Harp's Unauthorized Guide To Soloing Walk Of Echoe

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Walk of Echoes » Harp's Unauthorized Guide to Soloing Walk of Echoe
Harp's Unauthorized Guide to Soloing Walk of Echoe
First Page 2 3
 Ragnarok.Harpunnik
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Harpunnik
By Ragnarok.Harpunnik 2010-10-28 08:01:01
Link | Citer | R

Well decided to post a quick guide on how to get yourself some walk of echoes coins without a linkshell or too many friends that are interested in walk of echoes. I've been at walk of echoes by myself or with a handful of friends for a few weeks now.

I have not lotted any coins I have not needed and mostly won my coins from one of the top 5 chests.

I generally didn't have much trouble being a so called "leech" at first. People we're normally friendly and didn't mind my help. These were the days of me coming WHM to help out. Generally these were actually very friendly JP shells. Once more linkshells started doing it, I ran into my problems. If I happened to have a winning lot the whole ls would begin to lot just so I wouldn't get that one little coin. I thought this was very petty and childish. A, if I can't have it, no one can have it attitude. I finally confronted someone that did this and one comment stuck in my head and inspired me. He said maybe if you don't suck so much you can just get your own chest and get your own coins. Thus began my days as PLD/WHM in walk of echoes.

There are a few jobs that can net a lot of exp, but PLD/WHM was the best choice available to me. I generally get about 13k exp on this job combo and can easily be in the top 5 if not #1 every time. Think of the goal in WoE as being able to score points in as many categories as possible, damage dealt, damage taken, hp cured, how much you buff, how much you enfeeble, etc.

Sets and linkshells typically have set event times. I knew when they went and was ready to have my character there. Kind of an unofficial ls member just showing to the event. Other than that, just check the area every now and then and be ready to retrace/recall and your good to go.

Allied notes. Doing this has eaten up my allied notes like crazy. Good way to stock up on those are some of the Campaign Ops you can do in the city, like street sweeper or crystal fist.

General conduct as a leech is also important. Don't go in lotting every type of coin that drops. All you will do is make enemies. Put what coin you want in your search message, and only lot that coin. No matter how much that linkshell tries to lot your coins away, never retaliate and lot other coins. Just be consistant and be nice. On rare occasions, pulls get messed up or what not. Since your solo, do a sack pull, or something that might greatly save the run. Show that you are willing to help the run win at all costs. Understand how the mob mechanics work, always back up so you don't aggro anything. You should NEVER be THE person who aggros an unwanted baby or boss, if you do, make up for your mistake and take it away and die in a corner somewhere. Ask to join the party or set, some have said ok and chucked me an invite. If you behave you will see good results. I have gotten a JP pearl out of it and I get invited into most sets now because they know i'm coming in no matter what, but i'm not going to be a huge jerk about it. Just stick with it, but don't be a douchebag.

Now I have run several ls runs into the zones and have been on the other side of the spectrum and had to deal with leeches. Here is my view on the whole thing. If your not putting in 36 players into the zone, you do not own the zone, plain and simple. You pay a measly 1k to go in...its almost free, you are not entitled to anything. Leeches are going to come in no matter what. Invite them to your party, make friends, ask them what coins they are lotting, they will be less inclined to lot all the coins. The linkshells that generally say they don't need extra help are the ones I normally see have the hardest time. Think of the leeches in your party as extra insurance that you will get the clear. Use walk of echoes to make new friends, don't be the douchebag that goes on a forum and is getting all pissy about someone lotting their coins. Your not investing gil like a namis glass or using some complicated strategy you've needed 3 months and a ton of research to figure out.

Also from general experience on drop rates, I find Decay Coins drop the most and Birth Coins drop the least (mostly from seeing cinflux #2 drops.)

Most people will probably flame this, and thats ok. But i'm hoping that maybe both sides can learn how to live with one another and perhaps be grown ups and make some friends...after all, the servers/communities are getting smaller.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
Serveur: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2010-10-28 08:13:19
Link | Citer | R

I for see much hate inc...

Sadly I was extreamly excited for this kinda pick up event idea SE had mainly because I do not have regular play times so LS or static group for something doesnt work out with me. Hearing that the jp community seems to be a little more open about it here and in another thread (assuming your not a loot *** like most of my server >.>) gives me a bit of hope though, might need to check that out...
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-28 08:19:14
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
If I happened to have a winning lot the whole ls would begin to lot just so I wouldn't get that one little coin. I thought this was very petty and childish.

Well what do you expect when you're leeching their run.

Quote:
General conduct as a leech is also important. Don't go in lotting every type of coin that drops. All you will do is make enemies. Put what coin you want in your search message, and only lot that coin.

You will still make enemies. *** riding someone else's hard work.

Quote:
If your not putting in 36 players into the zone, you do not own the zone, plain and simple. You pay a measly 1k to go in...its almost free, you are not entitled to anything. Leeches are going to come in no matter what. Invite them to your party, make friends, ask them what coins they are lotting, they will be less inclined to lot all the coins.

30 ppl over your lot is going to be worse for you than your 1 lot over their 30. You say that as if the 1 person is an actual threat.

It's not that they own the zone, if you want to do the zone, you're free to go in at any time, but it's the fact that you sit there and *** camp them or specifically come when they're going to show up, that is the *** move.

Quote:
Most people will probably flame this, and thats ok. But i'm hoping that maybe both sides can learn how to live with one another and perhaps be grown ups and make some friends..
If you were grown up, you wouldn't go out of your way to leech other people's hard work.

Aka this guide is for people without 3-5 competent friends, as that many players can easily lowman a zone.
[+]
 Ramuh.Scarmiglione
Serveur: Ramuh
user: afranko22
By Ramuh.Scarmiglione 2010-10-28 08:35:51
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
You will still make enemies. *** riding someone else's hard work.

If you were grown up, you wouldn't go out of your way to leech other people's hard work. Aka this guide is for people without 3-5 competent friends, as that many players can easily lowman a zone.

I guess I don't see where "someone's hard work" and "easily lowman a zone" can be used here. Ok, if its that hard, they couldn't low man a zone, and if they are lowman, who is to say they wouldn't mind an extra body. Just sayin
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-28 08:40:09
Link | Citer | R

Someone else's hard work as in his *** isn't needed, so he's gaining from them and they aren't from him, assuming they are competent, they wouldn't enter w/ less than necessary.

Not that the zone is hard, but it's still "hard work" as in effort used, etc.

Quote:
who is to say they wouldn't mind an extra body

The ppl doing the run?

If they say hey join us, fine go for it, but if they're like 95% of the ppl doing these zones, they don't want leeches.
[+]
 Leviathan.Blackwhirlwind
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Blackwhirlwind 2010-10-28 08:46:28
Link | Citer | R

Yeah did the same thing but ended up getting coins i didnt want from chest by getting top 5 on my Cor every run, when i got close to my goal i just went back to War to help the run go faster.
[+]
 Ramuh.Scarmiglione
Serveur: Ramuh
user: afranko22
By Ramuh.Scarmiglione 2010-10-28 08:47:04
Link | Citer | R

Ok, lets require an item like the hourglasses or lamps to enter, to make sure things are exclusive. While we are at it, why dont we do that to campaign and beseiged, to keep leeches away from campaign spoils.

*** wasn't needed? He claims he recieved most his coins from a top 5 chest. Wonder what he did, stood around and cured or hit a mob a few times and sat in the corner. Don't think he could get the top 5 coffer without contributing substancially, unless there were less than 5 people. Really isnt a drop that is OMGRAREDONTLOTOVEROURLS in WoE. Coins, if you are that butthurt over someone lotting a few coins and can't spend 30 more minutes and 1k on another run, something is wrong.
[+]
By BorealisV2 2010-10-28 08:54:14
Link | Citer | R

I've had a couple of JP leeches come and lot ***on my runs. You're not contributing, you're stealing. Make some friends and do it properly.
[+]
 Phoenix.Mogue
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-10-28 09:05:30
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Someone else's hard work as in his *** isn't needed, so he's gaining from them and they aren't from him, assuming they are competent, they wouldn't enter w/ less than necessary.

Not that the zone is hard, but it's still "hard work" as in effort used, etc.
I see the reading skills haven't improved.
[+]
 Bahamut.Valkyrian
Serveur: Bahamut
user: valkyrian
By Bahamut.Valkyrian 2010-10-28 09:05:43
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:

Ask to join the party or set, some have said ok and chucked me an invite. If you behave you will see good results.
Now I have run several ls runs into the zones and have been on the other side of the spectrum and had to deal with leeches. Here is my view on the whole thing. If your not putting in 36 players into the zone, you do not own the zone, plain and simple. You pay a measly 1k to go in...its almost free, you are not entitled to anything. Leeches are going to come in no matter what. Invite them to your party, make friends, ask them what coins they are lotting, they will be less inclined to lot all the coins. Think of the leeches in your party as extra insurance that you will get the clear. Use walk of echoes to make new friends, don't be the douchebag that goes on a forum and is getting all pissy about someone lotting their coins. Your not investing gil like a namis glass or using some complicated strategy you've needed 3 months and a ton of research to figure out.

Nicely said. People complaining about how SE designed this event probably missed the point. It's a game designed for players of all kinds, casual or Hardcore. For both. Not only for jerks with the "gang" spirit willing to battle for the "I'm the biggest LS" title.

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-28 09:13:21
Link | Citer | R

What's funny is I bet the people advocating the content of the OP are the ones crying and bitching when their mob "gets stolen" after they wipe.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-10-28 09:23:29
Link | Citer | R

The best way to go about getting coins is to not have a job and go during JP hours. They don't run WoE with linkshells, but instead do lowman shout groups. So when you show up, they happily invite you and not *** like a bunch of little girls.

That or you can go on the weekends if you do have a job. That's the only reason I'm not done with any of my weapons. I can only go late Friday and late Saturday night/morning.
 Odin.Sheelay
Serveur: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-28 09:27:38
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
*** wasn't needed? He claims he recieved most his coins from a top 5 chest. Wonder what he did, stood around and cured or hit a mob a few times and sat in the corner. Don't think he could get the top 5 coffer without contributing substancially, unless there were less than 5 people. Really isnt a drop that is OMGRAREDONTLOTOVEROURLS in WoE. Coins, if you are that butthurt over someone lotting a few coins and can't spend 30 more minutes and 1k on another run, something is wrong.

It's not hard to get a top 5 chest. You used to have to be top tier dmg, etc, but last update they changed it, and now even lower DDs and support roles are getting chests with relative ease over big damage players/tanks.

Just because you get chest doesn't mean you're needed.

Again this guide is for ppl who doesn't have a group of 3-5 competent friends.

If someone entering a WoE run as leech is capable of obtaining one of the top chests then it means the Ls or group he is leeching on has players worst than him.
Why wouldn't someone effectively proving to be of good help deserve his chest?

Like others said WoE was made to let players meet and play together. It's not a Dynamis run so there is no reason this kind of attitude should take place. It's just a Campaign 2.0
If the zones are so easy a group of 6 people could lowman it then I don't see how a whole Ls with 10-20-30 people can pretend to brag they are working hard on a run.
Throwing bodies at stuff does not translate to "being a hard working, well organized, etc. group or even owning an open zone such as WoE zones."
Turning WoE into an event where people would need to make sre they check an online calendar to avoid messing up an elitist group of people would just be sad.

I also think the OP couldn'tve put the descriptio down in a better way. He clearly pointed out the need to make yourself useful, admit and try to repair mistakes (bad pulls, wipe situations) and work as a team player. That is the complete opposite of what people would expect to see from a leech.
Bravo
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-28 09:31:07
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
If someone entering a WoE run as leech is capable of obtaining one of the top chests then it means the Ls or group he is leeching on has players worst than him.

Because lots of things aren't accounted for chest.

For example, you need an out of alliance sack puller to do slimes with 4-5 players. If you go with your group of 5, everybody gets a chest, including the sack puller.

Random enters, takes sacks chest. Just because that person was able to get a chest doesn't mean they were useful to the run. Keep that person, subtract sack = loss. Guy doesn't enter at all, can still win.

Quote:
Turning WoE into an event where people would need to make sre they check an online calendar to avoid messing up an elitist group of people would just be sad.
There's a difference between just going and entering, and camping groups and their ls event times to make sure you go exactly when they do.
[+]
 Hades.Eliane
Serveur: Hades
user: Eliane
By Hades.Eliane 2010-10-28 09:31:13
Link | Citer | R

lol 37 ruin coins, screw those things....everytime in coffers :S
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-28 09:37:16
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:

Because lots of things aren't accounted for chest.

For example, you need an out of alliance sack puller to do slimes with 4-5 players. If you go with your group of 5, everybody gets a chest, including the sack puller.

Random enters, takes sacks chest. Just because that person was able to get a chest doesn't mean they were useful to the run. Keep that person, subtract sack = loss. Guy doesn't enter at all, can still win.

Quote:
There's a difference between just going and entering, and camping groups and their ls event times to make sure you go exactly when they do.

I understand there are many ways of exploiting WoE and leech in a wrong way, but this description didn't seem to go in that direction.
Leeches aren't necessarily all bad players stealing from other people's work.

I wouldn'tve criticized on this guide though since it sounded pretty honest and "humble", that's all.

There are many people who can make this guide work and eventually meet other players, enjoy the game better.
The day this games turns into a single player game, it's going to die.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-28 09:49:24
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

That's pretty much what it's doing. The single player going in and riding the effort of others, rather than forming his own team and doing it right.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-28 09:53:02
Link | Citer | R

Abyssea has killed everything in ffxi.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-10-28 09:59:13
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:

That's pretty much what it's doing. The single player going in and riding the effort of others, rather than forming his own team and doing it right.

People can still join new teams though...

I'm not really thinking differently from you, but in a scenario where someone finds himself unable to join his friends ( RL, game times etc ) there is no reason he should cut himself out of an open event such as WoE, where everyone can contribute to a common goal.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2010-10-28 10:09:27
Link | Citer | R

The only problem I've really seen with Walk of Echoes up to this point is now with the change in the exp system, no one is going to beat the plds cors and rdms.

If those three jobs stay active the entire run, no other jobs will touch them. They will always have the top 5 chests.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zanno
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-10-28 10:10:21
Link | Citer | R

I recall tigerwoods coming on the forum and crying like a little girl when WoE was released, because someone enter the same time his group did. Probably still havent been able to forget that..lol
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-28 10:13:25
Link | Citer | R

Nah not rly. We just ended up MPK'ing that guy, lol.
[+]
 Asura.Ina
Serveur: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2010-10-28 10:13:37
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zanno said:
coming on the forum and crying like a little girl

Thats why forums were invented no? :P jkjk
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2010-10-28 10:19:00
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
MPK outsiders is A-OK
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-28 10:20:45
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Rinomaru said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
MPK outsiders is A-OK
They can easily RR sure, but gl getting a chest when you're sitting out 5 mins of what at the time was a 30 minute run, but this guy in particular wasn't even going for chest. He just at in the corner and lotted ***.
First Page 2 3