Helpful Tip, FFXIAH And Google Translator.

Eorzea Time

Langues: JP EN FR DE
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Helpful tip, FFXIAH and Google Translator.
Helpful tip, FFXIAH and Google Translator.
 Lakshmi.Aristippus
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: MrIdea
By Lakshmi.Aristippus 2014-04-24 08:33:18
Link | Citer | R

Copy the JP shouts into google translator, it'll give you an idea of what they are up to.
A chatlog app like Myproject also lets you do this for party chatter.

Example:
Himawary : カザスカ111+443無料でいきます、サチコメ参照の上テル下さい PortJeuno
Himawary : カザスカ111+443無料でいきます、サチコメ参照の上テル下さい、詩1精霊1募集 WestAdoulin
Himawary : カザスカ111+443無料でいきます、サチコメ参照の上テル下さい、詩1精霊1募集 WestAdoulin

=

Himawary: I go in the 111 free Tasu443 Kazasuka, PortJeuno please tell on the Sachikome reference
Himawary: I go in the 111 free Tasu443 Kazasuka, please tell on the Sachikome reference, verse 1 spirit 1 recruitment WestAdoulin
Himawary: I go in the 111 free Tasu443 Kazasuka, please tell on the Sachikome reference, verse 1 spirit 1 recruitment WestAdoulin
[+]
 Shiva.Rucks
Serveur: Shiva
user: Seravolk
By Shiva.Rucks 2014-04-24 08:37:35
Link | Citer | R

And then when you ask if they need something, you get JP ONRY!
[+]
By Pantafernando 2014-04-24 08:54:40
Link | Citer | R

Could swear its a skirmish shout.
 Asura.Railbender
Serveur: Asura
user: Toknherb
By Asura.Railbender 2014-04-24 09:31:36
Link | Citer | R

All you have to do is right click the Japanese words on the main page there of ffxiah.com and click "translate to English" and it will translate the entire block of all shouts and keep translating until you close window.
By fonewear 2014-04-24 09:42:56
Link | Citer | R

Translation my ethnic origin prevents me from playing FFXI with you.
 Alexander.Carrelo
Serveur: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-04-24 15:33:23
Link | Citer | R

The problem is the part there that says to reference the shouter's サチコメ。 Google translate tells you it's pronounced "sachikome," but it's a bit of a leap from there to "search comment" unless you're used to transliterating borrowed English words into or from Japanese.

A second problem is when you actually check the person's seacom. Due to the limited space, Japanese seacoms are usually very condensed and full of shorthand (like "sachikome" instead of "sachikomento"). I've admittedly never tried to use a translator for it, but I don't see it working out too well.

At any rate, they use seacoms to list which jobs they want, how many members they have/need, whether drops will be free lot or reserved in advance, and sometimes other random stuff like whether the melees need to eat sushi or have enough acc for meat. If using a translator somehow allows you to sneak into the group without being able to understand some of these directions, you're probably going to embarrass yourself or even jeopardize the run.

The whole JP onry thing is an issue of communication, not xenophobia. Aside from being very limited in general, the autotranslate function is a pain in the *** for Japanese players to use. In English, we write everything in the same script (roman lettering). To autotranslate, we can just type a few letters and be done with it. Japanese, on the other hand, uses 3 different scripts (Chinese characters, hiragana, and katakana). Most nouns/verbs/adjectives/etc can be written in kanji (Chinese characters), but some of them are more commonly written out in hiragana (the basic phonetic writing system). Katakana is used mainly for borrowed foreign words, made-up words (hi2u fantasy world), and onomatopoeia. The problem is that everything in the autotranslate dictionary is only ever written one way; Japanese players have to know exactly how the term is written in the autotranslator, toggle to the proper script, and then translate. All that work for a chance to maybe get their point across to you. Pickup groups are enough of a gamble without bringing along someone who can't understand what you're saying.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-04-24 15:56:41
Link | Citer | R

They could have solved all this by giving Japanese their own servers.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-04-24 17:40:28
Link | Citer | R

fonewear said: »
They could have solved all this by giving Japanese their own servers.
They did that with XIV and I find that it isn't quite the same experience. XI has broadened my cultural horizons more than any other thing in life. So I'm sad to see it go.
[+]
 Sylph.Shipp
Serveur: Sylph
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-04-26 07:13:27
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Carrelo said: »
The problem is the part there that says to reference the shouter's サチコメ。 Google translate tells you it's pronounced "sachikome," but it's a bit of a leap from there to "search comment" unless you're used to transliterating borrowed English words into or from Japanese.

A second problem is when you actually check the person's seacom. Due to the limited space, Japanese seacoms are usually very condensed and full of shorthand (like "sachikome" instead of "sachikomento"). I've admittedly never tried to use a translator for it, but I don't see it working out too well.

At any rate, they use seacoms to list which jobs they want, how many members they have/need, whether drops will be free lot or reserved in advance, and sometimes other random stuff like whether the melees need to eat sushi or have enough acc for meat. If using a translator somehow allows you to sneak into the group without being able to understand some of these directions, you're probably going to embarrass yourself or even jeopardize the run.

The whole JP onry thing is an issue of communication, not xenophobia. Aside from being very limited in general, the autotranslate function is a pain in the *** for Japanese players to use. In English, we write everything in the same script (roman lettering). To autotranslate, we can just type a few letters and be done with it. Japanese, on the other hand, uses 3 different scripts (Chinese characters, hiragana, and katakana). Most nouns/verbs/adjectives/etc can be written in kanji (Chinese characters), but some of them are more commonly written out in hiragana (the basic phonetic writing system). Katakana is used mainly for borrowed foreign words, made-up words (hi2u fantasy world), and onomatopoeia. The problem is that everything in the autotranslate dictionary is only ever written one way; Japanese players have to know exactly how the term is written in the autotranslator, toggle to the proper script, and then translate. All that work for a chance to maybe get their point across to you. Pickup groups are enough of a gamble without bringing along someone who can't understand what you're saying.
Eh, a lot of it is xenophobia. I've met plenty of cool JP players, but there are many that just won't group with you unless you're JP. Not because of the language barrier, though I'm sure that is true for many.

You're right about the shorthand though. That coupled with their penchant for unique job name slang which doesn't really have anything to do with the job itself. I can't remember much Japanese anymore, but I know on unicorn years ago they called WHM something similar to "healing defender" or something along those lines. It may seem obvious, but think of RDM and SCH. They only meant WHM when using the phrase. Wish I could remember the exact phase they used. It isn't even a translation thing like Dragoon being "Dragon Knight" (the actual japanese translation) it was slang to describe specific jobs that weren't their actual names, even in Japanese.