Is There A Single WoE Weapon Worth Taking To 99?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Walk of Echoes » Is there a single WoE weapon worth taking to 99?
Is there a single WoE weapon worth taking to 99?
 Sylph.Juromaru
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Juromaru
By Sylph.Juromaru 2012-06-21 23:10:11
Link | Citer | R

I was just wondering because I made quite a few when it came out and on the jobs I have that still use them, I wasn't sure if it was worth the ~20M to 99 them(or one at least). I searched around some Job forums here and didn't come up with much, except eliminating the gun as a choice. Also if there isn't one worth 99'ing, I can throw away the coins I still have (lol).
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2012-06-21 23:22:36
Link | Citer | R

There isn't really a single one worth 99ing. However, in terms of building it to 85, the staff might be situationally useful.
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-06-21 23:38:31
Link | Citer | R

Absolutely not.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-06-21 23:46:55
Link | Citer | R

Staff and club are good to make, but taking them beyond 85 would be silly. Yes, the -1.
 Siren.Seiri
Serveur: Siren
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2012-06-22 00:08:08
Link | Citer | R

Can you make the real thing in a practical manner? If yes then only staff/club are worth it for the ease.

If no then a few others become worthwhile. H2h, dagger and great axe are all significantly easier and less annoying to make than their counterparts (significantly weaker too though).

What I will say is: never 99 them. The gil to 99 would BUY you the 80 version of any weapon and likely go a fair way toward 85. 85 weapon > 99 fake. lv90 fake as placeholder? Might have small use.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [75 days between previous and next post]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2012-09-04 17:50:03
Link | Citer | R

I would submit the gun might be worth considering 90ing if you don't really plan on spending a ton of bank on bullets for COR.

Beyond that, I think you could make the case for 90ing a weapon with an Empyrean equivalent coming out of the Tahrongi > Attohwa path.
 Ragnarok.Hotkarl
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: hotkarl
By Ragnarok.Hotkarl 2012-09-04 18:01:49
Link | Citer | R

H2H/gun/bow/great axe are all good subs for HQ version. There not nearly as bad as people make them out to be, they are a great option until you have the means to do HQ.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-09-04 18:28:57
Link | Citer | R

I believe gaxe is beaten out by a STR magian using Upheaval in most situations these days, with similar results for H2H + Shijin. Bow is a poor choice simply because of Last Stand.

I can't really condone 99ing any WoE weapon nowadays given the cost involved though. The only remotely significant one at this point is the gun and it's the single easiest Empyrean to make, building a WoE would be a huge waste of time and gil.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2012-09-04 18:29:53
Link | Citer | R

While they have been hilariously noncommital about it, the devs have identified the stagnancy of WoE as a Problem, so hopefully they'll be able to sweeten the pot to the point that 99ing a WoE weapon will become a little more defensible.

Not really holding my breath, but hey. The gun would imo make a nice 99 choice for COR, and I think the Great Axe would be pretty alright, too; 504 seems a much easier 5-hit than 482 and might soften the blow from a lack of Aftermath.
 Lakshmi.Deathbeckons
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Deathbeckons 2012-09-04 18:32:45
Link | Citer | R

put simply, if you are unwilling to make the actual empyrean, it is technically worth it to 99 a fake.

the argument that the 90-99 cost would pay for a lvl 80 weapon has merit, however some people just dont go for that ***at all. i, personally, hate shouting to buy ***. i cant imagine shouting to buy 50 glavoid shells. that would be just as insufferable and interminable as farming them normally.

i actually made the 99 dagger because i have no intention of forcing myself or my friends to farm tah again for a weapon ill hardly use. yes, i know that fire path dagger is better and cheaper but i simply cannot be bothered. that, and i really like the way rudra's looks.
 Bahamut.Meaikidou
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Meaikidou
By Bahamut.Meaikidou 2012-09-04 19:12:20
Link | Citer | R

i already had 3 emps, so i went and made a Shamash... and compared to an equally geared WAR, the Shamash seems to be better than an 85Ukon(in voidwatch) and i have even done higher avg. ws's and kept hate from a few equally geared 90Ukon owners(in voidwatch). i don't really care if you believe me or not, just adding my experience to this thread.

If you farm dice and residue during JP peak hours, it's not hard to get 10 of each everyday...

but then i made the OaT great sword, and i never take WAR for dmg purposes to VW ever again.

my conclusion, if you don't really care too much for a job, but still want to be decent at it, then a few of the 99WoE's are actually decent.
 Bismarck.Helel
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-09-04 19:12:42
Link | Citer | R

I suppose 99ing the gun would be pretty decent for last stand, not just for wildfire. The elemental trials for gun are pretty lackluster, even the STR ones. The base damage lags far behind the empyrean/relic/WoE options.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2012-09-04 19:29:18
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
I believe gaxe is beaten out by a STR magian using Upheaval in most situations these days, with similar results for H2H + Shijin. Bow is a poor choice simply because of Last Stand.

Of course, the elephant in the room is that you might not be at liberty to take any one of those weapon skills depending on your other jobs. Rev Fists +2 is really the only reason my monk sees the light of day at all anymore.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2012-09-05 08:06:47
Link | Citer | R

I've got three of them to 90 for the hell of it because I do WoE from time to time for fun and wound up having those coins sitting around anyhow. Did bow/dagger/katana because I either already have better weapons (Yoichi, Armageddon for ranger) or I only use the jobs in a utilitarian function and want the Empy drops for other weapons (sword and great axe instead of katana/dagger).

I would never spent the money on taking them to 99.

If WoE became more active during NA playtimes, however, I would consider grinding them out. But that's because I like WoE anyhow and I'm assuming if it was done more, prices would drop and they wouldn't be worth selling.

As it is right now, even if I obtained the items to upgrade them doing WoE myself, I'd sell them for currency or plates/drosses.

If they were as common as riftsand/mirrors, I'd take them to 99 in a heartbeat.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [89 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Drakkan
user: Drakkan
By Ragnarok.Drakkan 2012-12-03 12:42:03
Link | Citer | R

what i like to see is more Devious Die and Liminal Residue drop,
if i have a Pouch of Liminal Residue ,wouldn't make sense to open it and see how many there are? or is this wishfull thinking?
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2012-12-07 23:07:11
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Drakkan said: »

what i like to see is more Devious Die and Liminal Residue drop,
if i have a Pouch of Liminal Residue ,wouldn't make sense to open it and see how many there are? or is this wishfull thinking?

residue is residue, moogle is asking for pouches in this instance if you are playing semantics. Its supposed to be 50/50 shot on residue or die dropping. Die/residues are also fairly plentiful on Ragnarok via bazaar.
By Gimp 2012-12-07 23:30:50
Link | Citer | R

to add since it's on the forum page. staff was nice for soon to be nerfed embrava after you peformed PD regain more mp back.

You could still carry it around if you don't mind using ah tp wings every once in awhile.

In voidwatch it's very hard to eat through mp long enough to warrant using the staff for long periods of time(without outside songs, no favor, using sacrifice torque and negative perp builds for Avatar Dot,etc). If you're using myrkr constantly then it's a long fight you're having but that's a byproduct of other factors. It's really just perk for swapping in for a quick myrkr if you happen to to tap out. In imperfect gear i was getting 1k ~1.2k mp returned for 300tp ; 400 mp or so at 100.

Keep in mind I haven't really brought up the ethers and mp mists for voidwatch either.

HOWEVER

Fantastic solo weapon for summoner that can melee, requires competent staff skill to make the most use of it melee hits/aftermath can be a bit problematic with hate since avatars trail behind in Dps and rely on bps to keep hate. Be mindful of hate problems for resummons.

But really fangs/tusks fall to floor all the time it's really a painless trial if you're very casual about it the ki nms aren't terribly difficult if you wanted to spam those or cleave with a few friends.
 Ragnarok.Flyingsquirrel
By Ragnarok.Flyingsquirrel 2012-12-07 23:52:26
Link | Citer | R

I think WoE weapons are extremely worth it (to 90 stage) given a few reasons.

WoE in my opinion is extremely fun, and I would much rather do that even then abyssea anyday. Coins/pouches of coins drop like candy in beginning flux's, and die and residue the same in the other flux's.

If you like, and casually play a job, might as well make a halfway decent weapon with a fun weaponskill attatched. Sure there isn't an aftermath, but although contrary to popular belief, the game is for fun and doesn't always have to be played to be epeen'd.

When people say don't waste the time/money on a WoE weapon in general, they don't have a positive attitude towards the event, and/or can't be on during JP prime time. It doesn't take much time and the only money you'll lose is the opportunity cost of selling the die/residue.

If you like WoE and you wanna have a new toy, a 90 WoE weapon, or even a 99 (if you WoE everyday for ~1 1/2 weeks) is easily obtainable and makes it more fun to play those jobs you don't gear super hard on.
 Cerberus.Wulfgarson
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wulfgarson 2012-12-08 00:43:34
Link | Citer | R

i have been doing WoE every sunday morning for couple months, and i enjoy it thoroughly,have also made a few good friends from the jp community. u can make some nice gil, mind u drops are very similar to VW, as its all or nothing. after a while i noticed i had 20+ of a few different coin-types and decided it wasnt that far of a stretch to make a WoE weapons. i guess the short answer is ... play to enjoy urself, have fun and GL.
[+]