Muramasemaru
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Sylph.Mirvana
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-09-06 22:24:23
Link | Citer | R

So got this thing of Uptala the other day. It worth using outside of random situational use of the no-weapon-type-on-WS effect?
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2012-09-07 04:20:55
Link | Citer | R

I read sam in NNI with it is good against flans

thats about all i can think of though
 Odin.Eikechi
Serveur: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-09-07 05:02:50
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn said: »
I read sam in NNI with it is good against flans

thats about all i can think of though

That and Pil's shield, but meh.. Like the OP said, outside of situational crap. The answer would be no. But it glows, so it's funky lol
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-09-07 05:10:51
Link | Citer | R

It's pretty much a Twilight Scythe for SAM.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
Serveur: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-09-07 05:33:16
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

But isn't that only on WS dmg? Though I realize sams obviously WS a lot, I'm simply asking for clarity's sake.
VIP
By Jassik 2012-09-07 09:46:24
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Eikechi said: »

But isn't that only on WS dmg? Though I realize sams obviously WS a lot, I'm simply asking for clarity's sake.

The testing I saw confirmed it was only active on ws, but that is honestly ideal for sam since SE would never give us both and sam heavily favors ws damage.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-09-07 15:25:19
Link | Citer | R

Jassik said: »

The testing I saw confirmed it was only active on ws, but that is honestly ideal for sam since SE would never give us both and sam heavily favors ws damage.
Wouldn't say ideal but it indeed gives SAM an option, whereas other jobs are just stuck being useless. Worth obtaining this GK just because of this imo.
VIP
By Jassik 2012-09-08 14:51:11
Link | Citer | R

Wouldn't say ideal but it indeed gives SAM an option, whereas other jobs are just stuck being useless. Worth obtaining this GK just because of this imo.

Let me rephrase that. Lets say you run into cardinum custard on a magic restricted floor, i'd be happy as a clam for the ability to throw this on and rip him apart instead of spamming 150 dmg shoha's while our chance at 100 ticks away.
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-09-09 05:48:41
Link | Citer | R

NNI was the primary spot I was seeing this as being used on my SAM. Just wondered how it stacked up against say 99 Kanto, 90+ Masa etc. DPS-wise it is a dandy little ratio @ 111/407
VIP
By Jassik 2012-09-09 18:55:26
Link | Citer | R

You would never fulltime this gk over kanto or 90+ masamune. Would throw it on for flans or other pdt heavy mobs and leaders. Delay is too low even with embrava.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-09-09 19:21:14
Link | Citer | R

Seems to be some misinformation here, lowering delay is not bad. Not that this GK is ideal for anything but targets with PDT/invincible.
[+]
 Sylph.Mirvana
By Sylph.Mirvana 2012-09-09 20:01:24
Link | Citer | R

Still gonna .dat swap this over all my other GKTs even if it does turn out to be town-onry.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-09 20:46:32
Link | Citer | R

Pretty sure you can do a straight dat swap on any of them fine. Editing the cities T4 bodies is problematic, however. T3 Jeuno bodies seem to be more mod-friendly.
 Siren.Fupafighters
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-09-09 21:11:54
Link | Citer | R

Any serious sam should look into getting one of these. There are plenty of NMs and situations where mobs have high PDT. And probably will be more in the future.
VIP
By Jassik 2012-09-09 23:30:58
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
Seems to be some misinformation here, lowering delay is not bad. Not that this GK is ideal for anything but targets with PDT/invincible.

The issue is the delay being so low that reliably 5-hitting it even with embrava is problematic, without embrava a 6hit with capped haste causes some comprimises as well. That makes fulltiming it a serious gimp to you DPS, lowers your WS frequency and the base dmg isn't spectacular.

Agreed its something a hardcore SAM should go for, but its as situational as twilight scythe and should never be fulltimed.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2012-09-10 00:25:18
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Dramatica said: »

The issue is the delay being so low that reliably 5-hitting it even with embrava is problematic, without embrava a 6hit with capped haste causes some comprimises as well. That makes fulltiming it a serious gimp to you DPS, lowers your WS frequency and the base dmg isn't spectacular.

Agreed its something a hardcore SAM should go for, but its as situational as twilight scythe and should never be fulltimed.

I don't think anybody here is arguing that it should be fulltimed. Just throw it on a 6 hit build and kill your flans/invincible mobs on it then swap back to masa/amano. The whole purpose of the weapon is just that, flans/invincible, nobody is going to be looking at the sam for "spectacular" damage on those targets. This atleast allows sams to contribute something other than 150 dmg shoha's.
VIP
By Jassik 2012-09-11 00:14:03
Link | Citer | R

Thats the point I was making. I've seen multiple posts on multiple forums trying to 5hit this thing or comparing it to the one from prov, kanta, masa, etc. Either way, definately a useful piece and worth the inventory space. Although, I still carry Soboro for the occasional hobaku spam for weakness hints on weak VWNM's.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-09-11 00:47:13
Link | Citer | R

Thats the point I was making. I've seen multiple posts on multiple forums trying to 5hit this thing or comparing it to the one from prov, kanta, masa, etc.
Mostly people that still ask for a TP set for Kikugosaku and think that this GK is their only alternative. If they don't have at least a Masamune 85 or a Kanto by now, they just don't want one, let them believe.
 Bismarck.Keityan
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2012-09-14 14:38:07
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Mirvana said: »
So got this thing of Uptala the other day. It worth using outside of random situational use of the no-weapon-type-on-WS effect?
FAQ and Summary

Murasamemaru hidden effect is that its weaponskills deals Formless Damage. While some may argue that Formless Damage is actually "Non Elemental Magic Damage", many situations in this game refute this idea and define it as a damage class of its own (see #9). Generally, the uses of this Great Katana is limited to enemies with extremely high Physical Damage Taken Reduction. (When Magic Damage would typically deal more).

Here is a list that I have compiled that specifies these situations.

1. Cardamon Custard (Nyzul Unchartered)
2. Pil/Caturae Shields (VWNM/Prov)(Swap in with Dusty Wings)
3. Elementals (Specifically: Walk of Echos Caturae Chamber)
4. Turtle Type Mobs that don't turtle* (Legion)
5. Raska Stance Mode -50% PDT(Uptala/Hahava/Legion/WOE)
6. Arch Omega/Arch Ultima. Omega: Full damage on 4 Legs mode. Ultima: Full damage on Physical Shield mode.
7. Armed Gears - Takes full damage the entire time.(ZNM)
8. Cerberus + Cerberus Seether - (Salvage II- Bhalfau) (Recommend to use Murasamemaru after reaching 50-60%)
9. Sandworm Absorb mode - (Legion) Mura will deal full weaponskill damage without healing it despite the mob being in Physical or Magical Absorb mode. (Interestingly, it works for the zone boss for Abyssea- Grauberg also)

Commonly asked questions that are tested:
Q. Does using Murasamemaru make ranged weaponskills such as Namas Arrow Formless?
A. No, only the g.kat has the "formless" feature.

Q. Does this work on mobs such as KS99 turtle where it goes into its shell?
A. No, it turns out that anything like the KS99 turtle (turtle mode) as well as Urganite turtle modes such as Melomelo and bibikibay are entirely immune to the effects of Murasamemaru while in their shells.

Q. Is attack/defense taken into consideration for "formless damage"?
A. Yes. If your attack/str is low, your damage will be low. The formless damage only applies to the last -pd part of equations. (Elementals have -75% physical damage taken, so murasamemaru will do 3x damage of a normal weapon of the same damage rating).

(Q.)Are the melee hits also Formless?-
(A.)No! Only the weaponskills will become formless.

(Q)"At what point will the advantages of an Empyrean/Relic/Mythic weapon outweigh the benefits of formless WS?"

~25% DT. Any DT higher than that, Murasamemaru will win. Any lower, the advantages is obscured versus any of the other 3 SAM end game options.

If there are any other mobs that you'd like me to test, feel free to let me know.

Edited Feb 21: Added more mobs that it is effective against.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-09-14 15:01:12
Link | Citer | R

So the effect is'nt identical to how Twilight scythe works?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-14 15:09:45
Link | Citer | R

Temperance's effect is essentially a rotating set of resistances to a specific physical damage type, so Muresamemaru should work against it. It should also bypass Invincible, and likely Fortitude as well.
 Bismarck.Keityan
user: Keichan
By Bismarck.Keityan 2012-09-14 15:18:10
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said: »
Would it work on a pld mob using their 2 hour? or is that too much like urganites/adamantoise

I'm under the assumption that PLD mob 2 hour is -100% pdt. However, I will test that for you the next time I encounter a PLD mob. I would like to say "yes" for the time being.

Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
So the effect is'nt identical to how Twilight scythe works?

I am 99% sure that the two weapons functions the same way. But if they are identical in their applications, they are not. (Unsureness only comes along when I expect it to work on turtled turtles, but it did not-- and no Twilight Data to confirm this)

The main difference is that Murasamemaru can be used in instances where it would not be beneficial for a Twilight Scythe to be used (and vice versa). Twilight Scythe is clearly better for my above examples such as Arch Ultima where the shield would prevent you entirely from doing any damage (even TP up to a WS).

Because of the common damage outputs of 60%WSdamage/40%TP to 80%WSDamage/20%TP ratio that heavy DD's typically have, you can see that the skewed WS% Damage favors better WS rather than better TP. So in most of those above cases, it's never beneficial to use a Twilight Scythe, but it is always beneficial to use a Murasamemaru.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Temperance's effect is essentially a rotating set of resistances to a specific physical damage type, so Muresamemaru should work against it. It should also bypass Invincible, and likely Fortitude as well.

Yeah, I total agree with this. I wanted to test it for certain because going in the KS99, I was certain that it was going to work, but it didn't. I guess the thing I learned from this experience is that Twilight Scythe and Murasamemaru is "Bypass -PDT" and not "Bypass -DT".
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-09-14 15:22:47
Link | Citer | R

I can confirm twilight scythe working for 2hrd PLD mobs, so this GKT should aswell then.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-09-14 15:27:13
Link | Citer | R

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure turtles don't have -pdt, just very high defense. From my experiences with requiescat, there is no significant difference; in fact requiescat is much weaker than CDC against them.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-09-14 15:40:20
Link | Citer | R

yeah, their DR isn't entirely from PDT. they may have some, but a majority of it is from immense defense or some other variable separate from physical damage resistance. when they go inside their shell it's different maybe but I doubt it, it probably just amplifies their defense.

if murasamemaru works like requiescat does, which it should, then it works on Invincible, Fortitude, etc.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Narshee
user: Narshee
By Bismarck.Narshee 2012-09-14 15:48:42
Link | Citer | R

Isn't there a cactuar bst pet with 1000 needles? (probably isn't the same as a normal monster but shush)
First Page 2 3 4 5