Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Tachi: Jinpu
Tachi: Jinpu
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-19 18:10:33
Link | Citer | R

Before you continue reading this post, please be aware I am talking about use of Jinpu for *normal* use, not brewing/staggering, but practical use.

Since YGK are rather weak, for those who do not have Fudo usually I find the WS of choice are either Rana/Jinpu/Enpi, and I've been fiddling around with Jinpu lately until I finish up my lanterns for Masa. However, what I'm noticing is just highly unconsistent damage, and I'm wondering what exactly does help this WS out? And what atma choices would be best?

For brewing I normally use Gales/Ultimate/Smiting, however using such a combination on normal EXP mobs, I find that the numbers are highly lacking in damage. So I've tried multiple atma combinations, varying among VV/Stout Arm/Apoc, VV/RR/Apoc, VV/Smiting/Apoc, VV/Gales/Apoc, Gales/RR/Apoc, Gales/RR/Smiting, etc.

I just *cannot* quite figure out what works, but the best combo I've found were VV/Stout Arm/Apoc. On Bluffalo, which have rather high defense, with that combination and using the gear I plan to use with Fudo (for attack, I'm not sure how needed attack is for Jinpu but I know Bluffalos have high defense) I was able to pull off consistent 3-6k Jinpus almost every time. During Berserk, I used full STR gear, using Perle body for the crit+2% and I managed to spike up to 8k, and once even 11k damage. Enpis and Ranas did some surprising damage as well, but nothing as high as Jinpu's.

So I mostly want some feedback from you guys, what kind of non-brewing numbers have you been able to spike up your Jinpus? Ranas and Enpis too, if you feel like it. Note the atmas, gear, mob, etc.

I'm also more so interested in what gear you guys use for Jinpu, because I really have no idea what would be considered the right way to gear for Jinpu, if there is one.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Uzugami
Serveur: Phoenix
user: SSJAV
By Phoenix.Uzugami 2011-06-19 18:25:51
Link | Citer | R

Don't think Jinpu can crit, so Perle body (I'm assuming you're using it on WS) Isn't doing much compared to other options.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-19 18:37:41
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Jinpu is 2 hits, the first being physical and the second Wind damage. so the first can triple attack and the entire ws dmg will be tripled.

If I was exping and using solely Jinpu I would be using VV or Harvester to boost DA and dmg, Gales and AoA with sub war for a higher consistant damage.

If you have time you could /sch and use a Wind obi to self windstorm yourself but overall you're lowering your dps when the DA given by /war will counter that well

I see. So then, does STR/attack only alter the first hit, and the second hit is altered by other means? (Like MAB, Wind Magic Attack+, etc?)

Phoenix.Uzugami said:
Don't think Jinpu can crit, so Perle body (I'm assuming you're using it on WS) Isn't doing much compared to other options.

I see. I've also tried using Byrnie +1 and Osode. Don't have Twilight Mail yet (only drop off Shinryu I don't have yet...he's been stubborn about it) but I assume it would probably be the best piece to use.

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-19 18:42:23
Link | Citer | R

I'm going to take a wild guess and say Jinpu gets nowhere near the amount of attack bonus as YGK, so I've been trying to use mostly STR gear, with attack in certain slots. (Think Fudo/Kaiten set) Would that be wrong, should I just go all out STR? (Which I do anyway when Berserk is up, at least for EXP mobs)

I'll check that hairpin out. I was thinking about getting it anyway for THF cleaving, thanks for the tip.
 Shiva.Msthief
Serveur: Shiva
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-19 18:46:42
Link | Citer | R

I"m just talking out of my *** here, but...

Assuming Josiafk's info is correct then you have done the right thing with Apoc - nothing can help overall DOT and ws damage as much as that atma. Except for RR with crit ws's, but yeah.

The obvious second atma is VV with str (40% is pretty high for a ws mod) and the 5% double attack which has a huge bonus it seems with this WS.

Third atma is the only one I see that's questionable. It seems like that 40 str on stout arm wins - the only real competition would be ultimate. A fun third atma would be Alpha and Omega.

A good test would be to see how str and MAB compare. So like, do 50 with +10 str then do 50 with +10 MAB. Please keep us informed, those kinds of numbers are pretty neat for a non-emp.

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2011-06-19 18:57:28
Link | Citer | R

It's a 1FTP WS on both hits, first physical, second magical. VV isn't gonna be great, it's a straight 17WSC, something like Ultimate would beat that. I wouldn't take RR off either unless you're strictly doing WS. Probably along the lines of Gales/RR/MAB or Apoc.
Attack is relevant for the first hit, though ideally you should have a capped/not capped set for all WS. Osode till Twilight looks to be a good option, for fINT/WSC. Overall it won't be a consistent WS, Low WSC, SAM having low INT, chance at resists, accuracy check, pdif etc.
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-06-19 19:26:02
Link | Citer | R

Not trying to change the subject but is Gekko REALLY weak inside Abyssea? I would assume it's far more consistent than Jinpu, but idk as I don't use SAM inside Abyssea, and if I do it's purely Fudo.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-06-19 20:10:34
Link | Citer | R

Jinpu is two actual physical hits, magic dmg is simply added as a bonus on it based on your TP%.

If you wanted an atma to boost the magic portion of the dmg, I'd say ultimate is a much better option than gales as it should help with the resists on the magic dmg, one of the major causes of inconsistency on it and it's still comparable or better dmgwise.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-19 20:26:46
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
Not trying to change the subject but is Gekko REALLY weak inside Abyssea? I would assume it's far more consistent than Jinpu, but idk as I don't use SAM inside Abyssea, and if I do it's purely Fudo.

Gekko is still amazing for the stronger NMs due to it's naturally high cRatio/attack bonus and what not, but in terms of normal everyday mobs and fodder NMs you'll almost always see higher damage with Jinpus, even in consistency, unless your attack is extremely crappy.
 Cerberus.Lasareth
Serveur: Cerberus
user: lasareth
By Cerberus.Lasareth 2011-06-19 20:28:42
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Tarowyn said:
Jinpu is two actual physical hits, magic dmg is simply added as a bonus on it based on your TP%.

If you wanted an atma to boost the magic portion of the dmg, I'd say ultimate is a much better option than gales as it should help with the resists on the magic dmg, one of the major causes of inconsistency on it and it's still comparable or better dmgwise.

I don't know about that.

I didn't know the nature of jinpu til i read this thread so I went out and tried it on some puks. With +0 MAB I did 0 dmg. When I put on my novio the puk recovered 17 hp. That indicates to me that there is something recovering the exact same amount of damage I'm dealing between the two hits, and that second amount is susceptible to mab checks while the first isn't.

Koki just confuses me, though. It doesn't cure light based limules while other light WS do. Idunno.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-06-19 20:48:35
Link | Citer | R

Hrm, the dmg just doesn't seem high enough to be explained with 1 phsycial and 1 magical hit. I swear I've done dmg with jinpu on puks before (on accident, lol), but I'll try testing later once I get home.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-19 20:49:28
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Lasareth said:
Fenrir.Tarowyn said:

I don't know about that.

I didn't know the nature of jinpu til i read this thread so I went out and tried it on some puks. With +0 MAB I did 0 dmg. When I put on my novio the puk recovered 17 hp. That indicates to me that there is something recovering the exact same amount of damage I'm dealing between the two hits, and that second amount is susceptible to mab checks while the first isn't.

Koki just confuses me, though. It doesn't cure light based limules while other light WS do. Idunno.

Koki has some *RIDICULOUS* damage spikes in Abyssea too from what I've seen from mine. But I guess abyssea does that to alot of people. I'm more feeling that it's because attack is capped due to that fact that even outside abyssea on 75 content Jinpu can do 2-4k easily
 Cerberus.Lasareth
By Cerberus.Lasareth 2011-06-19 20:53:13
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Tarowyn said:
Hrm, the dmg just doesn't seem high enough to be explained with 1 phsycial and 1 magical hit. I swear I've done dmg with jinpu on puks before (on accident, lol), but I'll try testing later once I get home.

That may be explained by A: fighting mobs with natural mdb or B: fighting on Ice day (edit: probably not the first since we're talking puks I guess)

The opposite is also true. I just tried testing again and I was doing recovery spikes because it was wind day. And later on all my ws were recovering and I realized I was /blm accidentally, woops.

I noticed the spikes on koki too. Sam ws are just weird. ATK bonuses, Hybrid WSes, what was SE thinking!
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-06-19 20:55:52
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Lasareth said:
Fenrir.Tarowyn said:
That may be explained by A: fighting mobs with natural mdb or B: fighting on Ice day The opposite is also true. I just tried testing again and I was doing recovery spikes because it was wind day. And later on all my ws were recovering and I realized I was /blm accidentally, woops. I noticed the spikes on koki too. Sam ws are just weird. ATK bonuses, Hybrid WSes, what was SE thinking!
Just in general though, back when you first start using jinpu at lvl 49ish, if it's 1 physical and 1 magic hit, then it's at best equal to enpi and likely to be worse if you get resists. This just doesn't jive with my actual experience with the WS. Like I said, I'll try messing around with it some when I get home.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-06-19 21:05:28
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Lasareth said:
Fenrir.Tarowyn said:
That may be explained by A: fighting mobs with natural mdb or B: fighting on Ice day (edit: probably not the first since we're talking puks I guess) The opposite is also true. I just tried testing again and I was doing recovery spikes because it was wind day. And later on all my ws were recovering and I realized I was /blm accidentally, woops. I noticed the spikes on koki too. Sam ws are just weird. ATK bonuses, Hybrid WSes, what was SE thinking!
Oh, if you're not busy and have a chance now, could you try jinpuing something that does invincible? lol. If it's as you say, it should still take dmg, but my method it'll take 0. No worries if you can't, I'll just try it later.
 Cerberus.Lasareth
By Cerberus.Lasareth 2011-06-19 21:15:08
Link | Citer | R

I'll try sometime when I can, might be doing dynamis later tonight.

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-06-20 16:58:26
Link | Citer | R

So I tried out the puk thing a minute ago and I noticed something odd. It says 0 dmg, but you can actually see it's life bar move down so... I dunno, it's weird, lol. Either of you get a chance to try hitting something invincible?

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2011-06-20 18:38:50
Link | Citer | R

I'll try to test it sometime later, just got home and I'm starving, and I'll probably have to work on Ruminator for a bit before I can do any testing. I'll keep you guys posts on the Invincible thing.

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Yarly
Serveur: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2011-06-23 17:09:25
Link | Citer | R

skillchain damage based off of the closing ws damage

ws does zero, sc does zero

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-06-23 17:15:46
Link | Citer | R

Could test if skillchain damage counts by having a sch self skillchain. Would ensure damage was dealt during invincible.
 Cerberus.Lasareth
By Cerberus.Lasareth 2011-06-23 17:21:11
Link | Citer | R

pvp results are weird. how can you explain the resistance to feebs?

i never had the opportunity to try myself
[+]
 Fenrir.Tarowyn
By Fenrir.Tarowyn 2011-06-23 18:26:00
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
I finally got some time to test this and apparently Invincible blocks all forms of melee damage even magical ones? I don't know, the results were confusing I thought skillchain would kill him due to being magic damage. Invincible also stopped all enfeebles from landing on a Pld1 Maybe it's a pvp trait? hmmm
The results are consistent with the whole, physical dmg with magic dmg tacked on theory, but it's hard to say if that's just a pvp thing. By enfeebles do you mean like the debuff from ageha or actual enfeebles?