Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Monk - Gear set help please
Monk - Gear set help please
 Ragnarok.Selsha
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Selsha
By Ragnarok.Selsha 2012-05-16 08:15:05
Link | Citer | R

Hiya, Im usually a bard only person, did my G Horn and left it at that but some things happened recently and long story short im LS'less on a server where I know no one xD

So I decided to train monk as my DD/Solo job and just needed a bit of gear advice at a stand still point on what to do. A Friend of mine helped me gear up not long ago before stuff fell apart, and ive been working off what I had ever since.

Just wondered if there was anything I could improve on, which I could solo? I know Nyzle gear etc way to go but I dont think ill be getting that anytime soon, and is there a weapon besides relic (Dont want to do another) or Empy which I cant get, to go for?

These are my sets any improvement if helpful :)

Currently my Impetus Up set and main TP (As I don't have any other replacement body to start down set)

This would be my down set if the body would drop :/

My current WS set I need alot of help, I know SS is a DEX mod with 5% attack but from the looks myself this set is crap lol

Just an idle set basic atm

Im using the indrik h2h and I have a spellcast made for MNK which im using atm

Thanks for taking the time to read!
[+]
By Geloudia 2012-05-16 08:42:32
Link | Citer | R

just a short question: is Faith torque with this bruiser's earring a good thing?
 Ragnarok.Selsha
By Ragnarok.Selsha 2012-05-16 08:43:48
Link | Citer | R

Geloudia said: »
just a short question: is Faith torque with this bruiser's earring a good thing?
Back at 95 use to push you up a h2h tier but unsure if that's the case at the 99 cap now :S
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rearden
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-05-16 08:45:03
Link | Citer | R

Rajas shaves a hit off your build
 Lakshmi.Rearden
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Churchill
By Lakshmi.Rearden 2012-05-16 08:45:38
Link | Citer | R

It still puts you up a tier, it's still crap.

Neck should be Rancor
 Sylph.Wardeniii
Serveur: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2012-05-16 10:57:02
Link | Citer | R

Selsha:

Short Term Improvements:
*Brawny Adargas: DMG:+35 Delay:+54 STR+7 DEX+5
Physical damage taken -5% LV 99 MNK PUP
-Instant base damage boost over taurine, only loses 1 STR, +5 dex for your WS mod, and a little extra PDT during TP phase never hurt anyone. As far as AH weapons go, these really aren't half bad.

*Rajas Ring: See Rearden's comment above ^

As far as your WS set goes; here is my SS for Attack Uncapped
Attack Uncapped (Would use Myrmex mittens if I had them)
-So, short term goals here include the torque and belt. Athos's feet are also an upgrade over what you are currently using, but are easier to obtain than Thaumas. Kirin's Osode is also an upgrade over Loki's assuming fSTR is uncapped and assuming that sTP+7 doesn't somehow save you a swing for your next WS round (haven't ever calculated if it does).

For more potential gear, here is my attack capped set.
Attack Capped
There is a +5 DEX neck AH option, and also a +5 DEX back AH option that are good to start with since they end up being ~3M cheaper altogether. Artful belt+1 (10 dex), or the NQ artful belt until you get Wanion.

Remember: Capping acc is the #1 priority once you have capped gear haste to 25 or 26% imo. Missed hits can't crit, mised hits don't give TP. After that, for WS's it becomes a combination of choosing which items will provide the most attack/WS mods/STR overall. For instance, when attack is uncapped--justiciar's wins, even though it does not have any DEX on it whatsoever. The only time you will ever likely be capped on acc AND attack are zerg situations with multiple minuets/rolls. If you already know all of this then I certainly apologize if this is coming off as being overly simplistic; I just didn't want to post an "attack uncapped" and an "attack capped" set and leave you to the wind when in reality combinations of gear from both sets are often used depending on the situations.

*The Shantotto Accession legs (-4% PDT, +7 evasion) are a really nice piece to add to your PDT set, and are easy as balls to get.

Long Term Improvements:
*If you refuse to go after relic or emp, then I would recommend the WoE "Victory Smite" H2H.
*Toci's harness, as you stated
*Thaumas: Acquire in this order- Body > Feet > Hands, if you are ONLY concerned with spiral, but if you end up making the WoE smite h2h then I would go Body > Legs > Feet. Of course, if you end up getting the WoE smite h2h then then all of these gear sets become completely different. If you want to see what I'm using for smite--they're in my item sets.

Best of luck, and have fun.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Selsha
By Ragnarok.Selsha 2012-05-16 11:44:38
Link | Citer | R

I hadn't calculated the sTP of the Loki's myself, just didn't think the Kirins would pull ahead of that. Since most I do is solo they set is something nice to work towards thank you :)

Sylph.Wardeniii said: »
Brawny Adargas: DMG:+35 Delay:+54 STR+7 DEX+5
Physical damage taken -5% LV 99 MNK PUP
I was thinking about these but me being the "Eyeballing" type thought that the +25% boost on the Indrik h2h may pull ahead but if other wise I shall pick a pair up :)

The Shantotto Accession legs (-4% PDT, +7 evasion) are a really nice piece to add to your PDT set, and are easy as balls to get.
Totally forgot you could get PDT on these :D

Long Term Improvements:
*If you refuse to go after relic or emp, then I would recommend the WoE "Victory Smite" H2H.
I'm gonna try :) reason i said that because I know no one who would help :/

Thaumas: Acquire in this order- Body > Feet > Hands, if you are ONLY concerned with spiral
This something to work towards if i can find some people :) I know the body is amazing for Imperus down aswell with mask and af2+2 hands so I really wanted it :D

Thank you for the item sets, and advice :) I'm still a monk/DD novice xD I knew my bard but that was about it lol, Ive got the sets bookmarked and ill try my best to match them :)
I've taken a real liking to monk, so decided to do my best to make it the best I can make it :D
[+]
 Siren.Fupafighters
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-05-16 12:08:27
Link | Citer | R

You can make an empyrean without farming the popsets lol. Gil is very nice.
 Ragnarok.Selsha
By Ragnarok.Selsha 2012-05-16 12:16:12
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Fupafighters said: »
Sadly all the gil i get goes into buying gear, I'm ocd with gear, I just save then blow it all xD
[+]
 Siren.Fupafighters
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-05-16 12:18:53
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Selsha said: »
Sadly all the gil i get goes into buying gear, I'm ocd with gear, I just save then blow it all xD
Well if you take mnk seriously, you will want verethregna atleast. Changes your damage alot.
 Ragnarok.Selsha
By Ragnarok.Selsha 2012-05-16 12:23:41
Link | Citer | R

Well if you take mnk seriously, you will want verethregna atleast. Changes your damage alot.
True indeed, Ill start saving then :) wanted the relic but took me a while and alot of work to get the G Horn so I decided that would be my last unless a lucky break though happened xD
[+]
 Siren.Fupafighters
By Siren.Fupafighters 2012-05-16 12:30:51
Link | Citer | R

True indeed, Ill start saving then :) wanted the relic but took me a while and alot of work to get the G Horn so I decided that would be my last unless a lucky break though happened xD
Well you could solo dynamis on mnk/dnc with a tarutaru sash. WOuldn't be so bad. Take like 3 months to make a spharai.
 Odin.Sawtelle
Serveur: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-05-16 13:05:47
Link | Citer | R

Long Term Improvements:

I can not argue against WoE empyreans strongly enough. On my server you are looking at 20-25mil to get them to 99, very close to enough to buy veres off of a merc group. The weapons are then tied or worse than their lvl 85 empy counterparts, and unlike the emps have no possible upgrade to make them better if your situation changes in the future. Lastly, SS is a pretty decent WS, so you will likely being worse dmg than with the AH weapons listed above.
[+]
 Sylph.Wardeniii
Serveur: Sylph
user: Wardeniii
By Sylph.Wardeniii 2012-05-16 13:40:23
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Sawtelle said: »
Long Term Improvements:

I cannot argue against WoE empyreans strongly enough. On my server you are looking at 20-25mil to get them to 99, very close to enough to buy veres off of a merc group. The weapons are then tied or worse than their lvl 85 empy counterparts, and unlike the emps have no possible upgrade to make them better if your situation changes in the future. Lastly, SS is a pretty decent WS, so you will likely being worse dmg than with the AH weapons listed above.

I am certainly not a general proponent of the WoE weapons by any stretch, but if an individual (and I apologize for using the word "refuses" earlier)--if an individual is unable to make a relic or emp for whatever reason (and by unable I mean it is COMPLETELY 100% out of the question), then the WoE emp really is the next best alternative. To make sure all bases are covered though for the OP--you would only need 1 other person to farm an emp, and you could both agree to help farm 1 emp for each other. (i.e. I'll help you get a vere if you help me get an ukon). On that note though, chloris buds are one of the sh*ttiest requirements for any emp, and the only exchanges that would be remotely fair in my opinion would be a path that includes Bukhis, or Glavoid.

Also, I should have mentioned that I completely assumed the WoE h2h would be stopped at level 90. Since time and/or gil constraints are enough of an issue to be unable to do relic/emp, I figure we can safely assume the same limitation applies on the WoE h2h. Furthermore, I completely agree with you in the sense that I would never, ever ever suggest that someone make a complete 99 WoE h2h at this time. If you have enough cash to blow on a 99 WoE, you should be making emp or relic--no question about that. :)

The level 90 Reverant Fists +2 have only 1 less base damage, 4 more delay, and then ofc the 10 less STR than 85 Vere. Really not bad for what I believe are the OP's intentions. At the end of the day he will essentially end up with a level 85 verethragna, less the 10 STR/1 dmg/-4 delay/ODD.

I am quite confident that all other things being equal (quality of weapon skill sets/TP sets, optimal buffs for each individual WS, etc.), Vsmite will ALWAYS be better overall than Shijin in abyssea and voidwatch. The external crit mods from Abyssea atmas, and the dusty wings/champion's drinks(crit rate up) really tip the scales in favor of Vsmite. A big part of VS in voidwatch is how the 300TP wings enhances your Vsmite's crit chance, whereas on spiral you only get a greater chance of inflicting Plague on a mob that is completely immune to plague in the first place.

Sure, spharai and spiral will pull off a better-than-your-average bear-level of dps, but in the end I'm quite confident that if I slapped on Rev fists +2, I would outparse a ghost of myself using 95 spharai in VW.