AGW Theory - Discussion
First Page 2 ... 39 40 41
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-01 10:32:10
Link | Citer | R

This thread per request and to alleviate debates in the Random P&R thread is for general discussion / debates / graphs / etc. on AGW (man made global warming) Theory.

Want to provide evidence of its existence, question that evidence, etc.?

Do it here.

Let's see how this goes.

Keep it relatively civil so I don't have to de-main it!
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-09-01 10:35:41
Link | Citer | R

Previous Climate Change/AGW Thread for reference.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-01 10:37:29
Link | Citer | R

And introducing the thread mascot!

[+]
By fonewear 2015-09-01 10:39:38
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Far as I"m concerned that is all the proof I need !
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-09-01 12:58:34
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »

Far as I"m concerned that is all the proof I need !

You mean that we'll all turn Blue from Cosmic Rays and he's from the future?

k

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-01 14:23:56
Link | Citer | R

Anthropogenic global warming theory is a scam fostered on the world in order to promote various statist/autheitarian agendas.

/thread
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-01 14:32:28
Link | Citer | R

The effects of Global Warming will not happen even in our great grandchildren's lifetimes.

/thread
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-09-01 14:33:58
Link | Citer | R

I'm glad we're off to a solid evidence based discussion here...
[+]
By fonewear 2015-09-01 14:50:53
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »

And what exactly were you expecting a dissertation by internet scholars ?
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-09-01 14:51:45
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
Odin.Jassik said: »

And what exactly were you expecting a dissertation by internet scholars ?

What I hope for and what I expect obviously aren't the same thing.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-01 15:24:44
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
We should change the name of the thread to "man is just a myth propagated by weather conspiracy theorists"

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Anthropogenic global warming theory is a scam fostered on the world in order to promote various statist/autheitarian agendas.

/thread

I love when the world makes up its own global temperatures. It is like the joy of waiting for Leaping Lizzy to pop and getting the claim.

This is just like those toothpaste companies pushing their plague conspiracy on us to forward their agenda of selling toothpaste to us we don't need!

I should keep statistics on what percentage of your posts actually make sense.

Hmm, down to 28% now. Come on, buddy. I know you can bring those numbers up!
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-09-01 15:32:09
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The effects of Global Warming will not happen even in our great grandchildren's lifetimes.

/thread
This isn't true...we already have sweeping changes across the globe that leave most countries completely unprepared to weather conditions they weren't used to before. Including crops.
Many animal species are already migrating/reproducing less depending on where they are cause they can't live in the same conditions anymore.

Like I said last time, go ahead and question man's influence all you want, but let's at least not deny the obvious. Regressing to the basics isn't going to help the discussion.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-09-01 15:48:06
Link | Citer | R

The weather patterns in New Zealand have changed radically in the past 10 years. During my lifetime, the worst thing about winter was the wind and rain, thunderstorms were usually limited to sheet lightning (actual lightning strikes were unheard of), there were no tornadoes, the only snowfall the North Island experienced was at Tongariro National Park (middle of the North Island), and at best, summer was mildly warm.

Now, tornadoes happen fairly frequently in certain areas, lightning strikes have become common, summer temperatures have increased, winter usually brings some degree of flooding in multiple locations, and the last time I was there, it snowed in the freaking capital city of Wellington. There were people everywhere taking pictures with their cellphones because it never happens.

As Seha said, the degree of mankinds' effect on climate change may be up for debate, but the fact that climate-is-a-changing is not.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-09-01 15:57:55
Link | Citer | R

I really think this is a bad forum to be discussing climate change. We need to look to our role models, the leaders in the field, for inspiration. Therefore, I propose that we do as they do.

Let's all board our private planes that can burn over 300 gallons of fuel an hour and head to Switzerland to hold a conference about it.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-09-01 16:03:56
Link | Citer | R

I really think this is a bad forum to be discussing climate change. We need to look to our role models, the leaders in the field, for inspiration. Therefore, I propose that we do as they do.

Let's all board our private planes that can burn over 300 gallons of fuel an hour and head to Switzerland to hold a conference about it.

At least they're carpooling!
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-09-01 16:08:43
Link | Citer | R

I kind of wish scientists would stop pissing around with the debate of whether or not mankind is responsible. Whether we are or not, we at least need to formulate how we're going to deal with it, especially if the trend continues.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Serveur: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-09-01 16:11:26
Link | Citer | R

I thought Pleebo already had a thread for this:
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/43080/us-climate-has-already-changed-study-finds/
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-09-01 16:12:26
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Endoq said: »
2nd post, and people are ignoring it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-09-01 16:20:20
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Endoq said: »
Read carefully over the last few pages and you'll see why and how this thread is different and inevitably needed.

Answer:
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Serveur: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-09-01 16:43:45
Link | Citer | R

Gonna grab my list of links from the other thread, of particular relevance would be the first 3 links. Again, sorry they're just abstracts, but I can try to dig up more if people are interested (and preferably civil).Also gonna bring up the 3 points of contention I think revolve around this whole debate:

1) The media does a shitty job representing the information, which is something I think both sides would agree on. The result is that there's room for people to correct misconceptions through data.
2) Questioning the data and reports, which is valid, but does also require that you actually read the information and understand what is being said. Disregarding it without either pointing out a intrinsic flaw or having sourced data that disproves it is silly on both sides.
3) The economic factors, which I maintain is the real reason there's even a disagreement. Who profits, who loses, the technological developments, the politics behind it all, and ultimately, whether you think our species has become too industrious or not. This is really a million things, I guess, and pretty much revolving around your standpoint on the science and likely your political views.

/needle
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Mosin
Serveur: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-09-01 17:22:08
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I kind of wish scientists would stop pissing around with the debate of whether or not mankind is responsible. Whether we are or not, we at least need to formulate how we're going to deal with it, especially if the trend continues.

this is where I've always been on the topic. Let's not argue about how we got here, let's argue about where we're going.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Serveur: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-09-01 17:51:35
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Mosin said: »

this is where I've always been on the topic. Let's not argue about how we got here, let's argue about where we're going.
The reason for why the source matters would be whether or not certain activities (most well-known being fossil fuel combustion) are responsible. By accepting that humans are responsible means that these activities need to be curbed in some manner; if humans aren't to blame, then the argument would be against such curbing, and only respond to the symptoms. This is, of course, disregarding other impacts of these activities, like ocean acidification.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-01 18:03:54
Link | Citer | R

The weather patterns in New Zealand have changed radically in the past 10 years. During my lifetime, the worst thing about winter was the wind and rain, thunderstorms were usually limited to sheet lightning (actual lightning strikes were unheard of), there were no tornadoes, the only snowfall the North Island experienced was at Tongariro National Park (middle of the North Island), and at best, summer was mildly warm.

Now, tornadoes happen fairly frequently in certain areas, lightning strikes have become common, summer temperatures have increased, winter usually brings some degree of flooding in multiple locations, and the last time I was there, it snowed in the freaking capital city of Wellington. There were people everywhere taking pictures with their cellphones because it never happens.

As Seha said, the degree of mankinds' effect on climate change may be up for debate, but the fact that climate-is-a-changing is not.
Greenland was called Greenland because it was quite warm when it was discovered.

Climate has been changing throughout human history.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-09-01 18:06:54
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Greenland was called Greenland because it was quite warm when it was discovered.

Climate has been changing throughout human history.

Patently false. The Greenland ice sheet is at least 400,000 years old. It was named Greenland to make it sound more attractive to potential colonists. 1000 years ago, when it was first colonized by Europeans, Greenland was every bit the cold place it is today, possibly even colder.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-09-01 18:09:57
Link | Citer | R

What the media wont tell you about global warming.
[+]
First Page 2 ... 39 40 41