Obamas War Without Congress Approval

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Obamas war without congress approval
Obamas war without congress approval
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 17 18 19
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-16 00:51:52
Link | Citer | R

I guess I should have added, the many of the smaller, sometimes undocumented cultures and their religions, believed more-so in nature, and the blessings of spirits, rather than a single deity.

Some of the world's biggest, longest standing religious icons, show this to be the case.

Norse Mythology
Greek and Roman Mythology
Most Asian cultures.

Many of more single-deity focused religions were started as a means to cull and control (not necessarily dominate) social aspects to keep order and prevent chaos.

However, the problem lied solely with those in direct power - the scale of corruption the resulted created sects. Certain people were taught to read, and do many things - a blessing to many, and a curse to others.

They would begin to pick and choose, or intentionally mislead with interpretations of the teachings for personal or political gain.

Uniting tribes under this manner, often meant the desire to do horrible things "in the name of God", because fear was (and is) such a powerful tool, as is pain, conquest, and seizure of livelihood and property.
By daemun 2014-09-16 00:52:08
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I occasionally hear people say that, but I can't find anything solid to support the claim. Where are people getting this story from so I can research it?
I had the name at one time after watching a "Christian Debunk" program on Netflix. After a bit of digging around I found it again, and read about him. There were also references to other cultures with deities quite similar to Jesus. I was overwhelmed at first, but the more I studied each, the more they pointed at humanity merely seeing the same thing; just expressing such in different ways.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 00:52:27
Link | Citer | R

So, if I tell a story of an event but screw up on the details, and someone comes around years later and tells the story how it really happened, does that mean they borrowed/stole the story from me?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 00:54:09
Link | Citer | R

daemun said: »
I occasionally hear people say that, but I can't find anything solid to support the claim. Where are people getting this story from so I can research it?
I had the name at one time after watching a "Christian Debunk" program on Netflix. After a bit of digging around I found it again, and read about him. There were also references to other cultures with deities quite similar to Jesus. I was overwhelmed at first, but the more I studied each, the more they pointed at humanity merely seeing the same thing; just expressing such in different ways.

You can make the claim that they were similar, but if you're going to call it borrowed/stolen you're going to need a lot more proof is all I'm saying.
By daemun 2014-09-16 00:57:03
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
There's nothing out of context, and considering the god of the bible is factious and man-made, of course it's not divinely inspired.

This can be logically deduced, but if you're of the belief that your "divine being" can supersede logic, then that concept is too lost on you.

But I don't give a ***how much of an apologist you are, if you're going to sit here and tell me that the god of the bible doesn't condone those evil things, I'm going to laugh at you.
It has been logically deduced that at the point of the big bang, physics worked in almost exact reverse from the law's we currently understand; gravity mainly. Yet, according to you, it's beyond logic to conclude that such an outstanding display of abnormality was not generated by a divine being?

Laugh as you will, I shall still try to convince people that there is a place in their life for both logic and faith to coincide peacefully. As I've stated many times in the past, science is a conceptual statement of the "how", and individual faith is the conceptual statement of the "why". Neither negate one another and they actually mesh quite well at both the macro and micro levels.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-16 00:57:08
Link | Citer | R

There was a Sumerian god that shared many traits with Jesus. Born of a virgin woman, died and rose after three days.

Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
Noah's Ark is a good example. It was story once told in the Epic of Gilgamesh, almost word for word.

There's no proof that the stories didn't evolve from the same account, though. That's to be expected in an era when there was less writing, more storytelling.
There is a huge difference in the underlying principle though, from the stories The Epic of Gilgamesh was penned nearly 1200 years prior to the advent of Christianity, let alone the extra 400 years or so it took to write the bible.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 01:00:03
Link | Citer | R

There was a Sumerian god that shared many traits with Jesus. Born of a virgin woman, died and rose after three days.

Noah's Ark is a good example. It was story once told in the Epic of Gilgamesh, almost word for word.

There's no proof that the stories didn't evolve from the same account, though. That's to be expected in an era when there was less writing, more storytelling.
There is a huge difference in the underlying principle though, from the stories The Epic of Gilgamesh was penned nearly 1200 years prior to the advent of Christianity, let alone the extra 400 years or so it took to write the bible.

Christians didn't originally write the Old Testament, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
By daemun 2014-09-16 01:00:09
Link | Citer | R

I guess I should have added, the many of the smaller, sometimes undocumented cultures and their religions, believed more-so in nature, and the blessings of spirits, rather than a single deity.

Some of the world's biggest, longest standing religious icons, show this to be the case.

Norse Mythology
Greek and Roman Mythology
Most Asian cultures.

Many of more single-deity focused religions were started as a means to cull and control (not necessarily dominate) social aspects to keep order and prevent chaos.

However, the problem lied solely with those in direct power - the scale of corruption the resulted created sects. Certain people were taught to read, and do many things - a blessing to many, and a curse to others.

They would begin to pick and choose, or intentionally mislead with interpretations of the teachings for personal or political gain.

Uniting tribes under this manner, often meant the desire to do horrible things "in the name of God", because fear was (and is) such a powerful tool, as is pain, conquest, and seizure of livelihood and property.
In my quest of searching for Jesus like deities, I ran across and read as much as was available on the internet, about both a South American and Indo-Polynesian small tribal cultures. Respectively, each were quite different, yet their theology still had a very broad sense commonality. It's amazing how two cultures that for all intents and purposes had no direct influence on one another, still viewed birth, life, and death eerily the same.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-16 01:00:51
Link | Citer | R

So, if I tell a story of an event but screw up on the details, and someone comes around years later and tells the story how it really happened, does that mean they borrowed/stole the story from me?

No, but the incredulous nature of the core elements definitely takes the edge off it either way. It is possible that a series of events could result that way for some of the oldest texts, but Jesus was supposedly born millennia after those stories were originally told. They claim a timeline we know for fact isn't possible.

The underlying story of a man with ideals facing persecution while continuing to do good deeds and teaching enlightenment to the masses doesn't have to exist as a literal event bound to a timeline, but that's what Christians have chosen to propagate.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-16 01:04:00
Link | Citer | R

There's nothing out of context, and considering the god of the bible is factious and man-made, of course it's not divinely inspired.

This can be logically deduced, but if you're of the belief that your "divine being" can supersede logic, then that concept is too lost on you.

But I don't give a ***how much of an apologist you are, if you're going to sit here and tell me that the god of the bible doesn't condone those evil things, I'm going to laugh at you.
It has been logically deduced that at the point of the big bang, physics worked in almost exact reverse from the law's we currently understand; gravity mainly. Yet, according to you, it's beyond logic to conclude that such an outstanding display of abnormality was not generated by a divine being?

Laugh as you will, I shall still try to convince people that there is a place in their life for both logic and faith to coincide peacefully. As I've stated many times in the past, science is a conceptual statement of the "how", and individual faith is the conceptual statement of the "why". Neither negate one another and they actually mesh quite well at both the macro and micro levels.
Waiting on this thing to load...

I never stated the former statement, you're putting words in my mouth, there's a difference between "a being" and "the god of the bible."

As for the second part: there isn't a place for blind faith and logic, regular faith: sure.

Here's a starting issue with your statement though: science deals with how and why, not just how...

Not to mention that would be all well and fine if you would stop spreading your blind faith forcibly unto others, and stop pretending they're of equal weight, when they are not, and then get upset when people laugh at one's beliefs when they're made public knowledge of their own volition. I'm not particularly saying you in particular are guilty of these things, but an overwhelming majority are, and it's just sad.

As to the gravity crack: I've read otherwise, so I'd like to see that study, and if it was conclusive or not.

Also nice job deflecting and avoiding answering for your evil god, your apologist skill rose by .3 points.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 01:04:31
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »

No, but the incredulous nature of the core elements definitely takes the edge off it either way. It is possible that a series of events could result that way for some of the oldest texts, but Jesus was supposedly born millennia after those stories were originally told. They claim a timeline we know for fact isn't possible.

The underlying story of a man with ideals facing persecution while continuing to do good deeds and teaching enlightenment to the masses doesn't have to exist as a literal event bound to a timeline, but that's what Christians have chosen to propagate.

You have only vague evidence that his story was copied from more ancient deities. It's a jump to conclusions either way.

Edit: Also, I was referring to the Noah story with my comment, not anything to do with Jesus.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-16 01:08:16
Link | Citer | R

You have only vague evidence that his story was copied from more ancient deities. It's a jump to conclusions either way.

Edit: Also, I was referring to the Noah story with my comment, not anything to do with Jesus.

My point was that the timeline is only relevant to the story because people claim a specific timeframe that we know isn't possible.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 01:14:08
Link | Citer | R

My point was that the timeline is only relevant to the story because people claim a specific timeframe that we know isn't possible.

Elaborate please, I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-09-16 01:16:11
Link | Citer | R

"God is in the gaps." This has been an argument for a long time - that what we currently cannot explain, or do not know, can be explained away by a supreme force. The problem with this idea, and indirectly a difficulty that religion presents, is that it stifles curiosity.

I realize what you're saying though. A divine force could be at work in the creation of things. A divine force could also be the universe itself. There could be more than one divine force. Ascension could be a possibility. There are so many possibilities, and none have any credence until they have evidence to support them.
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-16 01:18:09
Link | Citer | R

Basically, The great flood described in the Bible, didn't physically happen at the time or in that region. There's been geological studies conducted, in the region depicted in the bible, and the land and rock formation, as well as wildlife, and people from historical records, shows it was impossible.

In the story in the Epic of Gilgamesh, in the area depicted, there is geological evidence of a great flood, as well as historical accounts based on the people, wildlife, and geological formations.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 01:23:38
Link | Citer | R

Basically, The great flood described in the Bible, didn't physically happen at the time or in that region. There's been geological studies conducted, in the region depicted in the bible, and the land and rock formation, as well as wildlife, and people from historical records, shows it was impossible.

In the story in the Epic of Gilgamesh, in the area depicted, there is geological evidence of a great flood, as well as historical accounts based on the people, wildlife, and geological formations.

The Biblical location of where Noah resided before the flood is disputed, though. Also, do you have citations for any of this? I'm not arguing, just genuinely curious.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-16 01:24:04
Link | Citer | R

There is also the theory that we're a grand social experiment, where Man (species) has begun it's long road to adulthood by becoming more aware of ourselves, and the intrinsic ideologies that Man (species) will believe many different things at the same time, regardless of distance, in an effort to suppress our own fears and lack of understanding - that something, somewhere, be it divine inspiration, or a fleeting fancy of an advanced race who's simply forgotten about us, in an attempt to make themselves better, by finally entering the childhood phase that *thinks* it's worldly enough to sit at the big universe's table with all the other universes.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-16 01:29:05
Link | Citer | R

The Biblical location of where Noah resided before the flood is disputed, though. Also, do you have citations for any of this? I'm not arguing, just genuinely curious.
It's been specifically mentioned in "Cosmos: A Space/Time Odyssey" explained by Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Also, we weren't discussion or mentioning where Noah himself lived, though that's actually up for less debate, because he lived in the region (though no one can say specifically where and that there's no historical record of Noah, or a man like him, other than in the Epic of Gilgamesh) the Biblical Great Flood occurred
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
By Odin.Jassik 2014-09-16 01:30:41
Link | Citer | R

Bloodrose basically nailed what I was talking about. Sure, there can be differing opinions on what location a passage is referring to, and the original texts have been through multiple levels of translation. I had a list of links somewhere on my old laptop, if I ever end up retrieving data off it, I'll send you a PM. I'm not well versed enough on either the Bible or Torah to cite specific passages and too tired to embark on that right now.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 01:32:20
Link | Citer | R

It's been specifically mentioned in "Cosmos: A Space/Time Odyssey" explained by Neil Degrasse Tyson.

Also, we weren't discussion or mentioning where Noah himself lived, though that's actually up for less debate, because he lived in the region (though no one can say specifically where and that there's no historical record of Noah, or a man like him, other than in the Epic of Gilgamesh) the Biblical Great Flood occurred

Great. Now show me in the Bible exactly where it states the location where the Great Flood took place. Also, boats can move.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 01:53:15
Link | Citer | R

Mmkay, so now we have a few people who think the biblical flood is total nonsense but who think the Gilgamesh flood could be based on a real event, even though they have nothing saying that the biblical flood occurred in a different place. Does anyone here actually research this stuff, or is it just a kneejerk reaction to agree with anything that hurts the credibility of a religion they dislike? I'm not even trying to prove anything at this point, I just think it's laughable how people often don't second-guess anything that supports their own opinions.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-16 02:03:09
Link | Citer | R

Great. Now show me in the Bible exactly where it states the location where the Great Flood took place. Also, boats can move.

The Book of Genesis 8:4

"the Ark came to rest "on the mountains of Ararat."

Seems everything comes down to Sumerian Myth and Lore. The earliest recording of the Great Flood story is from the Sumerian Epic of Ziusudra.

Quote:
The tale of Ziusudra is known from a single fragmentary tablet written in Sumerian, datable by its script to the 17th century BC (Old Babylonian Empire), and published in 1914 by Arno Poebel. The first part deals with the creation of man and the animals and the founding of the first cities Eridu, Bad-tibira, Larsa, Sippar, and Shuruppak. After a missing section in the tablet, we learn that the gods have decided to send a flood to destroy mankind. The god Enki (lord of the underworld sea of fresh water and Sumerian equivalent of Babylonian god Ea) warns Ziusudra, the ruler of Shuruppak, to build a large boat; the passage describing the directions for the boat is also lost. When the tablet resumes, it is describing the flood. A terrible storm raged for seven days, "the huge boat had been tossed about on the great waters," then Utu (Sun) appears and Ziusudra opens a window, prostrates himself, and sacrifices an ox and a sheep. After another break, the text resumes, the flood is apparently over, and Ziusudra is prostrating himself before An (Sky) and Enlil (Lordbreath), who give him "breath eternal" and take him to dwell in Dilmun. The remainder of the poem is lost. (text of Ziusudra epic)

The Epic of Ziusudra adds an element at lines 258–261 not found in other versions, that after the river flood "king Ziusudra ... they caused to dwell in the land of the country of Dilmun, the place where the sun rises". Dilmun is usually identified as Bahrain, an island in the Persian Gulf on the east side of the Arabian peninsula. In this version of the story, Ziusudra's boat floats down the Euphrates river into the Persian Gulf (rather than up onto a mountain, or up-stream to Kish). The Sumerian word KUR in line 140 of the Gilgamesh flood myth was interpreted to mean "mountain" in Akkadian, although in Sumerian, KUR did not mean "mountain" but rather "land", especially a foreign country.

A Sumerian document known as The Instructions of Shuruppak dated by Kramer to about 2500 BC, refers in a later version to Ziusudra. Kramer concluded that "Ziusudra had become a venerable figure in literary tradition by the middle of the third millennium B.C."
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-09-16 02:08:49
Link | Citer | R

There is physical evidence of a Great Flood as told in the Epic of Ziusudra, The Epic of Gilgamesh, etc., but no geological evidence of one happening during the time, or region as told in the Book of Genesis.

Quote:
Searches for Noah's Ark

Searches for Noah's Ark, sometimes mockingly referred to as "arkeology", have been made from at least the time of Eusebius (c.275–339 AD) to the present day. Despite many expeditions, no scientific evidence of the ark has been found. The practice is widely regarded as pseudoarchaeology.

Quote:
Flood geology

Flood geology is the religiously inspired interpretation of the geological history of the Earth in terms of the global flood described in Genesis 6–9. Similar views played a part in the early development of the science of geology, even after the Biblical chronology had been rejected by geologists in favour of an ancient Earth. Flood geology is a field of study within creation science, which is a part of young Earth creationism.

Modern geology, its sub-disciplines and other scientific disciplines utilize the scientific method to analyze the geology of the earth. Flood geology contradicts the scientific consensus in geology and paleontology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, cosmology, biology, geophysics and stratigraphy. There is a lack of any evidence for any of the effects proposed by flood geologists, and their claims of fossil layering are not taken seriously by scientists. The key tenets of flood geology are refuted by scientific analysis, and in the scientific community it is considered to be pseudoscience.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 02:15:19
Link | Citer | R

"the Ark came to rest "on the mountains of Ararat."

Good, I was waiting for that one. Now if we can only get biblical scholars to agree on where exactly that was, since there are some who contend that it was not the mountains of present-day Armenia.

There is physical evidence of a Great Flood as told in the Epic of Ziusudra, The Epic of Gilgamesh, etc., but no geological evidence of one happening during the time, or region as told in the Book of Genesis.

Again, there is no exact date in the Old Testament, so you have to pull a number from an unverifiable source. You're trying, though, so I'll give you credit for that.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-16 03:30:14
Link | Citer | R

Where, and by who?
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-09-16 04:04:51
Link | Citer | R

Mmkay, so now we have a few people who think the biblical flood is total nonsense but who think the Gilgamesh flood could be based on a real event, even though they have nothing saying that the biblical flood occurred in a different place. Does anyone here actually research this stuff, or is it just a kneejerk reaction to agree with anything that hurts the credibility of a religion they dislike? I'm not even trying to prove anything at this point, I just think it's laughable how people often don't second-guess anything that supports their own opinions.
There are people who research this stuff.This poorly formatted article actually provides quite a few links.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2014-09-16 07:11:53
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
There are people who research this stuff.This poorly formatted article actually provides quite a few links.

I was referring to people in this thread, but thanks for the link. From what I've read so far, it seems like a scientific and unbiased article.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-09-16 10:36:08
Link | Citer | R

War on Ebola!

Quote:
The United States is dramatically escalating its efforts to combat the spread of Ebola in West Africa, President Barack Obama will announce Tuesday during a visit to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

The unprecedented response will include the deployment of 3,000 U.S. military forces and more than $500 million in defense spending drawn from funding normally used for efforts like the war in Afghanistan, senior administration officials outlined Monday. Obama has called America’s response to the disease a “national-security priority,” with top foreign policy and defense officials leading the government’s efforts.

The officials said Obama believes that in order to best contain the disease, the U.S. must “lead” the global response effort. In the CDC’s largest deployment in response to an epidemic, more than 100 officials from the agency are currently on the ground and $175 million has been allocated to West Africa to help combat the spread of Ebola. Those efforts will be expanded with the assistance of U.S. Africa Command, which will deploy logistics, command and control, medical, and engineering resources to affected countries.

Officials said that the Department of Defense is seeking to “reprogram” $500 million in funding from the department’s “overseas contingency operations” fund to assist in the response. Obama has also requested another $88 million from Congress for the U.S. response, including $58 million to expedite the development of experimental treatments for Ebola.

The Pentagon will deliver 130,000 sets of personal protective equipment, thousands of kits used to test for the disease, two additional mobile lab units (one is already on the ground), and a 25-bed mobile hospital to the region. In addition, Africa Command engineers will construct additional treatment units, while the others set up a training center for to educate up to 500 health workers per week. The United States Agency for International Development will also airlift tens of thousands of home health kits and protection kits, including disinfectants and protective equipment, to be delivered to communities affected by the outbreak.

The U.S. effort, named Operation United Assistance, will be based out of Monrovia, Liberia, the country hardest hit by the Ebola epidemic and where the disease is currently spreading fastest, and will be commanded by an Army general. Obama’s announcement follows weeks of calls from global health organizations that global assistance, in particular American help, is needed to address the disease.

The World Health Organization announced last week that as of Sept. 7, there have been 4,366 confirmed, suspected, or probable cases of the disease, with 2,218 deaths. More troubling is the pace of infections, which has steadily risen despite local, regional, and international containment efforts. The WHO has predicted “thousands” of new infections in the coming weeks, calling on the global community to make an “exponential increase” in its response efforts.

U.S. officials have maintained that there is a minimal threat to the United States from the disease, but Obama warned in an interview earlier this month with NBC’s Meet The Press that failing to act could elevate the risk to the nation. “If we don’t make that effort now, and this spreads not just through Africa but other parts of the world, there’s the prospect then that the virus mutates,” Obama said. “It becomes more easily transmittable. And then it could be a serious danger to the United States.”
U.S. to Commit $500 Million, Deploy 3,000 Troops in Ebola Fight
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-09-16 10:40:56
Link | Citer | R

Figures that's Obama's solution to finding a cure for a virus is to kill people....

(incoming "but that's not what he is doing, he is waging war on the virus, not the people who carry it..." argument)
By Jetackuu 2014-09-16 10:46:07
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Figures that's Obama's solution to finding a cure for a virus is to kill people....

(incoming "but that's not what he is doing, he is waging war on the virus, not the people who carry it..." argument)
Where in any of that did it say they were going to kill anyone?
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 17 18 19