Man Sued By STATE For Posting State Laws

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Man Sued by STATE For Posting State Laws
Man Sued by STATE For Posting State Laws
First Page 2
 Siren.Lordgrim
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2015-07-28 07:51:02
Link | Citer | R

Corporations Own and Write The Laws
YouTube Video Placeholder

Quote:
David Knight breaks down a new story coming out of Georgia where a man is being sued by the state for posting state laws on his website.

Link for below

Georgia sues man for posting annotated state laws online

Quote:
You might think that legislation should be freely accessible as a matter of course, but the state of Georgia begs to differ. It's suing Public.Resource.Org owner Carl Malamud for allegedly violating copyright by publishing the annotated versions of Georgia's laws (that is, the ones that truly reflect the legislative process) online. While it's fine to publish the basic, note-free laws, the state argues that you should pay Lexis Nexis up to $378 to read the context-laden versions. The state claims that it would have to dip into tax dollars if it wanted to make this information free, and citizens would supposedly be deprived of "valuable analysis and guidance" if it wasn't published at all.

Malamud isn't likely to back down. He has long argued that the US discourages copyright on laws, since you have the right to know what your legislature is doing. He also fended off earlier pressure from Oregon to remove documents from his site. However, there's no certainty that Malamud will succeed this time around. He's undoubtedly publishing unauthorized scans -- his only chance might be to convince the court that Georgia is abusing copyright when it puts some of its public record behind a paywall.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-07-28 07:55:24
Link | Citer | R

Like everything from infowars, it doesn't even come close to the full story.

Lawsuit is against copyright infringement of annotated state laws, not for posting actual state laws.

So, try again next time. Maybe this will be proof to you how idiotic infowars is.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-28 07:57:40
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Lawsuit is against copyright infringement of annotated state laws, not for posting actual state laws.

So, try again next time. Maybe this will be proof to you how idiotic infowars is.

Beaten to it. But yeah.

It's amazing the way some people scream "wake up and see the truth!" while they readily eat what's spoonfed to them by people peddling garbage for advertising revenue.

And that's just the mainstream news...let alone with sites like things get into.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-07-28 07:58:41
Link | Citer | R

This is an interesting lawsuit, curious to see how it goes.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-07-28 07:59:59
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »

Beaten to it. But yeah.

It's amazing the way some people scream "wake up and see the truth!" while they readily eat what's spoonfed to them by people peddling garbage for advertising revenue.

And that's just the mainstream news...let alone with sites like things get into.
"Open your eyes and don't buy into the sheeple mainstream media ***. Buy into our brand of sheeple conspiracy theory *** instead"™
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-28 08:04:12
Link | Citer | R

I think LordGrim should be rewarded with his own forum, where he can post all of his conspiracy theories whenever he likes.

Just as long as it doesn't appear on the "Latest Topics" feed... But don't tell him that...
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-07-28 08:06:13
Link | Citer | R

Tin foil hats for everyone!

Or to be specific, tin foil fedora!

[+]
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-07-28 08:14:28
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Atheryn said: »
I think LordGrim should be rewarded with his own forum, where he can post all of his conspiracy theories whenever he likes.

So, a blog.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-28 08:15:15
Link | Citer | R

Beaten to it. But yeah.

"Open your eyes and don't buy into the sheeple mainstream media ***. Buy into our brand of sheeple conspiracy theory *** instead"™

You had me at sheeple and mainstream media !
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-28 08:17:55
Link | Citer | R

Hell with the war on food I'm worried about this:

War on women !

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Ramyrez 2015-07-28 08:19:04
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Tidis said: »
Or to be specific, tin foil fedora!

Now, now. To be specific, it'd be a tinfoil trilby.

The regular old fedora isn't as well-loved by meninists and conspiracy nuts.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-28 08:19:47
Link | Citer | R

Women break free from the shackles of your kitchen take back your rights !
By fonewear 2015-07-28 08:20:58
Link | Citer | R

Isn't using war as a metaphor for food women etc disrespectful to men that die in real wars...but who would want to honor veterans. That is crazy talk !
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-28 08:22:28
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »

So, a blog.

You missed the fine print ;)
By Ramyrez 2015-07-28 08:24:57
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
but who would want to honor veterans.

Are you kidding?

People won't shut up about them.

I know veterans who get sick of hearing about how much we love our veterans.

The problem is everyone is all talk.

As soon as it comes time to give them any benefits, people just want their taxes to be lower instead.

That's a different topic though, best kept away from Lordgrim's brand of crazy.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-28 08:27:07
Link | Citer | R

War on women is similar though it is a media contrived distraction meant to keep people from caring about real issues.

War on women men food taxes etc. (i.e. conspiracy theories)
By fonewear 2015-07-28 08:27:29
Link | Citer | R

So, a blog.

You missed the fine print ;)

You expect people to read ? Your expectations of P and R are too high !
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-07-28 08:39:57
Link | Citer | R

Just as long as it doesn't appear on the "Latest Topics" feed... But don't tell him that...
I think so too.

And I also think that this is a good time to institute a way to prevent threads from certain forums from populating if the user wishes to ignore it. That way, only 3 people will pay attention to that forum section.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-07-28 08:41:45
Link | Citer | R

Fine, I'll make it easy for everyone.

Give LordGrim his own forum.

Call it "LordGrim's Important American News Bulletins" or something official like that.

Tweak his account so that forum is the only place he can post. Ever.

Flag the forum so any posts made there are permanently demained.

Oh, and then block access to that forum for anyone who isn't LordGrim.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-07-28 08:42:57
Link | Citer | R

Oh, and then block access to that forum for anyone who isn't LordGrim, charlo, and Ryanx.
ftfy, because those are the only 3 batshit crazy people here.
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-07-28 08:45:11
Link | Citer | R

I think so too.

And I also think that this is a good time to institute a way to prevent threads from certain forums from populating if the user wishes to ignore it. That way, only 3 people will pay attention to that forum section.

There's work being done on a 'subscription' style setup, but it's still some unconnected shards on the floor of my home directory.

Not that it matters to this, because I'm not adding a 'Raving Lunacy' forum section in the first place. We already have the Puppetmaster forums for that.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-07-28 08:46:27
Link | Citer | R

Not that it matters to this, because I'm not adding a 'Raving Lunacy' forum section in the first place. We already have the Puppetmaster forums for that.
Almost spit out my drink.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-07-28 08:52:40
Link | Citer | R

Then force him to post only in those forums.

I think we would all love to know how the price of attachments is really a ploy by the Federal Reserve to create FEMA camps to instill debt slavery for the benefit of Hydra.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-07-28 09:06:48
Link | Citer | R

Bwahaha.

Yes.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-28 13:58:38
Link | Citer | R

Government took my soul. They said it was property of the Disney Corporation. Who knew.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-28 14:01:30
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Government took my soul. They said it was property of the Disney Corporation. Who knew.

I'm owned by 20th century Fox. I bought one of their DVD's it is in the fine print !
By Ramyrez 2015-07-28 14:08:16
Link | Citer | R

I think Disney owes me some money somehwere along the line for my attraction to redheads. The Little Mermaid should not have been made available to impressionable young boys.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-07-28 14:39:14
Link | Citer | R

I read an
article about this earlier today.
It is a bit more complicated than it initially sounds. It should be interesting to see how the court rules.

Quote:
The annotations include things such as the names and a brief paragraph summary of relevant caselaw concerning the specific law being annotated. So, the first question is can this be covered by copyright? Most likely the answer is yes, if a limited kind of copyright. There is some creative choice in selecting what to cover and how to cover it, though significant parts of it are factual (names of cases and whatnot). As some pointed out, LexisNexis competitor WestLaw also offers its own annotated code of the state and sells it itself, and pretty much everyone is comfortable with the copyright there.

So, what's different here? Well, for one, part of the deal with LexisNexis is that after writing the work, the company transfers the copyright to the state itself. Some have pointed to the fact that under federal copyright law the federal government cannot get copyright on works of its own creation, but that does not really apply here in two separate ways. First, there's some dispute over whether or not those same rules apply to state governments as well -- with many arguing that without it being explicit, states can copyright their own creative works. The second issue, though, is that even under federal copyright law, if a third party/contractor creates the work and then assigns the copyright to the government, then even the federal government can keep and use that copyright. And, that's clearly the situation here.

So, yes, it's reasonable to argue that the original annotations should and did receive copyright protection. And it's also reasonable to argue that the state technically still has control over that copyright upon assignment by LexisNexis. From there, however, the legal issues get a bit more cloudy. The state of Georgia still does call the resulting publication the "Official Code of Georgia Annotated." And at the very least, at that point, you have to wonder why any aspect of the "official" laws of Georgia should be covered by copyright. Indeed, as LexisNexis points out on its own site, this "copyright" covered version of the law is "essential" to understanding the law and includes "guidance from the Georgia Code Commission."

The Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA) provides users with the official Georgia statutes, fully annotated and including guidance from the Georgia Code Commission. If you live or work in Georgia, the OCGA is the essential reference you need to guide you quickly and efficiently in understanding the Georgia statutory scheme

Furthermore, multiple parts of the Georgia government refer to the OCGA as the law of Georgia, rather than the unannotated version. Just as two quick examples, the Georgia Department of Community Affairs cites the OGCA to explain Georgia's construction codes, rather than the unannotated law. And the Department of Banking and Finance insists that:

Laws governing entities regulated by the Department are primarily found in the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (O.C.G.A.) Title 7.

In other words, basically everyone in the Georgia government is saying that if you want to know the laws of Georgia, the OCGA is the only way to do so. And that raises serious questions about whether or not it should be allowed to lock up such text under copyright. The big question is if the OCGA is an "edict of government," as the US Copyright Office has declared such to be not copyrightable "for reasons of public policy."

Edicts of government, such as judicial opinions, administrative rulings, legislative enactments, public ordinances, and similar official legal documents are not copyrightable for reasons of public policy. This applies to such works whether they are Federal, State, or local as well as to those of foreign governments.

Given how the state of Georiga touts the OCGA as being "essential" and various government agencies directly cite it as where to find out about the laws that may apply to you, it seems reasonable to argue that the "Official Code of Georgia Annotated" is an "edict of government" and thus "not copyrightable for reasons of public policy."
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-07-28 14:42:41
Link | Citer | R

I think Disney owes me some money somehwere along the line for my attraction to redheads. The Little Mermaid should not have been made available to impressionable young boys.
Wow, I never realized just how much the Disney Corporation does own my soul.
[+]
By fonewear 2015-07-28 14:44:00
Link | Citer | R

Disney has been corrupting minors for as long as I can remember.

Just look at how many young girls want to be a princess !
[+]
First Page 2