Help With My Gear Sets...

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Help with my gear sets...
Help with my gear sets...
By VidienofUni 2010-05-20 05:13:51
Link | Citer | R

Hey guys, first time poster and like many others I'm looking for some advice on my gear... Now keep in mind I dont have access to rajas yet or sky/sea for that matter. My race is Elvaan, And am currently saving up for a Hagun. And have started working on my merits.

Currently have:
3 in STP
1 in Overwhelm

Here is my GK TP set:

I also have Hachiman Kote if it would be better to TP in.
Would sellin Amemet's mantle +1 and getting a Forager's mantle be better?

Here is my GK WS set.

Haven't started working on Brutal earring but its a goal after Hagun. Or should I get Brutal first?

Here is my Polearm TP set:

And here is my Polearm WS set:

I usually do birds with Crab Sushi. Haven't had much of a chance to do anything out of merit parties on Sam. Nyzul Isle I usually go on my War. I did do a Hagun run the other day on Sam but ate Sole sushi since I wasnt sure if I would miss NM. And have been reading that anything out of birds I should try Pizza... Does this still hold with my gear?

I know I need alot of improvement. And any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all in advance.
 Siren.Itachi
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Itachi 2010-05-20 05:29:42
Link | Citer | R

inb4DOMARUUUUUUUU
 Siren.Itachi
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Itachi 2010-05-20 05:31:12
Link | Citer | R

full time hauby and sell domaru seriously speaking
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-05-20 05:36:20
Link | Citer | R

Working through your gearsets 1-by-1, I'd say:

GK TP
Swap a Sniper's Ring for Ecphoria and add Hachiman Kote. That will let you drop your current 7-hit build (which is making your JSE Legs redundant) and give you a 6-hit, making your JSE Legs useful.

If you'd rather not drop those, then replace O Kotes with Dusk Hands and JSE with something more useful (Att+ Acc+ Haste+, any decent DD stat).

GK WS
Replace Walahra Turban for a Wyvern Helm. Other than this, I can't find anything glaringly wrong with your WS gear.

Polearm TP
Swap O Kotes for Dusk, JSE for anything DD-related. Ring's are great though.

Polearm WS
I'd use Hachiman Feet while you already have them. For Legs, AF if nothing else, ideally Acc+ or Att+ though.

Obvious improvements would include HQ gear (Haub, Rings, Alky Bracelets, etc). Pick up a Swift Belt as soon as possible, and try to get a Byakko's Haidate if you can.

On the "Amemet VS Foragers" question, there won't be a great difference, but Foragers would win due to having +1 STR (that's pretty much it though I think).

My SAM gear is far from perfect, but I have the item sets posted on my profile; feel free to glance over them if you get bored/curious.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Serveur: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-05-20 05:36:56
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Itachi said:
full time hauby and sell domaru seriously speaking

Why would you sell Domaru for Y/G/K? Don't need the Acc and it has more STR than Haub +1.
 Valefor.Argettio
Serveur: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-20 05:38:15
Link | Citer | R

GKT TP

If you finish your sTP merits and use Hachiman kotes you will have a 6hit for your GKT, so that should be your first mission (finish the merits).

Swift belt and Byakko’s are the 2 biggest pieces your TP build is missing (and if you get byakko’s you need rajas to make up for the sTP loss), So I would work towards them asap. So finish RotZ and work on Sea access. Swift (and some CoP missions) should be easy soon as they are removing the level cap to CoP zones.

Foragers is better than Amemet +1, but there are better places to spend money atm.

GKT WS

Get a real WS hat. Wyvern helm is cheap and easy.

Alky braclets
HQ rings
WS gorget (Sea)
Domaru is perfectly fine for WS set, as I doubt your using SAM on JoL or Tia

I don’t have time to go over pole arm builds (read: my boss is sat behind me), so I will do that later.
[+]
By VidienofUni 2010-05-20 06:08:25
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Working through your gearsets 1-by-1, I'd say: GK TP Swap a Sniper's Ring for Ecphoria and add Hachiman Kote. That will let you drop your current 7-hit build (which is making your JSE Legs redundant) and give you a 6-hit, making your JSE Legs useful. If you'd rather not drop those, then replace O Kotes with Dusk Hands and JSE with something more useful (Att Acc Haste , any decent DD stat). GK WS Replace Walahra Turban for a Wyvern Helm. Other than this, I can't find anything glaringly wrong with your WS gear. Polearm TP Swap O Kotes for Dusk, JSE for anything DD-related. Ring's are great though. Polearm WS I'd use Hachiman Feet while you already have them. For Legs, AF if nothing else, ideally Acc or Att though. Obvious improvements would include HQ gear (Haub, Rings, Alky Bracelets, etc). Pick up a Swift Belt as soon as possible, and try to get a Byakko's Haidate if you can. On the "Amemet VS Foragers" question, there won't be a great difference, but Foragers would win due to having 1 STR (that's pretty much it though I think). My SAM gear is far from perfect, but I have the item sets posted on my profile; feel free to glance over them if you get bored/curious.

On GK TP set I forgot to add Ecphoria ring which I got the other day. And I wouldn't mind dropping O-Kotes for Hachiman kotes if it would help me more.

On GK TP set I dont kow why I forgot to add Wyvern Helm when I already have it. /facepalm

On Polearm TP set I have to work on gettin Dusk gloves. As of legs would Royal Knights breeches be better?

On Polearm WS set, I dont mind changing over to Hachiman kotes.

Thanks Hitetsu.

@ Argettio:

STP merits are my first mission. I just thought throwing 1 into overwhelm would help ^^. Am currently working on ROTZ and COP missions with LS as well as Nyzul Isle when I am off work. (Work on a oil rig so dont play a whole lot unless I'm off).

Should I forget about Hagun for now and work on gettin Byakko's first? And then Rajas? Or upgrade rings and bracelet with money I have saved so far?

Thanks for the advice as well Argettio.
By VidienofUni 2010-05-20 06:12:59
Link | Citer | R

Damn forgot to Preview before posting that wall of text. Sorry everyone. Plus I dont have access to edit button...
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-20 06:33:07
Link | Citer | R

Hagun will do more for you than anything else of the AH, so that would be the first thing to save for.

As soon as you get Sky access start working towards Byakko pop sets (both NMs can be farmed/killed with 2-6 people) as you will want 2 items from him (Shura and Byakko hiadate)
 Seraph.Rafik
Serveur: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-05-20 11:56:54
Link | Citer | R

Nothing wrong with domaru body for sam ws, especially if you need the store tp from it. The sams that tp in domaru are like people tping in askar body.... Dont do it if you need the accuracy from haub.
 Phoenix.Airbag
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-05-20 12:04:52
Link | Citer | R

is there a real reason for tping in rajas ring if it doesnt keep your x-hit build over a 5/7acc ring
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-05-20 12:07:43
Link | Citer | R

For 1handers there is, for 2handers not really. That said, 2handers also cap accuracy a lot more easily so Rajas becomes useful again.
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-20 12:10:30
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Airbag said:
is there a real reason for tping in rajas ring if it doesnt keep your x-hit build over a 5/7acc ring

Yes; 1fSTR, 1-5% crit rate and subtle blows all for the loss of 2 acc (compared to a 5acc ring) are all good.

But it isn't as clear cut as when you need the sTP.
 Seraph.Rafik
Serveur: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-05-20 12:20:20
Link | Citer | R

If you using KO for sidewinder and still wiffing, Hachiman Domaru is a good alternative.