Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Samurai gear advice
Samurai gear advice
 Hades.Hiryo
Serveur: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-01-11 12:40:01
Link | Citer | R

Hey guys, i was just wondering if you could give me some advice for gear for my Samurai, This is what i currently have..
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=51898

Any advice would be appreciated ;D

Hiryo.

**Edit.. My Sam is currently @51
 Siren.Flattus
Serveur: Siren
user: Flattus
By Siren.Flattus 2009-01-11 13:09:35
Link | Citer | R

Everything seems pretty good.
Grab a Sniper's ring or two maybe, unless you're not having Acc issues.
Jaeger Mantle if you care about more attack, otherwise, it looks good to me.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-01-11 13:17:31
Link | Citer | R

Agh typed out a long winded reply and it didnt get posted.. Im not having issues with ACC as i seem to be hitting a *lot* more than i miss ^^ I just want to maximise my damage, im focusing on a STR/ATK build, Im currently eating NQ kabobs.. If i Use HQ ones instead, will that have a impact on my WS damage?
 Siren.Flattus
Serveur: Siren
user: Flattus
By Siren.Flattus 2009-01-11 13:28:28
Link | Citer | R

Chiefkabobs Mostlikely will
Could try out Coeurl subs too
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-01-11 13:31:21
Link | Citer | R

Ah alright thanks, Just wanted to know if its worth splashing out the extra 4.5k for HQ ones lol :P
 Carbuncle.Xenobriatix
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Xenobriatix 2009-01-11 13:43:07
Link | Citer | R

If you have a helpful LS, get a Soboro and you should be good.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-01-11 13:44:22
Link | Citer | R

My ls is very helpful ^^ But tbh im not sure i want Soboro.. Won't it feed the mob too much tp? and give the tanks a hard time lol?
 Carbuncle.Xenobriatix
By Carbuncle.Xenobriatix 2009-01-11 13:50:48
Link | Citer | R

Yes, it will make it slightly harder for your tank, but if they are good and you know how to back off when you need to, it will help greatly. People would call me an idiot, but you may be able to slip some - enmity gear in slots that you don't have absolutely necessary gear in. And a Soboro is of course best for Sidewinder spam as sam/rng.

Edit: I forgot to slap you before.... /slap
Even if not for party use, a Soboro is godly for soloing =P
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-01-11 13:55:54
Link | Citer | R

I tend to WS then turn my back on the mob till the Tank has hate again, it seems to work for me and makes sure i don't die lol, I guess i could try and get a Soboro and try it out, i've heard SAM/DNC with one rocks lol, the -Emnity sounds like a good idea, but i don't really have anywhere i can put it atm, Atm im SAM/WAR, i don't have RNG level'd and not to sure if i intend on doing it, im hapy with /WAR atm.
 Carbuncle.Xenobriatix
By Carbuncle.Xenobriatix 2009-01-11 14:00:10
Link | Citer | R

Even without going /rng, it still maximizes your damage potential until at least lvl 70. My best advice is to get it if possible, then use it when you can. Sam/dnc is indeed lethal. If your tank can handle you getting that much hate, use the Soboro. If not, be kind and switch to something else lest you start mass drama in your party lol. You could also try sam/drg as the multi hit can stack with jump and high jump, and you could use a wyvern earring if you can afford it.
 Hades.Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-01-11 14:06:43
Link | Citer | R

Hmmm.. haste +5% is nice D:
I think i may try and get a Soboro then, i wana try /DNC with it :P
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-11 14:46:52
Link | Citer | R

Id nver use a soboro.. eveyone wants to att more than once or twice...ugggg.

I go for Strict Str b/c More STR. more DMG u put out. IMO thats what a SAM shud be about.. A heavyily Armed DD with major Dmg.. get s in there puts 1 big shot of DMG, instead of many lil short ones...

I wear: Hauby( No plus 1)
Axe Grip
Hume Sachet( 1) im hume and (2) it give me +1 to str
Hachiman: legs, arms and pants and legs and boots for
TP bonus.
Chiv Chain : Again Tp bonus Hit Acc, and Str.
Range: if need, make sure you have archery up capp'd
(shigeto bow)
Wep: Onimaru or Hagun

Don't flame me.. its just my Opinion, and what I use. Im not here to ostercise ppl on what they wear. Its just a game.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-01-11 15:02:28
Link | Citer | R

Your gear is pretty much fine for 51. Obvious upgrades are PCC/Fumas etc but also pricy. 2x Acc ring should be a fairly high priority, and don't worry about making a STR WS macro until you get Tachi: Yukikaze. Pole Grip at 60 and use it forever (cheapish too), can use Mythril Grip +1 from 55-59~ if you really want.

Hachiman Set, avoid all but Hands to maintain 6hit I believe at least at 75. 70-74, not entirely sure. Body isn't bad for WS; do not TP in it.
 Garuda.Hiroichirou
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Hiroichirou 2009-01-11 16:18:07
Link | Citer | R

Neonracer said:
Id nver use a soboro.. eveyone wants to att more than once or twice...ugggg.

I go for Strict Str b/c More STR. more DMG u put out. IMO thats what a SAM shud be about.. A heavyily Armed DD with major Dmg.. get s in there puts 1 big shot of DMG, instead of many lil short ones...

I wear: Hauby( No plus 1)
Axe Grip
Hume Sachet( 1) im hume and (2) it give me +1 to str
Hachiman: legs, arms and pants and legs and boots for
TP bonus.
Chiv Chain : Again Tp bonus Hit Acc, and Str.
Range: if need, make sure you have archery up capp'd
(shigeto bow)
Wep: Onimaru or Hagun

Don't flame me.. its just my Opinion, and what I use. Im not here to ostercise ppl on what they wear. Its just a game.

dont know what he means by he using onimaru or hagun if u get a Hagun u use that baby 24/7 365 unless you are sam/dnc then u use a soboro. For me Sam isnt about dealing insane amounts of damage , its about dealing a ton of dmg really fast even if it doesnt get past 500 dmg and i use ACC+ gear cause theres no point in being a hulk sam and miss pretty much all your hits. If you want to go the crazy insane dmg 1k and up go drk not sam.
 Diabolos.Knitemare
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Zapix
By Diabolos.Knitemare 2009-01-11 16:54:33
Link | Citer | R

If you sub /WAR, seriously avoid using Soboro unless your tank is insanely good. On my hume character I used Soboro all the way to 75, but I had to be very selective. Absolutely NO NIN tank parties. You'll double-triple attack like it your job as SAM/WAR with Soboro. Yes, it feeds mobs TP like a $1 Chinese buffet for a whole family. Just don't use it with certain mobs. Example... Avoid using Soboro on bombs!

If you do go with Soboro, the follow will make mobs wish they could [Call for Help] with you attacking... haub, Fuma/Saotome feet, o-kote, the lv50 Haidate for Store TP+6 (those will last you even in endgame), sniper/woodsman rings, life belt (potent belt 60+ until Warwolf.) or a waist with haste if your acc is good. Not an absolute, but a emp hairpin with the evasion + is nice until you can equip something more endgame. Later Hachiman body, hands and feet with soboro (until you merit Store TP) will help with those 6-hit weaponskills. Also rather uncommon, but a beautiful sj, /DRG. It won't get you in as much trouble as /WAR, you'll have Jump and High Jump (which high jumps sheds a little hate, and 2-3 hits can trigger with both jumps) accuracy bonus, etc. You can also then equip Wyvern Earring for 5% haste. Been SAM/DRG for 2+ years, it's a killer combo with Soboro. 72+ you can self SC Light with ease.

Never used hagun, never will. I've watched damage between Soboro and that over priced GK... It's great for big WS damage, but a hagun user will never WS as fast as a Soboro user, and the WS spamming will make Hagun a waste of money.

and I agree with Hiroichirou, if you want BIG spike damage, level DRG, DRK or WAR.
 Bahamut.Brake
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Brake
By Bahamut.Brake 2009-01-11 18:25:27
Link | Citer | R

When I was that lvl sam I didnt have a soboro either. I agree it is an amazing weapon, but if your concerned with feeding too much tp and whatnot, I'd invest in a Daihannya at lvl59. Its probably the best alternative to soboro at that lvl.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-01-11 21:24:41
Link | Citer | R

If you really want to be dealing damage you'll use Polearm over GKT until you get Yuki and Gekko(even then on mobs weak to piercing polearm can come out on top). Penta Thrust with the gear available to SAM makes a lot of DRGs cry. You need to use more acc obviously but it is very much worth it.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-11 21:43:28
Link | Citer | R

Everyone Opinion.. I entitled here, thats fine.

I'm sure every situation sounds and looks good.

I'm just saying don't critize me, If I want to be a Hulk and Do Huge 1K dmg..

Thats just my choice, and I'm sure that my opinion is just that.

Like I said, I'm not her to ostracise or tell ppl to play their job the way I do or how it shud be played.. I'm sure there is every other way it can be played... or there is numerous ways to play a good sam.

All a matter of selection of Sj or choise of equipment.

Right?? or am I going to be told otherwise??

=/
 Fairy.Raikan
Serveur: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-01-11 22:00:54
Link | Citer | R

A lot of the posts have me scratching my head here...

SAM's with a Soboro will never do huge spike damage, just to clairify. So of course if you go Soboro the whole way and want to see higher damage you should consider looking at your weapon and your Samurai gear, _not_ consider leveling DRK, WAR or DRG.

The things that have been posted about SAM/RNG and SAM/DRG with Soboro are accurate. Once you get into endgame with your Samurai though, you really should look into an Onimaru or Hagun. The mob builds TP so fast when you have a Soboro on it, and after 70 plus in most Endgame situations the return just isn't there because of it's low damage.

Since your SAM is only 51, most of what you have and the recommendations that have been made for your current available gear choices are good.

For when your SAM hits 70+ (Since that seems to be what everybody else here is trying to gear you for), I recommend reading the following.

http://ths.drwilco.net/viewtopic.php?t=3591
A detailed and comprehensive thread on my social LS's forum regarding Samurai, a 6-hit build, and gear choices.

And finally:

User submitted image

This was done on the Zilart Mission 8 Boss.
I would think that a 1700+ Tachi: Gekko qualifies as "Spike" damage, and you'll never ever hit a WS that high with a Soboro.
[+]
 Ramuh.Shadowarrior
Serveur: Ramuh
user: lilaznkru
By Ramuh.Shadowarrior 2009-01-11 22:27:41
Link | Citer | R

it is true. u will not spike as high as 1700 with soboro.. my soboro damage is usually 600 average procs, 900+ when DA procs. it wont do anything crazy like hagun but its decent when ur soloing [yuki+kasha pwns mobs] or if ur /dnc and u still want decent dmg output while being able to use cures. but soboro is really worth getting. amanorelic > hagun > soboro. and soboro > all other GKTs until 75 for hagun. some sams use onimaru for bleh dmg... but thats cause their cheap. soboro is free!

btw raikan care to spill ur /sub + how my str gear ur stacking? is this before or after the sam nerf? cause before with overpowered 2 hand update u cud pull 1400+ WSs EASY with crappy gear. nice dmg though ^^b
 Fairy.Raikan
Serveur: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-01-12 21:08:40
Link | Citer | R

That was just this past Saturday evening.

Subjob was /war, food was C.Sub.
Weapon was Hagun.

STR on my WS's are 74+44 (1 Merit).
Merits on my page are up to date.

Gear is far from complete, but decent I think.

WS Gear:
Hagun, Pole Grip, Lightning Bow +1, Wyvern Helm, C.Chain. Bushinomimi, Brutal Earring, Kirin's Osode, Hachiman kote, Ecphoria ring, Raja's Ring, Forager's mantle, Warwolf belt, Myochin haidate +1, Hachiman sune-ate.
 Valefor.Welfare
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Welfare 2009-01-12 21:38:53
Link | Citer | R

Soboro at 51 is the best weapon for sam at 50~ as well as sam/rng.
Unless you are fighting birds (by at least 55) at which point I would suggest /drg, Lance Belt, Wyvern Earring, and a fitting Polearm. Subbing /rng with Soboro and using Spamwinder on birds, is absolutely awesome except the R.acc on sam/rng isn't the best and generally makes you want to eat Squid which would be pointless on birds since they would eat it which is why most sam use polearm.
A lot of people suggest using /war instead of /drg for the obvious attack increase - I say it's personal preferance. Myself, I move back and forth between /drg, /war, /rng, /thf - just depends on what you're doing and who you're doing it with.
One more thing about Soboro - if you intend on ever using sam/dnc, (which rocks), you will most definately want Soboro.

A few nights ago, I essentially soloed Snoll for a friend of mine who's PT's, yes, PT's; were failing miserably. (I say essentially because I was the MVP but other people were involved so I wasn't truly solo).
We zoned in, I popped meditate, we ran up to it, engaged, and I proceeded to sidewinder >> Meikyo Shisui >> sidewinder, (I forget how many - Forgotten screenshotted it)....and it was all over, just that fast.
Probably could have done the same thing without even having a GK equipped since you can't wait to TP up on Snoll because of the terribly low time limit.

Sam can do some cool things - keep at it and enjoy ^^

Edit: I didn't 2-hour until my second pass at Snoll with the second PT. The first pass, I took the time to meditate twice before we engaged. Meditate >> Meditate >> Sekkanoki >> Sharpshot >> Barrage. You engage at this point and self-sc right away followed by /ra which is gonna give you full TP again and another sidewinder. If anyone else is even awake, it shouldn't take much more to finish the fight.
[+]
 Odin.Marigrim
Serveur: Odin
user: Mmaarrii
By Odin.Marigrim 2009-01-12 21:40:44
Link | Citer | R

/fin changed my mind
 Valefor.Welfare
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Welfare 2009-01-12 21:52:13
Link | Citer | R

Hagun is a good GK but it's overrated. I'm not spending several mil on a GK that does marginally more dmg than an Ushikirimaru or even Onimaru just because some wad who was stupid enough to burn that much money on a GK and wants to resell it, says I should. If you can pick one up for significantly less, go for it.
Just my opinion.
[+]
 Shiva.Lancelan
Serveur: Shiva
user: lancelan
By Shiva.Lancelan 2009-01-12 23:32:06
Link | Citer | R

readin some threads goin lol... it pends what type of player u are if u wish to be elite or not soboro doesnt hurt and has potential atw up in endgame... hagun is not over rated it is one of top GKT in game, for those who down it cant afford it.. theres other good gkt out there but hey I like to be a elitiest
 Caitsith.Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-13 02:55:13
Link | Citer | R

IF you can afford the hagun sure..

If you can't, then go for the next best option....
...exacatly.. Besides if Hagun is the 1 of the Top GKT in game and Soboro doesn't hurt...But are you going to aim to strive for your Sam to get the best one yet?

Relic?????

Last upgrade your sam will ever need!
 Cerberus.Saiya
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-13 03:38:43
Link | Citer | R

Kay^^ Gear looks good, not doing anything wrong.

If you can get a Soboro as people have said, it's golden till the 70s range. However other GKT as you level up are perfectly acceptable, you won't be disappointed with DMG when you get Yuki and/or Gekko.

Your gear now as it stands is fine. I notice you have the Ochimusha Kote, so if you can stand to camp the Sarutobi Kyahan then do so ^^.

Other than that upgrade what you have as your levels increase, not m,uch else to say. RK Breeches at 55, for WS or both TP & WS as you prefer. Hauby at 59, Potent Belt at 60. Obv at 55 Spike Earrings. Sadly those feet have are probably the best apart from Fumas Kyahan till Hachiman or Fuma sune-ate.

Other than that, just make sure you slam on as much STR as possible for WS ^^.

Though it's a ways away, later on, Hagun if you can afford because spike dmg is pretty. But Onimaru is still one of the better GKTs, and Soboro is respectable also. They're all decent choices at 75.