it.

Polearm/stardiver is still good though, even without the skillchain damage.
 Cerberus.Ethics
user: zerohoax
By Cerberus.Ethics 2013-04-18 01:46:23
Link | Citer | R

Yeah it does give darkness with Konzen-Ittai, but as we've already established not with itself.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-18 02:18:05
Link | Citer | R

Ew sorry. Seems i remembered wrong. It did give darkness with konzen right? Its been a while since i played with it.

Polearm/stardiver is still good though, even without the skillchain damage.

Yeah w/ konzen it does darkness. So far from what i've caught, quint spear equipped and using konzen and hagakure ive gotten stardiver up too 7.8k total (thats in aby) but still havent built my WS set, touching up TP set first.

If stardiver>stardiver did darkness it would be incredible. especially with quint spear which usually builds me back to 100 tp within skill chain window.

Odin.Jassik said: »
Is quint a bad idea? Yes, yes it is. Quint is for skilling and staggers.

I didn't test the difference between quint and draca after i finished meriting stardiver and polearm skill ups. But before hand i was loving the quint because I WSed that much more often with it and the dmg difference wasnt to noticeable. I was getting over 100tp with 5 hit proc following WS and it should be called occasionally attacks once and up to five times. Perfect piece for skill ups and red proc for certain though.

As for the main topic of discussion. I have not done NNI myself but compared to a 90ukon war friend I do not compare at all so far. Right now i've been averaging 3-3.5k stardivers not including skillchain dmg. This is w/o WS gear and in aby with apoc, vv, and stout arm. Though Quint Spears TP build right now is promising in how often it allows me to WS. Generally in 2-3 attack rounds but sometimes in only 1. The delay is much lower than Draca but also the weapon DMG (which wasnt that noticable when i compared but i guess i may not of put much time into it or its just cause i was in aby). I still have some things to finish before I can say and also would have to actually try it in nyzul but if i cant start pushing the numbers noticeably higher than this im not gonna even bother trying it in NNI.
 Siren.Seiri
Serveur: Siren
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2013-04-18 02:30:31
Link | Citer | R

Quint isn't a dmg option, or at least not a competitive one. You're damage in abyssea really can't be used as an example of how said weapon will perform outside as you won't have issues with attack as you will at times in NNI.

Honestly speaking, if you're aiming to DD on par with even a half rate 90 ukon, you won't manage it with a cheap-option sam. Masamune is fairly easy and quick to get up to 90, and with decent sets this can bring your damage up dramatically.

Will post some sets rq for polearm though.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
Serveur: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2013-04-18 02:39:08
Link | Citer | R

quint is really bad, you can get a 4hit build with draca, why would you want to use anything else?

infact, using draca couse with the increase in ws frequency alone i was parsing ahead of 95 amano depending on buffs in my NNI runs.
 Siren.Seiri
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2013-04-18 02:53:37
Link | Citer | R

TP
ItemSet 297332

5 hit assuming 11 stp in WS (rajas, brutal, karie feet). All easy to obtain (can replace voidwatch drops if need be)

WS
ItemSet 297334

Enough stp to 5 hit, and all fairly easy and quick to obtain.

Nothing in these sets should take you more than 2 weeks to get (assuming you aren't awfully unlucky with VW drops like me for mala) and would put you at an acceptable standard.
 Siren.Fupafighters
By Siren.Fupafighters 2013-04-18 02:58:52
Link | Citer | R

Quint only seems usefull as a red proc weapon. It can be decent in dynamis for ws procs though. Turn it into a 5 hit and it works wonders for procing ws.
 Asura.Jezzus
By Asura.Jezzus 2013-04-18 03:13:00
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »
quint is really bad, you can get a 4hit build with draca, why would you want to use anything else?

Not gonna argue about the quint was just saying it was nice i mentioned that it was maybe outperforming draco cause i was in aby with atmas and buffs.

The delay is much lower than Draca but also the weapon DMG (which wasnt that noticable when i compared but i guess i may not of put much time into it or its just cause i was in aby)

Fairy.Ghaleon said: »
infact, using draca couse with the increase in ws frequency alone i was parsing ahead of 95 amano depending on buffs in my NNI runs.

What buffs? This has been said before and i find it seriously hard to believe. Like with embrava and haste on a 4 hit build which im one peice away from having. thanks to a friend for making the set and helping me get some pieces. I'm not to familiar with SCH. Also how do Amano and Masa stack against each other?
First Page 2 3