My SAM Is 66. Am I Doing It Right?

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » My SAM is 66. Am I doing it right?
My SAM is 66. Am I doing it right?
 Diabolos.Bendak
Serveur: Diabolos
Game: FFXI
user: bendak
By Diabolos.Bendak 2010-07-19 20:01:58
Link | Citer | R

Looking for advice on playing my 66 Taru SAM.

Here's my TP build.

And my WS swap.

I think I'm gearing decently for Great Katana but I'm not sure if I missed some good EX equip.

Also I'm not entirely certain on how I should gear for Penta Thrust. More of a balance between STR/DEX/Acc/Att?

Any suggestions are welcome.
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-19 20:05:30
Link | Citer | R

For the level, there's really not much to complain about. Tiphia Sting and Voyager Sallet would be improvements, if only just barely.
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-07-19 20:05:56
Link | Citer | R

Pole Grip is the best for it's level, obviously Peacock Charm is a plus, other than that I have no real complaint's about your TP set as it looks good to me :D

Penta Thrust is highly accuracy dependent, after your happy with it's accuracy, apply Attack.
[+]
 Alexander.Temaruma
Serveur: Alexander
user: Temarumaz
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-07-19 20:06:11
Link | Citer | R

For your ws set smilodon mantle +1, AF legs, and you could sell the HQ str rings and just buy lvl 54 ones
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-07-19 20:07:41
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Temaruma said:
For your ws set smilodon mantle +1, AF legs, and you could sell the HQ str rings and just buy lvl 54 ones

This too for sure.
 Asura.Shinagami
Serveur: Asura
user: Shinagami
By Asura.Shinagami 2010-07-19 20:08:08
Link | Citer | R

here are my suggestions: lose the soboro, get a GK with a higher base dmg, if you're 66 you should be having access to the lv 67 GK that does crit dmg VS demons iirc, get your af legs for WS, and i think potent belt would be better to ws in...for the added acc. oh and the STR+4 rings for ws work too.

and if possible, find a better TP head.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-07-19 20:09:11
Link | Citer | R

Don't lose the Soboro. It's the best GK until Hagun.
 Hades.Stefanos
Serveur: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-07-19 20:09:20
Link | Citer | R

Zeal Cap or the +1 version for TP set.
 Alexander.Nepharite
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2010-07-19 20:10:36
Link | Citer | R

zeal cap and polearm builds destroy birds

~edit
was beat to mentioning zeal cap
and i agree on soboro owning till hagun
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-07-19 20:10:44
Link | Citer | R

But Soboro is beast!.. until you get a Hagun, even then I can still parse damn close to Hagun users on Soboro, also I never remember any XP parties against Demons..

Potent Belt is better which is true, also come in handy for Penta.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-07-19 20:12:41
Link | Citer | R

Adding Shinimusha Haidate to your TP set should chop a hit off your build for GK, well worth the tradeoff.

And imps are considered demons so it's kinda nice for mire.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-07-19 20:13:59
Link | Citer | R

High acc/atk for penta on sam. The mod% are a little low to gear directly for them, but as long as you can cap acc stuff with str/dex are a plus, just make sure acc is capped and go for a lot of atk.

Dirty said pole grip, but make sure you ONLY do this on PLM or a non-soboro. You don't pair pole grip with soboro.

Pcc, Tiphia, str+4 rings are improvements to look into for that level. I'd tp in minuet if you have a brd/cor, there's a coral+1 earring u can get if you want to go all out but not needed, and fowling ear at 70.

Also, being any other race is an improvement too.
 Alexander.Temaruma
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-07-19 20:14:35
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
But Soboro is beast!.. until you get a Hagun, even then I can still parse damn close to Hagun users on Soboro, also I never remember any XP parties against Demons..

Potent Belt is better which is true, also come in handy for Penta.

Imps=Demons
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-07-19 20:16:36
Link | Citer | R

Oh yea! But I would be very surprised if it would beat Soboro tbh.
 Alexander.Temaruma
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-07-19 20:20:22
Link | Citer | R

Yeah still use soboro til hagun
 Diabolos.Bendak
By Diabolos.Bendak 2010-07-20 09:49:43
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for the advice everyone. Hit up the AH this morning and now my gear looks like this.

Great Katana TP

Great Katana WS

Polearm TP

Polearm WS

Still need to make time to go get the Rare/Ex items mentioned. Also looking at getting a wyvern earring soon.

Been using crab sushi for Colibri and pizza for anything else.

I realize being a Taru means I will never do as good as an equally geared and skilled character of another race but there isn't anything I can do to change my race.

Biggest problem I'm having is keeping both Great Katana and Polearm skilled up.
 Odin.Vecroge
user: Vecroge
By Odin.Vecroge 2010-07-20 10:07:17
Link | Citer | R

for ur GKTP set 1. get a Pole Grip, 2. With STP legs, Chivalrous Chain can be replaced with spectacles if need any acc
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2010-07-20 10:07:55
Link | Citer | R

Your race is incorrect. I hate to say, you are doing it wrong. As you said, there is nothing you can do.

By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-07-20 10:18:35
Link | Citer | R

You can ditch the Shinimusha Haidate for Polearm TP as that doesn't decrease the amount of hits to reach 100TP at lv66 unless you can get another 3STP from somewhere, but that could mess your accuracy depending.

LV70 brings along another tier of STP where the Shinimusha Haidate will work and bring you to a 6hit instead of 7.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Serveur: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2010-07-20 10:20:25
Link | Citer | R

Depending on your subjob.

I can vouch for out parsing Soboro in mid 60s.

S.S. is not end-all-be-all but nice. Same with Hagun.
 Diabolos.Obliterate
user: TBMC
By Diabolos.Obliterate 2010-07-20 10:41:51
Link | Citer | R

What you have now is fine for your level. If you want high DoT in non-bird pts then keep your soboro, if you want to see higher numbers but do less DoT then get a higher dmg GKT.

When you get Hagun and access to merits there is a efficient and non-efficient way to play sam, but until then just gear decently through the levels, learn all your sc's and find out what sub suits you.

There are some sams out there that still like to sub thf and do over 1k ws(lower lvl pts at OPs lvl, not counting hagun /war with overwhelm of course), some ppl say thats wrong or inefficient but in the end its your job play it the way you want. I'd take a skilled /thf sam in my pt that knows how to time ws anyday over a OMGLOOKATMYDMG ws spamming soboro or hagun sam that interupts other sams self- scs or see's frag and still uses gekko anyway.

For PLM you should be trying to max acc as much as possible even during ws, with sams skill with it it takes alot of acc to bring it up to where it should be vs ITs. Again though at your lvl there isn't much improvement that you can do but the higher you get you gain access to alot more gear that can make very big differences on your dmg output.

Just keep doin what your doin, learn the job and its strengths, play to those strengths, and you'll be fine.
 Diabolos.Bendak
By Diabolos.Bendak 2010-07-20 10:47:09
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
You can ditch the Shinimusha Haidate for Polearm TP as that doesn't decrease the amount of hits to reach 100TP at lv66 unless you can get another 3STP from somewhere, but that could mess your accuracy depending.

I must be figuring this wrong then. Couse is 13tp/hit base. If I WS in 21STP I get 15.7 from the first hit. Tping in 27STP gives 16.5/hit. So after 5 regular hits I'll have gained
82.5tp plus 15.7 from first hit of WS give 98.2 meaning if 2 or more of Penta Thrust's extra attacks connected I'll be over 100tp. Or did I miss something?
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-07-20 10:49:37
Link | Citer | R

That is correct ^^ But one thing I've learned from Colibri PT's is that you're gonna get hate and that damn bird will always take your TP away, so I just stuck to a true xhit build rather than TP overflow.