High End Graphics Cards And FFXI (Nvidia Bug)

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » High end graphics cards and FFXI (Nvidia bug)
High end graphics cards and FFXI (Nvidia bug)
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-09-17 08:39:33
Link | Citer | R

Looking to build a new PC. As I'm sure many people here are aware, many nvidia cards newer than 2012 will constantly crash playing FFXI(causing TDR). Some of them could be avoided by turning off shadows and weather. Some couldn't. They had recommended drivers, but those just lowered the frequency and didn't resolve the issue completely. My last build a couple years back, I had to return a brand new 980 because of the FFXI problems, and I don't want to deal with that again.

Obviously, I'd like to be able to use a nvidia card. Does anyone have any personal experience with whether these issues are still present on the 1070, 1080, or any other more recent cards? Confirmation of consistant performance from a recent AMD card would be great too, but I would assume they work fine since the issue has always seemed to be exclusively nvidia.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By Verda 2016-09-17 09:33:49
Link | Citer | R

Radeon ASUS R9 280 here, never have software crashes. I always preferred ATI ever since early 2000's I bought an nvidia that was very expensive top of the line and it had heat problems and stability issues. ATI might not always have the latest greatest but imo for the price and stability you can take a few steps down most the time and end up with a better deal and more stable system. *shrug* That said I know lots of people that have done well with nvidia, you said an ATI testimonial is helpful too, unfortunately that's about all I can offer, good luck.

Also I realize this one is a bit dated now, it can still pull over 70 fps on higher resolutions according to vga charts tho.
 Sylph.Reain
Serveur: Sylph
user: dmregm
By Sylph.Reain 2016-09-17 09:45:18
Link | Citer | R

I picked up a 1070 2 days ago so it's too early to say for TDRs but none so far.

Issues I've noticed (Win 10 Pro +Nvidia driver 372.70 + Windower)
Adobe Flash in Firefox instantly crashes FFXI.
Alt+Tabbing ocassionally doesn't display the taskbar. Pressing Windows Key makes it appear.
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-09-17 09:46:51
Link | Citer | R

Flash crashing Firefox has happened since FF updated to 41 or 42? I forget since I stopped using it. But, it happened to AMD as well
By Verda 2016-09-17 11:03:45
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Mozilla isn’t taking any chances after the discovery that Hacking Team, the recently breached surveillance software maker, had three working exploits for Adobe Flash. The open source organization decided to block all versions of the Flash Player plugin up to version 18.0.0.203 on Windows. Mozilla said Flash would remain on the Firefox blocklist until Adobe fixes all known vulnerabilities.

For that and other reasons Flash is often blocked totally in firefox so I'm confused. I have heard complaints of any browser crashing due to some of the flash ads on the wikia. If you have a good adblocker on for that site, it doesn't crash you though.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2016-09-17 11:09:26
Link | Citer | R

I just got an AMD RX480 and it has been a shitshow, so I can at least direct you away from that.
 Leviathan.Andret
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2016-09-17 11:25:23
Link | Citer | R

I am currently using Geforce 980 and I didn't actually get any crash. What I do get is that sometimes the graphics would completely freeze for a couple seconds (3s~6s+) upon any activation of JA, spell or calling a trust - and it doesn't always occur. It only seem to happen once per login.

I am using something called Voodoo warpper on my laptop which runs Nvidia 840m. It forces nvidia to use its GPU instead of passing the graphics to Intel. Not too sure if it can fix the overall problem with Nvidia.
 Sylph.Feary
Serveur: Sylph
user: feary
By Sylph.Feary 2016-09-17 12:19:22
Link | Citer | R

i just built a 1070 pc. the issue i had was it will random crash the game when browsing. Basically the game would crash when using firefox and alt-tabbing or playing video and sometimes randomly ( i think it was related to video playback.

there is also a thread on it.

i have switched to chrome and hasn't occurred.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-09-17 13:50:35
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Feary said: »
i just built a 1070 pc. the issue i had was it will random crash the game when browsing. Basically the game would crash when using firefox and alt-tabbing or playing video and sometimes randomly ( i think it was related to video playback.

there is also a thread on it.

i have switched to chrome and hasn't occurred.
I use chrome anyway, so that's not an issue. Have you managed to leave XI logged in for multiple days without the old TDR issue the prior series had? Any unexplained crashes to note? How long have you had it?

Sorry to bombard with questions, the information just isn't readily available and most FFXI players aren't using the newest hardware yet.
 Asura.Sechs
Serveur: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-09-17 13:58:32
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Reain said: »
Alt+Tabbing ocassionally doesn't display the taskbar. Pressing Windows Key makes it appear.
This is an issue with the latest Windows 10 patch, nothing to do with FFXI =/
By SkyFrog 2016-09-17 14:24:23
Link | Citer | R

Is everyone w/ these crashes seeing the following:

Terminated as error occurred in FINAL FANTASY XI. An error has occurred.(Error code: FFXI-9001)(-1)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.