Making FFXI An Offline Game.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Making FFXI an Offline Game.
Making FFXI an Offline Game.
First Page 2 3 4 5
By volkom 2015-05-25 11:21:23
Link | Citer | R

is it going to be a full mobile only thing. or can you still play via pc?
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-25 11:22:34
Link | Citer | R

Not without emulation.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-05-25 11:34:22
Link | Citer | R

And the whole loss of character data thing is the clincher for me. How hard would it be to recognize and reward previously paying users by allowing them to keep what they've earned?

Oh wait, they want you to resub and pay again to have a semblance of what you once possessed.
[+]
By nyheen 2015-05-25 11:34:46
Link | Citer | R

honestly FFXI already 90% offline rpg with a online monthly subscription. now n days you can solo or trust npc your way through so many things. when i look back at all them older videos i done, most was before the broken igear, iam like wow, things changed, everything can be mostly kill under 30 sec or less, with little to no problem. sorry to say this guys but sooner or later, it gonna be a offline mode with the way it going.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-05-25 11:56:27
Link | Citer | R

volkom said: »
is it going to be a full mobile only thing. or can you still play via pc?

Both, technically. Intended for phones and mobile devices, but you can easily get an android emulator to do it on your PC, like people do with Record Keeper and other games. The original XI will still exist without major updates for PC through POL, and the native app as they're calling it will be mobile (with the option of emulating to your PC) and be reworked to be even more solo friendly.

Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
And the whole loss of character data thing is the clincher for me. How hard would it be to recognize and reward previously paying users by allowing them to keep what they've earned?

Oh wait, they want you to resub and pay again to have a semblance of what you once possessed.

But that's not entirely true. Matsui said that in order for people to go to the new client with existing stuff, they're gonna have to hand over their info like payment and account to Nexon in order to transfer it all over. Matsui even said they're going to be working hard to get everything up to Rhaspodies ported over ASAP, so this isn't a real point of concern.

On a previous point, Matsui even said there isn't gonna be crazy pay to win antics in the mobile version, and specifically shot down REM being obtainable in that manner. Seeing as the mobile version will be using stuff like the new KIs from Rhaspodies, I would assume REM has been redesigned with the idea of "grinding currency while taking transit to and from work / school", and obviously poop socking here in the states.

Really, XI has been conditioned as a F2P kind of game for the past year or two, under the guise of QoL adjustments, like the never ending login campaigns, or adjustments to difficulty of obtaining gear and completing tasks. This hopefully bodes well for the mobile version, since outside of being hosted on a different set of server s than the PC version, indications are showing it may be free to play to a degree, based on the recent trends within the game. They can do scummy stuff like sell fashion items / trusts / new expansion or scenarios while supporting what should be a rather low key expedition. They could go as far as to have paid only jobs like Time Mage or something I've begged for for years, and honestly, it'd be alright on mobile due to the nature of the market.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-05-25 12:13:23
Link | Citer | R

That sounds like what I read, but it seems there may be a possibility that something can carry over. They get a crossroad decision of "If we let everything carry over, the game is going to have to be carried by the new players and assisted by the veterans" or "let them all start fresh, people have asked for a legacy server for years", so that is something to wonder about.

The mobile version actually has the potential I feel to be the offline version people are seeking, since it is going to be redone to allow even more ease of soloing content, and I feel will be more readily documented with how it functions. The PC version of XI is some Frankenstein monster of coding due to its PS2 origins, while this mobile version should be a neat and clean PC created version. Aside from the obvious hacks of Gillionaire status and likely people spoofing their own private servers down the road, it shall be interesting to see what the community can do with it.

Also, the "welcome back" item for that transfer will probably just be something like a level 1 garment to "display pride as a long time XI player", since that would be the most disappointing way possible, short of a one time item like candy or something with flavor text from the MHMU.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-05-25 12:21:08
Link | Citer | R

There is absolutely NO reason why I should have to supply sensitive information in the form of my credit card number in order to transfer or retain so much as a nanobyte of character data.

POL IDs exist for a reason.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-05-25 12:29:12
Link | Citer | R

Because you're changing services, technically. If you go from Time Warner to Bell South, you're gonna have to present information to them.

These are the issues SE and Nexon are ironing out with that. Your current stuff will forever be on the SE servers, but the mobile version is on Nexon servers.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2015-05-25 12:32:33
Link | Citer | R

But if it's not subscription based, there is no reason to have my payment information on file.

We don't know for sure what kind of system they're going to use, and I for one will not simply hand over CC info for a game that doesn't require it for a monthly sub fee.

My character info isn't tied to my method of payment.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-25 13:56:41
Link | Citer | R

It kinda went undetected at the time but turned out the guy said the truth! Well, more or less...
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
By missdivine 2015-05-25 14:42:08
Link | Citer | R

Isn't an offline game already?
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-05-25 14:48:33
Link | Citer | R

If anything, likely just a low level grunt that was translating the Rhaspodies announcement in advance, since that event was a big enough deal to have SE's president appear at a pricey venue to announce the details, so it was clearly planned ahead. The date of that post is March 17th, the announcement for Rhaspodies and the end of PS2/360 support in March 2016 was made on March 19th by SE.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/vanaproj/teaser/index.html

His insider info is faulty on the guesstimate of when things go poof, but perhaps this person is still floating around to give some nuggets of wisdom? Or is it really just that the writing is that clearly on the wall these days?

My ballpark is that the current version goes offline within a year's time of the final update in November, due to everyone getting those final goals finished up and having less reason to pay a sub for a game with no new content, and SE spins it as a grand PR event about the closing of a chapter, and ushers people towards the mobile app and that spinoff app to continue the story of Vana'diel.

If I'm wrong, then I suppose we'll meet after school on the Diorama Abdalajis-Ghelsba playground? I guarantee you that's a feature that likely won't make it into any future version of XI, since they'd have to put in NPCs with skills and gear and stuff.
 Asura.Vinedrius
Serveur: Asura
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-05-25 14:51:40
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Problem with taking ideas from players is they don't give good ideas 98% of the time. Even in this thread you already see people suggesting not ways to improve FFXI soloability, but mechanics that make it another game entirely...if you want a true FFXI single player the game should remain the same, just scaled down because there would be only one person with npcs(and coop at best).
If you change the game then it's not FFXI, just make a new one entirely.

edit: not that SE has had awesome ideas either lately..

The game wasn't designed around soloability either, not at all. Doors you need several people to open... Those are more than enough evidence about their initial mindset and they were adamantly sticking to the plan until recently.

Turning the game into a solo experience is already "changing the game" without even touching the core battle system. Not to mention, running around with several imaginary friends feels so schizophrenic after some time...
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-05-25 14:53:53
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Josiahfk said: »
Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
But if it's not subscription based, there is no reason to have my payment information on file.

We don't know for sure what kind of system they're going to use, and I for one will not simply hand over CC info for a game that doesn't require it for a monthly sub fee.

My character info isn't tied to my method of payment.
Yeah that is the ultimate in shady business practices.

"this game is free to play and download but we require an active credit card on your file to register."

They are probably requiring a credit card so that you can pay for all of the optional mobile-phonish content.
 Lakshmi.Chilzen
By Lakshmi.Chilzen 2015-05-25 15:03:11
Link | Citer | R

They did a pretty good job spit balling that info, so worse comes to worse, I might know who can give a 1/10 chance of having the winning bonanza marble numbers with that kind of accuracy. That, or cosmic coincidence.

This thread also caused me to remember that they got that other app nobody even cares about coming out, with the badly stylized art that really hammers home cheap phone game.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-25 15:09:02
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Vinedrius said: »
Problem with taking ideas from players is they don't give good ideas 98% of the time. Even in this thread you already see people suggesting not ways to improve FFXI soloability, but mechanics that make it another game entirely...if you want a true FFXI single player the game should remain the same, just scaled down because there would be only one person with npcs(and coop at best).

The game wasn't designed around soloability either, not at all. Doors you need several people to open... Those are more than enough evidence about their initial mindset and they were adamantly sticking to the plan until recently.

Turning the game into a solo experience is already "changing the game" without even touching the core battle system. Not to mention, running around with several imaginary friends feels so schizophrenic after some time...
What are you talking about? This a thread about a single player version of FFXI, and that's what I was referencing.
Guide Maker
By Seha 2015-05-25 15:13:28
Link | Citer | R

Verda said: »
All they said was the game is going to die like everyone repeats here constantly, they just rationalized it and said it nicer and gave a false date. I don't see any foresight in it really luck maybe at the announcement. The numbers I've seen people run too show it would still be making quite a bit of money a month too even as is right now. I get the impression that it isn't making as much as SE would like though and they wish to relight its userbase with a new native app. however, I feel some of the push at least comes from the dev team who all but said they're absolutely sick of working on ffxi and don't want that to be the sum of their entire career.
If you mean the guy I quoted, he was actually spot on about the team just being told by the higher ups that resources had to be pulled. Up till that point the FFXI dev team actually kept working on updates unaware.

At least, that's the story we're given, still the guy was 70% right. Just saying maybe he wasn't some idiot talking.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-05-25 15:18:33
Link | Citer | R

Whether they want to work on other things on not is irrelevant if they knew they had to keep working on this until a last minute call.
 Asura.Vinedrius
Serveur: Asura
user: Devrom
By Asura.Vinedrius 2015-05-25 15:19:52
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Vinedrius said: »

What are you talking about? This a thread about a single player version of FFXI, and that's what I was referencing.

Verda said: »
Not that I can speak for them but I interpreted it as they were just pointing out that single word in your post rather than replying to it in total and commenting on the thread in general and ppl saying that it is a solo game already or that it would take minimal change.

Well said, thanks. I couldn't have explained myself better than you did it for me XD

Edit: I am aware that this thread is about a single player FFXI. What I am saying is; making the game a complete solo experience (aka offline mode) with hardly any change to core mechanics is already enough change to see it as a different game, because the game was never meant to be played solo outside starter areas.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Amymy
user: Amymy
By Lakshmi.Amymy 2015-05-25 15:48:11
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I agree fully with Kojo, and just wanted to add this to his ilvl system observation.

We have stayed too long under the 75 cap, along with some of the best gear being rare due to time limitations (Nidhogg's 3-7 day pop with a very very VERY small chance of an E body Abj. drop, then saving up millions to buy the -1 cursed body), some that require competent people to kill (aka Kirin 75 era), or just some out of the way requirements (farming 5 eyes, having an alchemist make a cluster, finding 17 competent people doing the same, going down to the vast recesses of hell Den, and hope that they don't disband before your turn to pop).

That's the main reason why these items were good. It wasn't because of the stats on them, it was the effort, the tears, the bloodshed, and the linkshells breaking after their leader got the ***they wanted and were punks who decided that nobody else should get the ***they got.

The ilvl system pretty much destroyed that, where you can get moderate gear with less than no effort. Which killed the game for most of us.

It would have killed the game for me if I need to drag 17 people and wait 3-7 days for a small chance to get a for example "acro set"

People are older now. The times of 3-6 hours a day ffxi is over. We adults now with job or/and family.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2015-05-25 18:11:40
Link | Citer | R

The mobile version will essentially be single player ffxi, and when it's terrible we'll all blame it on nexon.