Microsoft Gives Away Windows 10 'free' Upgrade

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Microsoft gives away Windows 10 'free' upgrade
Microsoft gives away Windows 10 'free' upgrade
 Bahamut.Milamber
Serveur: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-01-21 18:09:43
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »
People just don't know how to use 8.1, mostly. It's very usable, easily the most accessible version in recent memory. Its tools are just not right in your face for good reason.
I've been using computers for almost 30 years now. I've used them in personal, business, military, scientific, and engineering contexts. I've worked with most publicly OSes available in that timespan.

The "Its ok, you just don't know how to use it" always gets my goat.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 18:12:36
Link | Citer | R

Now Billy, show us on this doll where the bad man touched you:

Shiva.Katharyn
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Katharyn 2015-01-21 18:13:04
Link | Citer | R

Windows 10 is actually pretty decent.
I've only had problems with 2 software pieces thus far (and my numlock key doesn't work since the new build 9879.) Halo 2, and Nexus mod manager.

The former works but has stuttering and jerking issues in general and esp when moving, and the main menu screen is doing weird things. The latter doesn't work at all. I really need to do more testing with older games and software, but nothing built for windows 7 has had issues, except the 2 notes above.

It's really what 8 should have been had microsoft cared at the time to grab the average computer user who doesn't know what they're doing at all, and is easily scared away from such a weird, and quite frankly radical design for a standard computer.

Regardless of how decent windows 8 is, it's a public flop. 10 seems to keep to microsofts tradition of every other OS being something that could be another with the public. It's just if microsoft stays the same course and actually pulls it off.

But so far it seems pretty nice, I've switched almost entirely from 7 to 10's technical preview, I'm definitely going to take up the free upgrade from 7, as long as I don't lose my windows 7 key in the process, or something happens between now and release (which you never know with microsoft) that makes 10 unsuitable.
[+]
By charlo999 2015-01-21 18:19:00
Link | Citer | R

Microsoft giving away PC OS's to expand the empire that it already monopolises. Lol

Reasons
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 18:31:04
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
People just don't know how to use 8.1, mostly. It's very usable, easily the most accessible version in recent memory. Its tools are just not right in your face for good reason.
I've been using computers for almost 30 years now. I've used them in personal, business, military, scientific, and engineering contexts. I've worked with most publicly OSes available in that timespan.

The "Its ok, you just don't know how to use it" always gets my goat.

Considering it does literally everything 7 did and more, the interface is the only reasonable gripe about it. The interface is fine, everything you could ever need is either accessible via the taskbar or can be accessed as fast as you can type by going to the start screen and simply typing the name of whatever you want. Basically every app is available in a desktop version that works exactly like it did in 7, and the entire scheme can be customized. 8 took some getting used to, 8.1 is great.

P.S. I've been using computers for about 30 years as well, have owned all different kinds of machines with every imaginable OS as well. 8.1 is great, even my 70 year old mother now loves 8.1 after learning just a few simple tricks.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 18:34:09
Link | Citer | R

Tell me when you can switch it back to aero without having to use a third party tool, then we'll talk.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 18:37:24
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
Tell me when you can switch it back to aero without having to use a third party tool, then we'll talk.

Integrated 8.1 feature for those who fear change.

Clicky

Also, the Aero Scheme is native to Vista only. Aero style panes are standard in 8.1, though.
 Shiva.Katharyn
By Shiva.Katharyn 2015-01-21 21:04:50
Link | Citer | R

Considering it does literally everything 7 did and more, the interface is the only reasonable gripe about it.

The interface is fine, everything you could ever need is either accessible via the taskbar or can be accessed as fast as you can type by going to the start screen and simply typing the name of whatever you want.

Actually, it's well known, and even windows 10 seems to share some of the problems (I'm not sure to what extent yet), that windows 8 actually has a lot worse software support then 7 (excluding issues related to windows 64bit) specifically related to directx versions prior to 10, as well as other issues, so it's not entirely correct to say it does "everything" 7 did. It does most, but not all, some is better, true, but not everything.

The interface being "fine" is entirely subject to opinion, I would call it workable, but not really good. It's was entirely unintuitive for most users. A steep learning curve is not what sells, even if it can be "gotten used to", it's missing the point.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 21:18:27
Link | Citer | R

Backward compatibility is always an issue, but it's time to move on. There hasn't been a relevant released software using DX9 or older in about 8 years. 8.1 does lack the ability to virtualize programs, but it is more than capable of running in compatibility modes to support virtually everything made for Windows 2000+. I just loaded and was able to play Diablo 1 on my 8.1 machine. It's compatibility troubleshooter works quite well, most people, again, just don't know how to use it.

As for things not being intuitive... I don't remember people complaining that much when 9x was completely different than 3x or that MacOS was completely different than System Software.

If people don't want to learn something new, that's their option, but I despise the idea that there is something wrong with it because you don't want to learn it.
 Shiva.Katharyn
By Shiva.Katharyn 2015-01-21 21:46:43
Link | Citer | R

General software typically doesn't matter, there's usually plenty available to replace older software, with but few exceptions. But for games, backwards compatibility matters for A LOT of gamers, hell that's about 80% of the reason Gog.com even exists.

So it can't just be dismissed because 8.1 functions better. Compatibility has gotten somewhat better then windows 7, but like most things, it isn't perfect, and plenty of things just won't run, and sites like Gog don't cover every game, I have several games on my list not available anywhere, and they only run on XP or older sadly, so their kind of unplayable until Gog or fans remake the engine functional. Installing the software is sometimes as much the task as running it.

Luckily for users now, if a program doesn't run, windows 10 (idk if 8 does it too) will automatically attempt to configure it to run, so the argument they just don't know how to use the program compatibility, is going to fail before long, if it doesn't already.

9x wasn't actually that different functionally from 3.1, features were added but overall it was more or less the same type of functional control.

I can't speak for Mac's OS in between or recently, I haven't used it since elementary school, but the only big jump I remember in PC OS's was from Dos to windows, and the old hard drive-less apples to the macintosh system.

That is until windows 8.
But keep in mind, just because something is new, doesn't mean it's useful. Windows 8 for all it's benefits over 7, was the most unintuitive OS for computers in the last 15 years.

That it can be learned is largely irrelevant for the average user who manages to delete half their hard drive and then tell everyone they don't know how it happened. You can't just say: Learn it and shut up! and be done with it, because you'll fail. It doesn't matter that they should learn something new, it matters that they won't.

No one should be forced to learn something they don't want to, nor is there inherent flaw in that with optional technology, but likewise, companies who wish to make money, should pay attention to what the consumer wants, their the driving force on if something fails, or if it takes off. Microsoft didn't despite complaints from everywhere from average users to professional IT staff, and it bite them in the butt, 10 seems to remedy that problem, and hopefully they'll learn.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 21:53:45
Link | Citer | R

Clicky

Also, the Aero Scheme is native to Vista only. Aero style panes are standard in 8.1, though.
That article is for vista, not 8.

Just an fyi.

Aero is not enabled in 8, and it's not possible without 3rd party tools.

It has nothing to do with "fearing change" when a new OS takes a few steps back.

I really don't give a ***how long you've been using/working with computers or operating systems, you're just wrong on this.

8 sucks.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 21:56:40
Link | Citer | R

As for backwards compatibility, XP has issues running Diablo 2, but 7 it installs and runs without a patch.

At least the version of it I have.

Never been much on the Diablo series anyway, but in general the newer the OS the less compatible it is, and it has to deal with more users than just gamers, it's very costly to corporations too.

Hell I was part of an integration project, that was literally what I did for over a year.

There's no reason to use anything above 7.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 22:01:41
Link | Citer | R

On a side note, I have yet to download the 10 tech preview, I've been slacking on that.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 22:08:24
Link | Citer | R

Clicky

That article is for vista, not 8.

Just an fyi.

It has nothing to do with "fearing change" when a new OS takes a few steps back.

I really don't give a ***how long you've been using/working with computers or operating systems, you're just wrong on this.

8 sucks.

My mistake, I grabbed the wrong bookmark. You can configure a start menu in 8.1, however, there are better ways to organize the tiles.

I have a script that does the same thing on a thumb-drive, but I don't have a good way to host it.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 22:12:53
Link | Citer | R

Yeah: to just not use the tiles, and have classic shell.

There's some 3rd party stuff I will use, and I'm not too opposed to using it to get Aero, just a matter of finding one that doesn't suck.

I don't care at the moment as I gave the laptop as a present, and it's out of my hair now. I have 7 isos, an activator and or plenty of product keys, I'm set.

I wish I had my MSDN account back though, it was nice.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 22:16:50
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Katharyn said: »
General software typically doesn't matter, there's usually plenty available to replace older software, with but few exceptions. But for games, backwards compatibility matters for A LOT of gamers, hell that's about 80% of the reason Gog.com even exists.

So it can't just be dismissed because 8.1 functions better. Compatibility has gotten somewhat better then windows 7, but like most things, it isn't perfect, and plenty of things just won't run, and sites like Gog don't cover every game, I have several games on my list not available anywhere, and they only run on XP or older sadly, so their kind of unplayable until Gog or fans remake the engine functional. Installing the software is sometimes as much the task as running it.

Luckily for users now, if a program doesn't run, windows 10 (idk if 8 does it too) will automatically attempt to configure it to run, so the argument they just don't know how to use the program compatibility, is going to fail before long, if it doesn't already.

9x wasn't actually that different functionally from 3.1, features were added but overall it was more or less the same type of functional control.

I can't speak for Mac's OS in between or recently, I haven't used it since elementary school, but the only big jump I remember in PC OS's was from Dos to windows, and the old hard drive-less apples to the macintosh system.

That is until windows 8.
But keep in mind, just because something is new, doesn't mean it's useful. Windows 8 for all it's benefits over 7, was the most unintuitive OS for computers in the last 15 years.

That it can be learned is largely irrelevant for the average user who manages to delete half their hard drive and then tell everyone they don't know how it happened. You can't just say: Learn it and shut up! and be done with it, because you'll fail. It doesn't matter that they should learn something new, it matters that they won't.

No one should be forced to learn something they don't want to, nor is there inherent flaw in that with optional technology, but likewise, companies who wish to make money, should pay attention to what the consumer wants, their the driving force on if something fails, or if it takes off. Microsoft didn't despite complaints from everywhere from average users to professional IT staff, and it bite them in the butt, 10 seems to remedy that problem, and hopefully they'll learn.

Again, there are plenty of options for people who aren't able or willing to learn something new. There are plenty of options for gamers as well. I currently run FFXI on an XP virtual machine, for reasons other than compatibility, and there are many layers to the compatibility troubleshooter and it's ability to emulate legacy configurations.

I'm sorry, but computers are used for far more than playing old video games, and the enterprise world and the vendors that make their software, are already embracing 8.1 and using virtualization to temporarily support legacy software while new versions are being produced.

The stance people take against 8.1 being different are the same stance people took against the horseless carriage.

Yeah, it's new, it's different, but don't mask their unwillingness as a problem with 8.1.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 22:21:57
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, never got anything to run under the compatibility troubleshooter, except like once.

I don't know what enterprise you're familiar with, but a lot are steering clear of 8.

The issue people have with 8/8.1 is that it sucks, not because it's different, it's because it's different in a bad way.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-01-21 22:22:22
Link | Citer | R

That is until windows 8.

Again, there are plenty of options for people who aren't able or willing to learn something new. There are plenty of options for gamers as well. I currently run FFXI on an XP virtual machine, for reasons other than compatibility, and there are many layers to the compatibility troubleshooter and it's ability to emulate legacy configurations.

I'm sorry, but computers are used for far more than playing old video games, and the enterprise world and the vendors that make their software, are already embracing 8.1 and using virtualization to temporarily support legacy software while new versions are being produced.

The stance people take against 8.1 being different are the same stance people took against the horseless carriage.

Yeah, it's new, it's different, but don't mask their unwillingness as a problem with 8.1.

While I agree with you on principle, WIndows 8.1 being good for companies with dedicated IT support who know how to use Virtuliszation is obviously great for them due to the higher security inherint in the software, that said though a Laymen or average joe bloggs will not know how to do this and will simply be left with a poor service, they should not have driven this into the consumer market so hard, and had they marketed it as a business upgrade it would probably have seen a better transition.

That said, I do support progress in any aspect however you do need to work on how you reveal something to the public to make it more pellet able if you are making it completely new.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 22:27:53
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, never got anything to run under the compatibility troubleshooter, except like once.

I don't know what enterprise you're familiar with, but a lot are steering clear of 8.

The issue people have with 8/8.1 is that it sucks, not because it's different, it's because it's different in a bad way.

It's got the same great personality and a prettier face, sorry dude, that's just not accurate. You're welcome to your opinion, but it isn't fact, and the only reason enterprises are stepping over 8 is because they generally step 2 generations. Ones that were using XP are now using 8, ones that used vista/7 will upgrade directly to 10.

Cerberus.Conagh said: »
While I agree with you on principle, WIndows 8.1 being good for companies with dedicated IT support who know how to use Virtuliszation is obviously great for them due to the higher security inherint in the software, that said though a Laymen or average joe bloggs will not know how to do this and will simply be left with a poor service, they should not have driven this into the consumer market so hard, and had they marketed it as a business upgrade it would probably have seen a better transition.

That said, I do support progress in any aspect however you do need to work on how you reveal something to the public to make it more pellet able if you are making it completely new.

Their marketing department isn't known for it's savvy with consumers, obviously, but a poor rollout and weak support doesn't make 8.1 a bad OS. Hence the old adage, "There's no such thing as a bad product, only a bad salesman."

Aero is native ONLY to Vista. Transparent window borders, 3D tilable windows, taskbar previews, etc, those are all features that can be enabled in 7/8/8.1. The Aero Scheme does not exist outside of Vista.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 22:40:20
Link | Citer | R

lol, whatever you say dude.

Considering it wasn't until the past quarter where 8 and 8.1 combined took over XP's market share, the numbers don't agree with you.

Hell even by your own logic they'd be going from XP to 7, not 8.

Companies don't want 8/8.1, the proof is in the pudding.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 22:43:03
Link | Citer | R

Aero is native ONLY to Vista. Transparent window borders, 3D tilable windows, taskbar previews, etc, those are all features that can be enabled in 7/8/8.1. The Aero Scheme does not exist outside of Vista.
Oh go on then, get the look of 7 in 8, have at it.

I implore you, please prove me wrong.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-21 22:51:03
Link | Citer | R

lol, whatever you say dude.

Considering it wasn't until the past quarter where 8 and 8.1 combined took over XP's market share, the numbers don't agree with you.

Hell even by your own logic they'd be going from XP to 7, not 8.

Companies don't want 8/8.1, the proof is in the pudding.

XP's market share didn't eclipse 98 until well after Vista was out, that's the nature of business IT.

Oh go on then, get the look of 7 in 8, have at it.

I implore you, please prove me wrong.

By the "look" you mean widgets and transparent menus? Sorry, dude, 7 doesn't look like Vista, Vista doesn't look like XP. You're just digging for reasons to dislike 8.1 instead of simply saying you don't like it.
By Jetackuu 2015-01-21 22:59:35
Link | Citer | R

Not at all, but thanks for proving me right yet again.
 Shiva.Katharyn
By Shiva.Katharyn 2015-01-21 23:44:14
Link | Citer | R

I'm a bit confused, what do you mean Aero doesn't exist outside of Vista, when everything you described is exactly what Aero is, and is plainly available in windows 7?

I disagree with your motto, if a product is awful, there's not a salesman in the world who could sell that thing. Hence why it took this long for windows 8 to surpass anything (vista never really did), and thats mostly because 8 counts markets that weren't available to previous OS's.

8 doesn't have the performance problems vista had, but it does have visual problems, which for a race that is entirely visual based in terms of decision making, it really fell flat on it's face for our use.

Doesn't mean it's crap, ME was crap, but 8 has a really bad reputation, and it's going to be a rapidly dying OS in less then a year.

But really? Enterprise is embracing windows 8.1? I've only seen them using 7, some still use XP. I can't possibly see how 8 is going to pick up any room in the corporate markets, esp with 10 on the horizon that promises to be what 8 should have been. The cost of training an entire company of personnel for windows 8 is staggering compared to a few minutes class with 7 (I remember the training class for the switch between microsoft office versions when they changed the whole UI).

8 is a user interface nightmare, and installing 3rd party programs isn't an option due to security risks. It makes no sense for companies to switch or use 8, financial or otherwise.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2015-01-22 00:17:58
Link | Citer | R

I'm a bit confused, what do you mean Aero doesn't exist outside of Vista, when everything you described is exactly what Aero is, and is plainly available in windows 7?

I disagree with your motto, if a product is awful, there's not a salesman in the world who could sell that thing. Hence why it took this long for windows 8 to surpass anything (vista never really did), and thats mostly because 8 counts markets that weren't available to previous OS's.

8 doesn't have the performance problems vista had, but it does have visual problems, which for a race that is entirely visual based in terms of decision making, it really fell flat on it's face for our use.

Doesn't mean it's crap, ME was crap, but 8 has a really bad reputation, and it's going to be a rapidly dying OS in less then a year.

But really? Enterprise is embracing windows 8.1? I've only seen them using 7, some still use XP. I can't possibly see how 8 is going to pick up any room in the corporate markets, esp with 10 on the horizon that promises to be what 8 should have been. The cost of training an entire company of personnel for windows 8 is staggering compared to a few minutes class with 7 (I remember the training class for the switch between microsoft office versions when they changed the whole UI).

8 is a user interface nightmare, and installing 3rd party programs isn't an option due to security risks. It makes no sense for companies to switch or use 8, financial or otherwise.

Aero desktop is a scheme from Vista only. 7 has visual settings that are similar to Aero, but Aero is not native to 7.

Large businesses don't adopt new OS's immediately, they wait until at least a couple service packs are out if not a whole new generation. XP was still supported officially until 2014, any upgrades done in the near future are almost sure to be to 8.1. XP was released in 2001, and was available for retail license until 2014. Consumers can still get licenses for XP today. However, enterprises are using client/server environments, and MS will soon be licensing only 8+ ENT. Companies that wish to buy new licenses will have the option for going to 8/10 or not using Windows.

Microsoft is offering the free upgrade as a stepping stone to outmoding the older OS's. In a way, XP's success has proven to be a problem for MS and PC users in general.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2015-01-22 01:51:17
Link | Citer | R

Haiku or GTFO!
 Asura.Taidis
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Asura
user: tidis
By Asura.Taidis 2015-01-22 03:26:23
Link | Citer | R

I have no problem with people being sceptical about windows 8, it's just different enough to be uncomfortable to use at first but people always portray it as a unusable mistake, far from it. I'm actually curious about Windows 10, if it's 8.1 with a proper start button that I can also right click like in 8.1, then I'm golden.

Now people who still try to make a point for XP and think it's the greatest OS even now, need a punch in the face and strapped down while someone installs Windows 7 on their PC.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2015-01-22 07:16:11
Link | Citer | R

I've said it before, Windows 8 is like the Chewbacca Defense.

Phoenix.Erics
Serveur: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-01-22 07:38:17
Link | Citer | R

Ive been using windows 8 for about 10 months now, it took me a little while to get accustomed to it. I took time to learn the windowskey shortcuts and it was pretty smooth after that. I've had 0 issues installing and running ffxi, or many games on it, nor using any emulators or programs i used to use on 7. I dont use it in a business capacity. I just use my computer for person use, web surfing, games, watching tv & movies. I havent thought about going back to 7 and i dont know if im going to bother with 10, yet.